Why The Holdouts Aren't Buying An iPad 3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Network World has decided to ask its readers for reasons they are not buying an iPad 3. Most people are saying (the obvious) that a laptop does more for half the price, what's your reason for not buying an iPad 3?

As the Apple-obsessed slice of the technology world awaits today's iPad-next announcement, I asked my social-media followers these questions: If you do not own an iPad, or any other tablet, why not? And is there anything that Apple could do or say today that might get you to buy?

Too expensive and I only have a real need for so much IT crap.

I have 4 PCs, three laptops, one net book and a smart phone. I really just don't need anymore.

The only real use I'd see for a cheap tablet in our household would be for sitting on the coffee table for doing the "Oh where have I seen him before?" lookup on IMDB.

Thats about it.

Too expensive and I only have a real need for so much IT crap.

I have 4 PCs, three laptops, one net book and a smart phone. I really just don't need anymore.

The only real use I'd see for a cheap tablet in our household would be for sitting on the coffee table for doing the "Oh where have I seen him before?" lookup on IMDB.

Thats about it.

i personally like the ipad 2 and will be getting the ipad 3

Its light weight and easy to work with, can take it anywhere , long battery life.
I already have a gaming comptuer

As a developer I can't justify the need for a tablet, here is why:

1. I spend most of my day in front of a laptop.

2. In case I need something on the go my smartphone is more than enough for my needs.

3. You can't do development on a tablet.

However I am considering buying a Windows 8 tablet once they are available (I work with Microsoft technologies). With a keyboard dock and mouse it would replace my laptop.

You have a computer and can't develop on a tablet, but you may replace your computer with a tablet? Does not compute.

And, by running Ubuntu on it, it's like a tablet with a keyboard and mouse that does stuff.

Facsinating! :rolleyes:

Price and functionality (compared to laptops) are good reasons to avoid iPads if you don't have one, but the high resale value makes it pretty easy to upgrade from version to version, just like people do in FS/FT with video cards.

I have an iPad 1 and it's irreplaceable for my work for convenience factor. A small laptop could work, but it's a pain to deal with at airports. And I really enjoy reading books and multi-tasking on the iPad as a one stop work and entertainment gadget for travel. I will be buying an iPad 3. If I did not need one for work, I would probably settle for a Kindle Fire. My wife has one, and it's very nice for the price.

What does it do, that the previous two couldn't?

It's all well and good the screen is improved, as well as the CPU, and the possible 4G connection (kind of pointless as most people will just use Wi-Fi), but if it has all the same OS capabilities then it's not worth the $800 price tag.

I'm sure the sheep will flock for this one, but I don't see the attraction of throwing $800 a year at this product.

It's all well and good the screen is improved, as well as the CPU, and the possible 4G connection (kind of pointless as most people will just use Wi-Fi), but if it has all the same OS capabilities then it's not worth the $800 price tag.

I'm sure the sheep will flock for this one, but I don't see the attraction of throwing $800 a year at this product.

Has the price point been released? I bought my iPad 1 3g 16gb in the $500 range.

I don't care for tablets in general. I got a touchpad that's been collecting dust since I bought it, I just can't find any real use for it. If I wan to do programming, I use my laptop from work. If I want to game, I use my gaming rig. If I want to sit on the couch and surf the web, I use my iPhone (it's smaller and easier for me to hold). To me, tablets are okay for a lot of things, but not great at anything.

The ipad just cost way too much for me to be able to drop on it at once.

I don't care for tablets in general. I got a touchpad that's been collecting dust since I bought it, I just can't find any real use for it. If I wan to do programming, I use my laptop from work. If I want to game, I use my gaming rig. If I want to sit on the couch and surf the web, I use my iPhone (it's smaller and easier for me to hold). To me, tablets are okay for a lot of things, but not great at anything.

I can see a tablet being perfect for a long car ride, watch a movie on that sucker

I just can't fit a tablet in my life, though my couch would like a tablet because I never sit on it. If I could RDP my desktop with a tablet I could spend more time with my couch. Sympathizing with furniture, now that's crazy.

I find this post hilarious? Do you only upgrade your computer when a new meaningful OS update comes out? If so, then you had your xp computer a LOOOOOOOOONG time

What I said, should their moderators let it by:

Others have already gone to town on the price of an iPad V a Laptop.

I-tunes does not even do as well as second best. Perhaps it performs in a mac environment? I dont know. Even so it is still feature light. On my PC it is slow, buggy, and a PITA.

The Galaxy Tab, and others, have certain features like Memory card slot and GPS that is not cell subscription dependent, not to mention things like USB ports and flash.

iOS is slick and spiffy and nice, until you learn that you have to go though the hassle of Jail Breaking it to get away from Apple deciding what can and cant be done with hardware bought and paid for by a user. Cancel the warranty for Jail Breaking, a software only change, is corporate abuse and just plain wrong.

There are a lot of nice Apps on the Apple store, however the bulk of them are trash, even so, Apple still manages to censor and abuse the developers more then Android/Google.

Every iPad/Pod/Phone has a unique serial number that is transmitted to Apple via the app store and iTunes to be used. Despite this Apple has a policy of not assisting individuals or police if one is stolen... Unless an Apple employee leaves it in a bar.

As nice as iPods can be the final, bottom line, analysis leaves me feeling that the hardware and OS are gimped and broken by big brother Apple's control and interference with what would be my property being used in my life.

Why should I support a company who's corporate and international ethics are seemingly so different then my own.

Lastly, Siri seems kind of neat, prior to Apple buying it from a developer and enhancing it it could and did work across the iOS spectrum of devices. It still could. Why would I pay my hard earned cash money to apple, who self censors even it's own (few) decent apps from most people in a cold, cynical, bid to increase sales, rather then make it available, even at a $0.99 price to everyone there by increasing the value of all i-devices.

I really like Ipads, but cannot justify one. I struggle to figure out what someone really uses one for. Its to big to use as an e-reader... try holding it in your hands for extended amount of time and your wrist starts to ache. If you prop it up and use keyboard and mouse, then why didnt you just buy a laptop??

I could see it replacing the clipboard at a work place for production supervisors and the like. I could see it as an expensive picture frame, to cycle through family photos, that you can lift off the wall and look things up quickly... But to much $$$ for that function.

I bought a blackberry playbook and while I absolutely hate blackberry phones, i really like the tablet with new OS update. $199 new, 7" screen so ideal as an e-reader. I bought it only to use as an e-reader but have found neat uses for camera, hdmi out, surfing the web and email. To me the 7" tablets make sense under $200. Over that price point you should probably get a laptop.

You have a computer and can't develop on a tablet, but you may replace your computer with a tablet? Does not compute.

You're comparing a media device, to one that's designed to integrate to your home network. I have an iPod (Which is functionally identical to an iPad), an android phone, and an ICS tablet. None of them has the built in functions that would allow it to easily access your network.

One that i took for granted on windows was the inherent ability of even the most basic application to access your data on another computer and the other network capabilities like network drives and shared printers.

The asus transformer can do word processing via keyboard, but in order to do that, you'll have to open up a separate app (ex: ES Strong), add your desktops IP address/username/password to the list so you can access it, copy the files and paste them to a local folder. Only then would you be able to open them on your android wordprocessing app.

Once you're done editing on your transformer, you save the file, open ES Strong, copy the file back to your desktops shared folder, open it on your desktop (ex: MS Word) and print it from there.

On a Windows 7 tablet, you can do everything. Even notepad can access ftp and open files remotely as well as be able to print. Hopefully you can still do everything when they release Windows 8 ARM.

A pretty big chunk of those that say they won't buy one are the first one's in line :)

I just can't fit a tablet in my life, though my couch would like a tablet because I never sit on it. If I could RDP my desktop with a tablet I could spend more time with my couch. Sympathizing with furniture, now that's crazy.

You can.

I don't know. I see very little difference between iPad and a Netbook with a touchscreen. In fact, besides the little weight difference, I still prefer the netbook. And I mean a netbook with a SSD and a dual core CPU and of course the cheaper price.

These days I barely even find myself using my laptop anymore.

Between my PC, and my smartphone, there just isn't that big of a gap that needs to be filled anymore.

The times when I do need my laptop, it's usually to perform tasks that I usually perform on my desktop but can't since i'm away (like gaming), stuff a tablet can't do anyway. If I'm just web browsing, the phone is fine, and you can't exactly carry around a tablet in your pocket anyway.

Price should follow the same layout as the last 2 releases.

16GB - 499
32GB - 599
64GB - 699

These are just the base iPad 2's with wifi. The ones with data cost a bit more.

iPad 3 should follow the same pricing scheme.

I am probably going to get one. I currently have an iPad 2 and use it daily for web and email.
I am actually typing this post on it in the kitchen.

Way to expensive for me.

I'm gonna give Ben Heck a raspberry pi, sony ps1 lcd and a paperclip and see what he can do with that, pretty sure the results will be comparable.

You're comparing a media device, to one that's designed to integrate to your home network. I have an iPod (Which is functionally identical to an iPad), an android phone, and an ICS tablet. None of them has the built in functions that would allow it to easily access your network.

Sure, but it's not impossible with an iPad, and presumably anything else that can run something like Citrix. I'd prefer a Windows tablet for use with a Windows domain, but then again I'd never dump a PC for a tablet unless I had to.

I only own a PC. Just have no use for either a laptop or an ipad. Hell I barely use my cellphone. I'm not one of those dudes who walks around where ever he goes head down fiddling with his cellphone. I think it actually looks pretty stupid. Guess I'm just out of touch.

Something to check yourtwitter and facebook accounst 24/7, and so Big Brother can keep track of you.

Because the bigger screen isn't worth the $300 extra over a kindle fire for the cheapest version. Yea it might do more stuff then a Kindle fire but its not stuff I would use or care about either way.

Price should follow the same layout as the last 2 releases.

16GB - 499
32GB - 599
64GB - 699

These are just the base iPad 2's with wifi. The ones with data cost a bit more.

iPad 3 should follow the same pricing scheme.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple bump the amount of memory each one has.

An iPad can't fit in my pocket.

When I am on the go I use my phone for my browsing/email needs as I don't like lugging extra bags/cases/devices with me.

When I am not on the go, I use my laptop, as it is infinitely more capable.

How could Apple convince me to get an iPad? Well they probably couldn't, but what would make it more likely is if the tablet ran a full fledged desktop operating system, had one or more USB ports for connecting devices and allowed me to freely install any software that runs on a full fledged desktop OS.

If they did this, I could install my camera software on it, and process RAW images on the go.

As long as it is tied to a mobile platform that requires me to go through an "app store" I will not be buying one.

http://techmash.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ipad_pants.jpg

Seriously though, that's a weak argument. It's like complaining laptops don't fit in your pocket either. Well it's not a pocket device and it's not meant to fit in pockets. It's a tablet. You put it in your purse or boy purse or backpack or something like that.

It's not an argument in and of itself. I think you missed the point.

It's a combination of the two.

I would use an ipad (or any other tablet) on the go because they are too big. (I wouldn't use my laptop like that either)

So that means that hte primary use area for an iPad would be at home or at work.

Well, when I'm at work I have my laptop, which is infinitely more capable, so the iPad doesn't add anything here.

When I am at home I have either my laptop or my desktop so the iPad doesn't add anything here either.

Here's what they could do to make tablets more interesting.

Take the hardware and software in the MacBook Air and convert it to a tablet form factor. Forget about the app store, and allow me to freely install software from any vendor of my choosing fully compatible with desktop OSX. USB ports would be a must.

If the above happened, I may actually consider it. I'd still probably consider it too expensive (IMHO a device like the above with 4G connectivity should go for ~$400) and I'd probably balk at the thought of having to use OSX (make it Linux or Windows and I'd be more interested).

This is an area where Windows 8 might actually be useful. I have high hopes for x86 Windows8 tablets able to run desktop software and with USB expansion. There's a device I might consider buying to replace my laptop.

Sure, but it's not impossible with an iPad, and presumably anything else that can run something like Citrix. I'd prefer a Windows tablet for use with a Windows domain, but then again I'd never dump a PC for a tablet unless I had to.

Sure, but you may consider it if it was one of these. Imagine the Windows 8 interface on this.

asus-padfone-9.jpg

And this one turns a tablet into a nettop

Samsung-Series-7-Slate-Dock-XE700T1A.jpg

Same argument i had for the netbook before. How much CPU do you really need for a productivity PC or a PC you can use in the office? Answer is, not much. I'm actually 3D rendering on my netbook (dual core of course) which pretty much shows it can more than handle any office application.

The only thing critical is how easily you can integrate it into your workplace. As in my earlier example, capability to run productivity apps mean bupkis if you need to go through hoops to get it to do anything productive. It's not impossible to get your files into an iOS/Android device, but doing so isn't as straightforward as pressing CTRL-O on your keyboard.

The OS is the limiting factor on these things, not the hardware. It's why i'm looking forward to Windows 8. The network suit (network printer, network drives, samba, ftp) is the one thing i'm anticipating.

Back