XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition posted today at Neoseeker for those of you on the hunt for a new Radeon based video card. Here's a quote from the full review:

XFX flexes its Xpertise to deliver the Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition, which comes with increased core and memory frequencies to help improve both the graphics and compute power in comparison to standard HD 7970 models. Naturally this is going to make it cost quite a few Xtra dollars, so hit our review of XFX's overclocked HD7970 entry to see if the price premium gets you both quality and performance.

Their test is awkward....

Look at the benchmark for Crysis 2, a BE edition blows a stock 7970 away...WTF?

Reading the review instead of just looking at the graphs might help. The Crysis 2 score of the reference AMD card is with the release drivers. The XFX card is using the latest drivers.

The massive performance increase between the reference model and the R7970 in Crysis 2 is obviously not just the work of the overclocked frequencies alone. When we first tested this game, AMD was having a hard time optimizing the drivers so the performance was lower than where it should have been. WIth the latest Catalyst 12.2 drivers, the performance increased by around 25%, and even if 7% to 10% of that was due to the clocks, it still means the remaining 15% to 18% was thanks to the improved drivers.

And this is just the start of driver optimizations for Tahiti.

Omfg I really stopped reading any 7970 reviews since owning the card. But I didnt realize the drivers were improving so greatly.
I cant wait to compare the 1st [H] Review of the 7970 with the last review they do on it.
launch drivers vs mature drivers.

yeah lol that made me rush to download the drivers right as i writing this. I was waiting the WHQL version cause i cba to updade the drivers in 10 days again. Weird that these improvements are not advertised by AMD on their "features" for the new 12.12 for 7900 series.

It is true that when I re-played Crysis 2 on the first days I got the card I sometimes had some weird, uneven, flow of movement so I guess a fix in the drivers for this game was expected.

Back