Pedestrian Airbag Technology

lol! :p Well, it seems like a good idea, maybe better if the airbags end up being transparent, too :)

Wonderful. More weight and increased cost in allready overburdened and overpriced modern automobiles.

New front bumper = $600

New front grille = $200

New hood = $800

New hood airbag = $1500

New fancy hood struts that pop it up in the collision = $500

Getting sued by the pedestrian anyway = priceless

New front bumper = $600

New front grille = $200

New hood = $800

New hood airbag = $1500

New fancy hood struts that pop it up in the collision = $500

Getting sued by the pedestrian anyway = priceless

If you think about it, Volvo is a chinese company now. Makes a lot of sense for that region (ever try to be a pedestrian in Beijing? Don't cross the street)

awesome, so then you get blinded as a driver and hit even more people.

Go Volvo! Stupid pedestrians. They should make a device in the grill that when it senses that someone is in the road in front of the car it ejects a boxing glove and knocks the pedestrian out of the way. :D

I thought it was going to be like a blow fish and have air bags come out everywhere.
I think that would have been better... or at least more entertaining.

This is a stupid idea IMO. They want to put all of that time, money, and manpower into designing something that will lower your injuries if you get hit by a car and land on the windshield. It's such a niche situation, I mean how many other different ways can a body travel after getting hit by a car, know what I mean? Instead of spending thousands of dollars on bullshit, offer complimentary defensive driving courses or something. It'll save a lot more lives, and not just if you hit someone and they land on your windshield. Maybe we can avoid the hitting the pedestrian part entirely.

Does an accident lawyer also pop out of the bumper when the airbag is deployed? What about the environmental concerns? I'm sure there's some sort of non-greenie product that gets spread over the environment when one of those bags goes off. Save a human, hurt a tree. Tongue-in-cheek here.

Does it come with a sensor to record the distance a pedestrian travels after bouncing off the airbag?

Seems kind of pointless. If you're going fast enough, the pedestrian's pretty much dead anyways. I hope these kinds of things don't become mandatory, then the price of cars will go up by $2000 or something to offset the cost. I feel bad for any pedestrian who gets hit, especially if it's not their fault, but the cost benefit ratio just doesn't swing in favor of putting something like this in a car.

This is a stupid idea IMO. They want to put all of that time, money, and manpower into designing something that will lower your injuries if you get hit by a car and land on the windshield. It's such a niche situation, I mean how many other different ways can a body travel after getting hit by a car, know what I mean? Instead of spending thousands of dollars on bullshit, offer complimentary defensive driving courses or something. It'll save a lot more lives, and not just if you hit someone and they land on your windshield. Maybe we can avoid the hitting the pedestrian part entirely.

I suspect that the scenario is pretty common. I'm guessing the #2 source of fatalities/insurance costs for hitting a pedestrian. I'm guessing #1 was going under the bumper and getting crushed/dragged as that issue has been addressed in a lot of vehicles with bumper redesigns. I've only seen a couple of pedestrians get hit in person. They both bounced off the windshield before going over the top of the vehicle. I think between getting sucked under, and getting bounced off the windshield, you have covered 2 of the 3 most common ones, and that other one is backing over people you don't see at low speeds. Which is why we have rear view camera regulations pending.

They've been using suits like this in MotoGP (and other motorcycle racing) for awhile now to prevent/lessen injuries. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_LSihQvh0g

It doesn't seem like something the average person is ever going to use though. Racing a motorcycle at 200mph is A LOT more risky than walking down the road to buy groceries. How many pedestrians do you see wearing helmets (protecting the most critical part of your body)? If people don't even wear helmets why would they wear a suit like this?

Another way for them to take your money. Most car companies think like this these days:

How can we make them come to dealer and not any cheap shops? I got it!! proprietary parts and special parts that requires special tools.
We need to decrease engine bay space so they can't work on it? Gotta bring it to us, the dealer.
Add lots of air bags and security so almost every part breaks during a collision and crinkles.
Add a lot of useless features as it increases the potential for a failure at some point.
Build the cars not to last but to collapse after a certain mileage.
Make the battery cost a fortune to replace and make it special order so they can come back to the dealer for parts.
Make sure there's no aftermarket support.
Make changing parts a hassle and a pain.

We got them now lol.

Pretty much what they are trying to do these days on newer vehicles.

Go Volvo! Stupid pedestrians. They should make a device in the grill that when it senses that someone is in the road in front of the car it ejects a boxing glove and knocks the pedestrian out of the way. :D

The railroad industry already figured out how to deal with issues "similar" to this a long time ago

CowCatcher.jpg

stupid, driver can't see.

and haven't you seen in the movies......... the jaywalker still hits and cracks the top center of the windshield, so you're gonna have a big fat repair bill.

this tech is fail, the speed of the car will kill him still and even pillows will feed like bricks.

This is as gay as the noise emitters that are soon to be required on electric cars.

I'm I the only living fuck on this planet with the concept if you are driving you are to be on guard for road hazards and if you are a pedestrian you should do the same. Every time I see a person their eyes are glued to an i-device, don't know where the fuck they are whether they are walking, driving ect ect ect....

Wake the fuck up people, you are not the only one out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3AiU3JIRBw&feature=related

It's very stupid. Firstly, it looks like a deflector or a sort of air bag. There's no guarantee that the pedestrian will even deflect to the windshield of the car. Second, it's more components, and more weight. It'll lower gas mileage and make for costly repairs. Thirdly, the effort would be better spent to use front facing cameras to determine if the car is on a crash course to hit a pedestrian. Something like Xbox Kinect cameras would do wonders.

my mom just almost died when the idiots in front of her hit a horse at 70 mph.

People don't pay attention at all when they drive, folks don't think when they walk, and sadly so commonplace is driving people don't realize they are in 70mph missiles of death.

I really dislike people in general, 90 percent of em have their head in thier ass.

I think this simulation is missing some physics, I think that windscreen airbag will act more like those retards that run into each other with yoga balls.

What are they thinking? Are their engineers that bored- or is the idea tank empty? Cars are already very expensive. Do I want to pay extra for this feature?

Hell no.

Volvo might as well refer to this design as the "failed design of the century!" What is so hard mounting a small sonar or radar on the car's front bumper to alert the driver and if all fails eject a safety air bag for the pedestrian or object that will be hit!

If you think about it, Volvo is a chinese company now. Makes a lot of sense for that region (ever try to be a pedestrian in Beijing? Don't cross the street)

For that matter, they are using common sense...in the states at least too many bumbling fools cross the street without looking both ways, too busy on their cell phone (either texting or talking), or feel they have the right to run in front of a car anyway because the car will yield to them...

Or...in "some communities," feel the need to dance across the street with the expectation cars will also stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r58_bRZLeLw&feature=related

If a car is traveling fast enough to propell you in the air, throw you on the windshield and f* up the entire front end...well these air bags will only soften the blow.

We all should drive around in beach balls. Problem solved and my deductible will love it too. ;)

Makes me think of an old Rick Overton standup bit about making cars out of Nerf. "Run over your friends for fun!" :D
(sorry, haven't been able to find any vid)

Would make more sense to put an advanced sensors system into the car which detects humans/objects and automatically slows down the car to avoid hitting them, or anything else, in the first place

Back