We Are All Going To Die! Solar Flare Edition

When my popcorn pops itself it will be time for the show!

Better break out the SPF100 for my driving into work and home again

*puts on aluminum foil hat* let the show begin...

Finally, I have been looking for a clip of the CME. Hopefully, the lights will a bit further south.

This year is the peak of this second 11-year cycle (of the longer 22-year cycle) within the 22nd solar cycle, the 23rd starting in or around 2018. I keep hearing "the biggest in five years!", which is really non-news.

Good thing I have been digging that fallout/tornado/solar flare/sex dungeon underground shelter in the back yard. Got enough canned beans to fart into the next decade. Plus all of Seinfeld on VHS! So come on over ladies... yeah not you... how about your friend there?

Good thing I have been digging that fallout/tornado/solar flare/sex dungeon underground shelter in the back yard. Got enough canned beans to fart into the next decade. Plus all of Seinfeld on VHS! So come on over ladies... yeah not you... how about your friend there?

I don't think I've ever seen a better pickup line.

Can any woman truly resist the lure of Seinfeld on VHS in a smelly sex dungeon with a complete stranger? I don't think so.

Damn. I hope there's a Vault nearby that isn't either filled with Gary clones, filled with hallucinogenic drugs, "I HATE NATE!" posters, and/or subliminal audio experiments.

Ok I know a guy, Harry Stamford, he's the best driller in the world, but he also knows how to fan a room out when someone drops a nasty fart in there, he can handle harmful gasses. All we need is is 8 months to train him and we can do this.

Wait how long until it gets here again?

Actually, due to the Magnetic Storm... you won't be getting any from the girl. Because your VHS Seinfeld tapes would be completely wiped ;)

Is that the kind of hot flash middle aged women experience during menopause? :confused:

The worst thing that a solar flare could do would be to make pretty lights in the sky and mess with communications a bit. We don't have to worry about our star killing us for a few billion years when it becomes a red giant and engulfs our planet. Now other stars could kill us with a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) but there is nothing that we can do to protect ourselves from that as it would pass right through the entire planet, cooking everything.

Is that the kind of hot flash middle aged women experience during menopause? :confused:

Humans would not have even had a chance to begin had the sun been anywhere near that volitile. The sun's menopause will hit in a good several billion years when it hits red giant stage and wipes us, and by us I mean our fossilized remains, out.

[QUOTE='[21CW] Now other stars could kill us with a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) but there is nothing that we can do to protect ourselves from that as it would pass right through the entire planet, cooking everything.[/QUOTE]
Not quite, a GRB won't pass through the planet, hell they wouldn't even make it to the ground. Granted they'd screw up the atmosphere but not as deep fried Earth as you're making out.

Are these solar flares the cause for the abnormally high temps we have been experiencing the today?

Not quite, a GRB won't pass through the planet, hell they wouldn't even make it to the ground. Granted they'd screw up the atmosphere but not as deep fried Earth as you're making out.
Actually I didn't do research and just relied on what the history channel has told me (damn you history channel and your deceptions). The amount of damage depends on how close the GRB is to Earth (and of course has to be pointed at us to do damage). One within our galaxy would do serious damage to our ecosystem and could cause mass extinction and lower our population (I doubt it would kill us off but I guess it could but it wouldn't be an overnight thing, maybe a generation or two).

Oh and Jutsu, solar flares don't have anything to do with temperatures on Earth, just EM interference but if the Earth didn't have an ionosphere then maybe it might have some effect on temperatures but I don't know enough about them to determine that (although I can't imagine that it would even be a noticeable change).

Humans would not have even had a chance to begin had the sun been anywhere near that volitile. The sun's menopause will hit in a good several billion years when it hits red giant stage and wipes us, and by us I mean our fossilized remains, out.
Good thing we won't be around to explain that burn. :cool:

AND THEN IT CAME!!!!!!

Electricity was just now knocked out in parts of Copenhagen, I was out shopping, standing in the supermarket, when all lights went out, we couldnt even get out because the doors wouldnt open, they had to get all customers out the backdoor. :D

Back