Kinect Grocery Cart

Pretty cool! I almost spit up my Five Guys burger when the cart made the gluten free comment.

Rather than automating the cart, I think it would be better to automate the shelves - or even the entire store.

If you put your shopping list in at home (as is done in the video with the cart) instead of having to then wander around the store putting the stuff in your cart, all of the items could be packaged and ready for pickup or delivery.

That amount of expensive technology would never make it into a shopping cart. I believe they would lose way too much money from the homeless people taking the carts for their use. At least around here the homeless people take the carts. There are business that drive around the city looking for carts and they sell them back to the store.

That amount of expensive technology would never make it into a shopping cart. I believe they would lose way too much money from the homeless people taking the carts for their use. At least around here the homeless people take the carts. There are business that drive around the city looking for carts and they sell them back to the store.

Weird. Around here, there are several stores that won't let you remove the carts from the store building. They have concrete pylons outside the door that the carts won't fit through. You can take the cart up to the door, but you have to carry your bags from the door to the car. Instead of paying someone to round up the carts, they usually pay a friendly bellhop-type person with a flatbed cart who helps people carry bags to their car if they look like they need help.

That cart may work for the first few items but my cart is usually full by the time I'm halfway through shopping and I would not be able to scan anything after the scanner got covered up.

This could make for some funny situations. Man places a package of condoms in his cart. "Condoms XL, Note you have indicated you require Small Condoms."

This could make for some funny situations. Man places a package of condoms in his cart. "Condoms XL, Note you have indicated you require Small Condoms."

Haha exactly what I was thinking. "Personal lube scanned."

Being someone with multiple food allergies, this could be an interesting concept for us. While I look at the back of ingredients all the time when purchasing food or drinks, it would be nice for the "bot" to verify the item as well.

Though I have to agree that this thing definitely takes the convenience factor out of shopping.

I just don't see that cart being functional. It clearly didn't follow him well. Half the carts I get at the store can barely roll in a straight line or have wheels that move correctly without constantly re-adjusting it.

Assuming they would let you actually walk out of the store without someone monitoring you or double checking all of your cart to make sure you're not walking out with a "little extra".....

Seems like a total waste of money really. A phone with a wifi app could accomplish much of the same functionality, and the only thing they'd have to provide is the app and the in store wifi/verification system. And they still wouldn't let you out of the store without doubt checking you.

the Stop & shop that i use has a hand held scanner that you use to scan the items, bag them then every register has a barcode that you scan the barcode then scan your stop and shop card, it then rings up your items, and you check out normally, (i tend to use the self checkout) once a month or two, i get audited to make sure that i am ringing up all my items before leaving(and yes there has been a time or two in the past year where something did not scan, i placed it in the cart- not bagged- but forgot to ring it up at the register and walked out with(so technically shoplifting) the item in my cart).

VERY handy imo for this implementation, kinect to the skinny end of the cart -modified so that it is perm attached, an APP for your phone to do the shopping list/do the speaking. have every kinect cart have a Q code , you walk into the store, turn on the app, scan a scanner's q code, scan the cart's q code then go around and scan/bag your groceries. the one thing i do not think that is easily doable in a busy grocery store is the self propelled part.

Back