Microsoft to Close Windows Mobile Marketplace

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Following up on their statement from 2010, Microsoft has announced that it will be closing Windows Mobile Marketplace completely on May 9th. The Marketplace stopped taking App submissions in May 2011.

“Starting on this date, you will no longer be able to browse, buy, or download applications directly on your Windows Mobile 6.x phone using the Windows Mobile 6.x Marketplace application and service.”

There was an app store? That would've been nice to know when I was running a WinMo6.5 device (pre-OGDroid).

I'm sure they're only getting primed to open the new Windows 8 app Metro-Maketplace.

There was an app store? That would've been nice to know when I was running a WinMo6.5 device (pre-OGDroid).

Yep they did, long time ago. It was introduced shortly after iPhone was released. Pretty easy to get, if you installed a custom rom. Nearly all of them came with it. Can't remember the last time I used one of those phones.

Keep in mind back in those days app store prices were WAY higher than we're used to on iOS/Android now. $20-50 an app wasn't uncommon.

Back