Researchers Say Laptop Communication Technologies Could Be 1,000x Faster

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh have generated a frequency comb with more than a 100 terahertz bandwidth that can carry 1,000 times the information compared to today’s technologies. :eek:

Many of the communication tools of today rely on the function of light or, more specifically, on applying information to a light wave. Up until now, studies on electronic and optical devices with materials that are the foundations of modern electronics—such as radio, TV, and computers—have generally relied on nonlinear optical effects, producing devices whose bandwidth has been limited to the gigahertz (GHz) frequency region. (Hertz stands for cycles per second of a periodic phenomenon, in this case 1billion cycles). Thanks to research performed at the University of Pittsburgh, a physical basis for terahertz bandwidth (THz, or 1 trillion cycles per second)—the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum between infrared and microwave light—has now been demonstrated.

I wonder what the health effects/implications are of this new frequency.. did you say it's close to microwave? hmmmm can't wait to have almost-microwaves bouncing through my skull in the not too distant future..

I wonder what the health effects/implications are of this new frequency.. did you say it's close to microwave? hmmmm can't wait to have almost-microwaves bouncing through my skull in the not too distant future..

It's well above microwave. Our current wifi is microwave frequency, in the 2.4GHz range. THz has great bandwidth implications, but I'll be very curious to see how they solve interference issues. The higher frequencies are blocked and corrupted much more readily by regular materials. Like air.

It's much more likely that these technologies will be used in fiber-optics, not laptops. The laptop/smartphone bit is likely ignorant journalistic license.

Aren't THz waves known to cause DNA damage/cancer? Seems like a bad idea to transmit them through the air and through people. Fiber and such seems like a good application though, so long as there isn't leakage.

Aren't THz waves known to cause DNA damage/cancer? Seems like a bad idea to transmit them through the air and through people. Fiber and such seems like a good application though, so long as there isn't leakage.
No, the low end of THz is still less powerful than infrared or visible light. Visible light is around 400-800 THz. And energy/photon is the primary thing that matters in terms of if it's capable of ionizing something.

Back