Sony Patents Kinect-Like Device

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of the patent people as to why certain patents were awarded.

This is totally different than how the kinect works, well on paper anyway.

The USPTO probably didn't know what a Kinect was in 2003.

"This application claims priority as a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 10/448,614, filed May 29, 2003"

Still, the patent system is fundamentally flawed, we all know that. Perhaps one way to address it: apply Scattergories rules. For one year the patent details are hidden and protected, and if someone else files for a matching (or close enough in purpose and mechanism) patent, they're cancelled out and no one gets it. Would this sufficiently kill patent trolls?

I had a web came in the late 90s that came with some funky game software that could track body movements and bounce around some balls on a screen.

Also motion cap systems have existed for years that could take a moving figure and assign depth to it like a Kinect does.

Just because MS put one on a shelf and lets you kick a ball with it, doesn't mean the Kinect is some whiz bang new thing that no one ever thought of before.

I had a web came in the late 90s that came with some funky game software that could track body movements and bounce around some balls on a screen.

Also motion cap systems have existed for years that could take a moving figure and assign depth to it like a Kinect does.

Just because MS put one on a shelf and lets you kick a ball with it, doesn't mean the Kinect is some whiz bang new thing that no one ever thought of before.

honestly, the kinect is "more" than that thing in the 90's you know ;)

for others, I suggest for some to read the patent thoroughly, honestly, alot of the the info and description there are awfully similar to how the kinect works, " depth camera can utilize controlled infrared lighting to obtain distance information", "a stereo camera pair, which triangulates distance information using two standard cameras". the tech is just too similar, including the way sony's device calculates stuff :p

Sony's had playstation eye since 2001 or something though. Kinect isnt really that "revolutionary"

Back