Teenager Wins Intel Science Talent Search

HardOCP News

[H] News
From medical treatments to alternative energy solutions, innovation has been top of mind in our nation's capital this week. Honoring high school seniors with exceptional promise in math and science, Intel Corporation and Society for Science & the Public (SSP) recognized the winners of the nation's most elite and demanding high school research competition, the Intel Science Talent Search.

Nithin Tumma, 17, of Fort Gratiot, Mich., won the top award of $100,000 from the Intel Foundation for his research, which could lead to more direct, targeted, effective and less toxic breast cancer treatments. He analyzed the molecular mechanisms in cancer cells and found that by inhibiting certain proteins, we may be able to slow the growth of cancer cells and decrease their malignancy. Nithin is first in his class of 332, a varsity tennis player and a volunteer for the Port Huron Museum, where he started a restoration effort for historical and cultural landmarks.

Good, I hope he goes to work for AMD. Apple & AMD proved that a handful of gifted creative people can easily beat a big monopoly. We need some competition.

The competition itself is for high school students, so it's kind of redundant saying it's a teenager that won it

I know this thread is about the 1st place fellow, but we should not neglect the promise of the others!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKSpHLQCIMo&feature=relmfu - 2nd place Andrey Sushko and his distinguished unibrow! Smart guy...actually says some similar things in his video in that he doesn't hold a high regard for facts (memorization vs conceptual understanding). Nithin instead compared knowledge (which he described as easy to come by) to imagination.

Yea... I end up watching a few of these each year.

He's clearly very bright, but 100K is a bit on the excessive side.

He's clearly very bright, but 100K is a bit on the excessive side.

Why do you say that? Jealous much? ;)
Seriously, Intel will make a crap ton more money from this and the kid just helped a lot of people, I would say it was a fair trade.

I was hoping that homeless girl would win , she actually had a good idea too.
Im glad this guy also won , my mom died of cancer and its a horrible f'n disease. Anything that can slow that bastard down will be awesome.

In other news , big pharma just paid the kid 500k for giving them his idea. Patent that stuff fast

Why do you say that? Jealous much? ;)
Seriously, Intel will make a crap ton more money from this and the kid just helped a lot of people, I would say it was a fair trade.

A little jealous, obviously. but the prize is excessive.

Intel gets great publicity, but it would be much better to have a bunch of 10K prizes rather than these massive sums. There are thousands of researchers (grad students and postdocs) who make less than half this prize in a year and are doing just as innovative research, if not more, than the work this kid did. You seem to be giving this kid all the credit when his mentor probably conceived of the majority of the project.

Who did he help? He did cancer research, he didn't cure cancer. This was basic research, which is certainly important, but it's not helping people in any way that can be predicted. From the video he appears very smart, so I would guess it is probably about 5-6 years more advanced than most people his age, but does that really mean he deserves 100k?

In other news , big pharma just paid the kid 500k for giving them his idea. Patent that stuff fast

All the research he did is owned by the university where he did it, so no one can pay him for the idea. What exactly is he going to patent? I still haven't seen the details on his research.

From the video he appears very smart, so I would guess it is probably about 5-6 years more advanced than most people his age, but does that really mean he deserves 100k?
Well, since the prize money was given from Intel, a corporation, let them give whatever amount they want! After all, it's their money, so who are we to decide what is too much or too little?

Well, since the prize money was given from Intel, a corporation, let them give whatever amount they want! After all, it's their money, so who are we to decide what is too much or too little?

I am not deciding anything, I am pointing out that 100k is excessive. That doesn't mean it's "too much."

Back