Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you alternative OS types out there should grab the Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1. Trust me, it is always handy to have a bootable Ubuntu thumb drive or CD laying around in case of emergency.

The Ubuntu developers are moving quickly to bring you the absolute latest and greatest software the Open Source community has to offer. The Precise Pangolin Beta 1 release of Ubuntu 12.04 gives a preview of the next LTS version of Ubuntu.

This is a nice build. Still a tiny bit crash prone but much better than the alpha. Overall I like it. It looks promising. Can't wait for the final next month.

Looks nice. I like the desktop launcher more than Linux Mint 12's. I will have to give Ubuntu a try once this goes final.

still unity?

if so I am still in boycott

I swear I went on the website just to see if they had Unity. :mad: Welp, I haven't gotten on the Linux Mint train but I might be on it for this release.

*looking at my 10.04 disk and getting ready to put it next to Drake and Heron* :(

I'm in the same boat WRT Unity. I'll have to give Mint a try.

I used to follow Ubuntu releases with the sort of enthusiasm that people follow new iPhone releases.

Then I installed Archlinux. End of story.

Unity is actually quite a bit more polished in this build. Still there will be many that do not like it. I hate to see Ubuntu 10.10 go. I prefer Unity to the new Windows 8 start screen though.

I used to follow Ubuntu releases with the sort of enthusiasm that people follow new iPhone releases.

Totally different audience. Ubuntu is aimed at people who don't know how to use Linux (the command line). Archlinux is pretty much a minimum build of just enough to get the computer running. No GUI hand holding.

I'm actually thinking of finally taking that leap as well. Time to get a little bit more indepth - ubuntu was nice, but still not quite power-user friendly enough.

For all you guys thinking about switching to arch, really just do it! I have it running on a few computers, but my 5 year old laptop with arch is damn near just as responsive as my gaming desktop with windows and and i7-2500K. It's great that you can customize it for your needs with no extra fluff! And the wiki is sooo good you'll be hard pressed to not find something.

Back