Jet Pack Guy Racing a Car

What we really need to see is Jeb Corliss landing his wingsuited self in an open Tesla roadster doing 150mph down Pikes Peak.

Boo. Yves Rossy won against a rally car driven by Toni Gardemeister (but only just).

I had thought that it was going to be a guy on skates powered by a jet-pack. I'm disappointed :(

I had thought that it was going to be a guy on skates powered by a jet-pack. I'm disappointed :(
Me too! Although I was imagining something a bit more bulky as far as wheels.

That said I agree with Steve, anyone can drive a car a quarter mile, how many people get to fly a quarter mile without wings?

If you give the jet pack an extra hundred years to be developed like automobile has I'm sure it would be a fair race. Let's so that thing go against something circa 1920s.

If you give the jet pack an extra hundred years to be developed like automobile has I'm sure it would be a fair race. Let's so that thing go against something circa 1920s.
Well to be fair that's far from the fastest car around as well. :p Working jet packs have been around for over 50 years, working helicopters almost 80 years, automobiles almost 120 years.

What we really need to see is Jeb Corliss landing his wingsuited self in an open Tesla roadster doing 150mph down Pikes Peak.

I don't think he's going to be doing that for a while :p

The jet pack guy from a recent Top Gear US episode beat an autocross car, although that looked a bit fixed. : \

And yes, that blonde is pretty ... sweet. ;)

The automobile just has to go forward, but the jet guy has to go up, be stable, then fly forward. Doesn't seem like a fair race.

The current working jetpack can keep a sustained speed of about 125mph and was used to cross the english channel.

Not sure if further development is feasable because nobody's crazy enough to attempt liftoff speed five feet off the ground?

The jet pack guy from a recent Top Gear US episode beat an autocross car, although that looked a bit fixed. : \
*shock* you don't say! Top Gear might not "report" on tests that are terribly accurate? Get the hell out of here!

he looks like a douchebag and the girl like a lesbo... still would though... the girl... :D

And yes, that blonde is pretty ... sweet. ;)

US top gear races are always blatantly fake >< BBC ones however seem pretty legit.

I know this is kind of off topic but wouldn't a jet pack mean that the engine would take in air to move? Isn't this more of a rocket pack because it uses self contained fuel and air tanks?

This is a jetpack.

jetman_flight11.jpg

The automobile just has to go forward, but the jet guy has to go up, be stable, then fly forward. Doesn't seem like a fair race.

The jetpack only has to overcome aerodynamic drag. The car has to overcome aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance. Doesn't seem like a fair race :p

Is it just me or is Youtube just stupidly slow the last few days. This one minute clip took my connection three minutes to download. It is usually much faster than that but the last few days all clips fom YouTube have taken forever.

US Top Gear = the Suck
While I wouldn't disagree with you on that, I will say that I have more faith in Tanner Faust on US Top Gear as a driver than any of the hosts on BBC Top Gear. That being said, it doesn't matter since the "race" segments are staged, on both shows.

After giving Top Gear US a chance, it's actually bearable to watch... but when they (often) copy entire BBC Top Gear segments it's noticeably worse on Top Gear US. That's why I wish they did more original content, because it's not as obvious then. I still find it entertaining either way. I just wish they got Jay Leno to host it... Not for his comedy, but for his love of all things motorized.

*shock* you don't say! Top Gear might not "report" on tests that are terribly accurate? Get the hell out of here!
LOL

US top gear races are always blatantly fake >< BBC ones however seem pretty legit.
I think both the US and UK versions of TG races look equally staged, IMO. But they're still entertaining. Kind of like WWE wrestling - it's not real, but still entertaining.

US Top Gear = the Suck
I think it's OK, even though they try to copy off UK.

While I wouldn't disagree with you on that, I will say that I have more faith in Tanner Faust on US Top Gear as a driver than any of the hosts on BBC Top Gear. That being said, it doesn't matter since the "race" segments are staged, on both shows.

After giving Top Gear US a chance, it's actually bearable to watch... but when they (often) copy entire BBC Top Gear segments it's noticeably worse on Top Gear US. That's why I wish they did more original content, because it's not as obvious then. I still find it entertaining either way. I just wish they got Jay Leno to host it... Not for his comedy, but for his love of all things motorized.
I like Adam and Tanner, but can't stand Rutledge. I wish they'd replace Rutledge with Adam Carolla (even though there would be two Adams on the show) or Brian Cooley from CNET, who is hilarious. Rutledge has that smirk I want to smack off and a weird delivery of lame jokes. Leno would be a good choice, too, but he's way too busy with his Tonight Show and stand-up gigs.

I like Adam and Tanner, but can't stand Rutledge. I wish they'd replace Rutledge with Adam Carolla (even though there would be two Adams on the show) or Brian Cooley from CNET, who is hilarious. Rutledge has that smirk I want to smack off and a weird delivery of lame jokes. Leno would be a good choice, too, but he's way too busy with his Tonight Show and stand-up gigs.
I'd actually rather get rid of adam, and keep Rutledge, but I guess us bearded folks just stick together like that. Never been a huge fan of the nuyalk accent, but that's just me. Rutledge's jokes are lame, but other than that he seems fine.

The other problem with Leno is that he tends to go on and on about a particular subject too long for standard TV. It you watch his Leno's Garage web series (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/), he goes into intricate detail in the cars about even mundane details. I love it, especially when he goes into things like steam cars, but it would need to be dialed back for Top Gear.

I'd actually rather get rid of adam, and keep Rutledge, but I guess us bearded folks just stick together like that. Never been a huge fan of the nuyalk accent, but that's just me. Rutledge's jokes are lame, but other than that he seems fine.

The other problem with Leno is that he tends to go on and on about a particular subject too long for standard TV. It you watch his Leno's Garage web series (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/), he goes into intricate detail in the cars about even mundane details. I love it, especially when he goes into things like steam cars, but it would need to be dialed back for Top Gear.
I guess I should make a disclosure (like you did about the beard thing) that I'm originally from NJ, so maybe that's why I not only tolerate but enjoy listening to Adam speak, NY accent and all. Rutledge does some lame things, like in that jet pack race, he was going some 5 mph less than the speed limit, which was ticking off Tanner as well.

Yeah, Leno is very knowledgeable about cars and it's cool to see him all denim'd out in his garage. He is definitely living the good life. :cool:

Back