Jury Convicts AU Optronics of LCD Price-Fixing

HardOCP News

[H] News
You can add these guys to the list of companies busted for LCD price-fixing.

A U.S. jury found AU Optronics Corp guilty of criminal price-fixing in a case in which the Taiwan-based electronics company was accused of conspiring with other manufacturers of liquid crystal display panels. Former company Chief Executive L.J. Chen was found not guilty of conspiring to fix prices. Family members wept with relief when the verdict was read out on Tuesday in a San Francisco federal courtroom.

It was committed abroad. Wonder how the judge think it's fine their laws can apply to something that happened on foreign soil. Yes I realize someone will jump in and say well that wikileak guy was also guilty doing something else abroad so why should this be any different, but then I always thought that US laws apply the US only.
If US laws apply to other countries, then why isn't the US bringing China to court for their human rights violation or some other random country's companies polluting more than US law allow?

Not trolling btw.

It was committed abroad. Wonder how the judge think it's fine their laws can apply to something that happened on foreign soil. Yes I realize someone will jump in and say well that wikileak guy was also guilty doing something else abroad so why should this be any different, but then I always thought that US laws apply the US only.
If US laws apply to other countries, then why isn't the US bringing China to court for their human rights violation or some other random country's companies polluting more than US law allow?

Not trolling btw.

But they sell to American companies, which I think allows the government to intervene, not sure on that though.

I find it funny though how oil companies are allowed to do this(closing drilling areas to increase demand/price)

Price fixing? Wait, that doesn't happen because my economy books and Fox News tell me that unrestrained capitalism is better than God and needs to be left unregulated.

pfft, picking on the weak yet again.

If the goverment has balls they would have attacked IRAN already.

so, NO BALLS.

Back