Netflix In Talks For Cable Partnership?

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know what the best thing about a Netflix for cable deal would be? With all the bandwidth you would be saving, you'd be able to double up on your por...other downloads. ;)

In what would ratchet up its competition with HBO, the talks could lead to Netflix becoming available as another on-demand option for cable subscribers through their set-top boxes, according to three people familiar with the talks. If a partnership came to fruition, a cable operator might offer Netflix as an additional option added onto a subscriber's cable bill, according to a fourth person.

I still have a hard time fathoming a cable company wanting to carry them, or how well it would work. but, it could be interesting

Also add the fact that cable is about 5 years behind in box technology... at least comcast is...

I have Dish which has blockbuster integration. Dish has a WAAAAAY better guide and their box software is years ahead of comcast...

Blockbuster streaming is crap on the disk box... slow, bad UI, hard to find stuff etc.

Netflix streaming/UI is waaaaay ahead of what anybody else is offering on normal cable/sat.

This seems really appropriate! Since they can't get the cable channels to come to their format, Netflix will be going to THEIR format. They tried to play nice. Really, they did. But they got shut out for no good reason. Now, they're coming back to have another say in the matter!

Keep the troglodytes in cable tv far away from Netflix please.

I agree. As someone who does not have cable and has no intention of getting cable any time soon, I really don't like the idea of Netflix getting in bed with the cable industry. As soon as they do that, then Comcast can say new bandwidth caps are lower, say 50 GB a month, but your Netflix streaming suddenly doesn't count anymore because it is prioritized into this bundle. Net neutrality goes out the window the moment this happens.

Okay, so lets assume someone subscribes to NetFlix and streams content. They're currently paying for a Netflix subscription and for some means of viewing streamed content. With this new magic, you get to pay for NetFlix, still pay an ISP for a broadband connect, and pay a surcharge to your cable provider to view Netflix content. This is good news right?

Steve: "you'd be able to double up on your por..."

Sir, you have waaaay too much time availible if you even think that's feasable :p

Wait....what?

So in order to get unlimited Netflix streaming I'd have to purchase a cable package? Why the hell would I do that? I have Netflix to avoid cable TV.

Back