Court Orders SOPA-Style Blackout of 100+ Music Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tell me again why governments needed SOPA when they have always been able to do this?

Every single ISP in India has been ordered to block 104 sites offering unauthorized music. A total of 387 ISPs must block the sites immediately via DNS and IP address blocking, backed up with Deep Packet Inspection. While the IFPI praised the action, their Indian counterparts are singing are more interesting tune – they don’t want to destroy their opponents, but bring them into the business.

... Because they would have been able to do this without ever visiting a court? At least now they have to go through the trouble of finding a judge to pay off ;).

This whole copyright business reminds me of the scene in Gladiator when Commodus sends assassins to murder those disloyal to him, cleaning house, attacking all his enemies on all fronts. I feel like there should be a musical montage of the RIAA and MPAA taking out countries one by one. The governments are more than happy to cooperate, too, because broad copyright enforcement gives them more money and more power. They don't even care about the RIAA or MPAA; they're just happy to have another excuse to abuse citizens.

It's just sick, evil stuff and it's worldwide. In earlier times of history, you could jump on a boat and seek refuge in a country with more reasonable laws, but now the whole planet has sovereign governments that are all kowtowing to the RIAA and there's nowhere to go.

They cheat, they lie, they openly bribe and threaten lawmakers.

“In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy.” -Fran Lebowitz
We might have to alter that from "this country" to "this world".

I'm not familiar with networking, but can VPN overcome deep packet inspection? Whatever that is.

I'm not familiar with networking, but can VPN overcome deep packet inspection?
Yup! They can't inspect what they can't decrypt. I have a feeling that paying extra for freedom is going to become the norm fairly soon.

Like we really need laws?

Come on you know all america has to do is put political pressure on some countries and they will fold

Ironically, in maybe 20 years, you can probably replace America with China at the rate things are going and include America in the list of some countries.

"This whole copyright business reminds me of the scene in Gladiator when Commodus sends assassins to murder those disloyal to him, cleaning house, attacking all his enemies on all fronts."

This is never a good way to start off a point to be made.

This whole copyright business reminds me of the scene in Gladiator when Commodus sends assassins to murder those disloyal to him, cleaning house, attacking all his enemies on all fronts. I feel like there should be a musical montage of the RIAA and MPAA taking out countries one by one. The governments are more than happy to cooperate, too, because broad copyright enforcement gives them more money and more power. They don't even care about the RIAA or MPAA; they're just happy to have another excuse to abuse citizens.

It's just sick, evil stuff and it's worldwide. In earlier times of history, you could jump on a boat and seek refuge in a country with more reasonable laws, but now the whole planet has sovereign governments that are all kowtowing to the RIAA and there's nowhere to go.

They cheat, they lie, they openly bribe and threaten lawmakers.

“In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy.” -Fran Lebowitz
We might have to alter that from "this country" to "this world".

Well, that's not really capitalism. Economic facism is where government picks certain businesses to succeed. The RIAA and MPAA are powerless if they weren't in bed with the government.

Yup! They can't inspect what they can't decrypt. I have a feeling that paying extra for freedom is going to become the norm fairly soon.

Miss the article on the [H]ard front page about NSA building their largest facility for cryptography... :eek:

If SOPA passed then the government could shut down any site with an accusation of infringement without a court order, and the site would have to go through the legal hoops to go back online. Perfect to have if the civil unrest in other countries finds its way to the US, as Facebook, Twitter, and the like has at least one user dancing to a sample of a song, and SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA would allow you to easily kill this form of communication. This is what they want veiled in protecting IP laws, when they could just enforce the current laws.

When they do it this way, is due process involved?

SOPA there was no due process.

I'd like to know the actual details behind it all.

For one, this is in India, so SOPA doesnt apply they already have their own laws in place which , as per the article:

Indian film companies have previously obtained court orders to have sites blocked at the ISP level but in recent weeks the IMI, the RIAA-like Indian Music Industry trade group, has shown the movie industry how it’s really done.

In a series of court actions at the Calcutta High Court, 142 music companies of the IMI have succeeded in obtaining orders to force every ISP in India – 387 in total – to block 104 sites (list here) the industry accuses of online piracy.

Court orders were obtained to shut down these sites, not just some unjust claim that SOPA would allow the U.S government to use to get any site shut down.

Well, that's not really capitalism. Economic facism is where government picks certain businesses to succeed. The RIAA and MPAA are powerless if they weren't in bed with the government.
The businesses pick certain lawmakers to succeed, from what I can tell.

I think you and I can agree on one point:
Powerful people are rigging the system. You and I are just quibbling over which ones it is. The real solution is not to concentrate too much power on anyone, regardless of whether it's government or corporation. We both know that they feed off each other.

The left thinks it's the businesses. The right thinks it's the government; they're both correct! I think we should unify and select candidates not based on any other political issue than "do they want to decentralize power and influence?"

Soon all of you will be using VPN's to access the unfiltered internet if this continues. I already have to. I live in China. What is your excuse?

The left thinks it's the businesses. The right thinks it's the government; they're both correct! I think we should unify and select candidates not based on any other political issue than "do they want to decentralize power and influence?"

I... agree with you on something. :eek:

Back