Microsoft Extends Support For Windows 7, Vista

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those of you running Windows Vista and Windows 7 can rest a bit easier today. Microsoft has extended support for your OS through 2020 for Windows 7 and 2017 for Vista. Windows XP has another two years before it gets pushed off a cliff.

Changed the lifecycle policy for extended support, Microsoft provides a consistent customer use Windows client operating system (OS) services. Will be applied the extended support for Windows 7, Windows Vista consumer products. Available service packs for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 product currently supported this change’s customers are subject to up to 10 years of security update provides will regardless of the Edition. Support end date for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 are as follows:
  • Windows XP 4/8/2014
  • Windows Vista 4/11/2017
  • Windows 7 1/14/2020

one thing to note is that these date extensions are only for businesses. Personal computers / consumer licenses only last up to the mainstream support dates, which has not been changed.

4/8/2014 can't come soon enough!
I agree!
People, companies and software developers needs to move on!
software developers, update or GTFO!
that might be a bit harsh, but I downgrade more PC from windows 7 to XP then is needed. All because the software the customer is using will not support anything but Windows XP. But I know it's not just the developers to blame, Microsoft is also at fault. They let the OS hang around way to long.

I'm worried about Windows 8 because a lot of focus is going into "touch" and gestures, etc. I can't stand little small ass 23" lcd's that I have to lean into and huddle in front of. I like sitting back and getting my face baked in the warm glow of my 42".

I guess this extension helps those concerns a bit but of course I want to move to Windows 8.

I'm thinking that a lot of large format display users such as myself will end up adding and using an additional smaller screen to navigate / augment their large display. Something they could have near their mouse pad that they could quickly touch / pinch or gesture with. Who knows.

Rest assured, 32" and 42" touch screens will be very expensive.

I do know it makes me fatigued already thinking of all those millions of Windows 8 users, overnight going from mouse / keyboard to .... arms extended and touching all over the screen. Wonder how that will really play out. I've played with those new all in one touch screen 24" systems at Best Buy and it all seemed gimmicky to me.

So with Windows 8, and probably future editions, focusing on touch screens and portable devices, can we be seeing the death of the traditional desktop PC by 2020? :(

Who would have thought that in the year of William Gibson's Cyberpunk, we'll still see copies of Windows 7 floating around. :rolleyes:

So with Windows 8, and probably future editions, focusing on touch screens and portable devices, can we be seeing the death of the traditional desktop PC by 2020? :(

Who would have thought that in the year of William Gibson's Cyberpunk, we'll still see copies of Windows 7 floating around. :rolleyes:
Vehicles like trains, cars, and planes or ships are greatly older than computers, why do you think computers are going to stop being computers?

Already we are hearing about teens now using their phones to check email over their own / family PC's. This is data / statistics that all the major players are paying very close attention to. There was a news article about this a few weeks back. That number is only going to increase. What we will see changing moving forward is how we access data. That's where my concern comes in. I'm not ready, I don't think for any dramatic change overnight. I think we can all agree, things are changing and changing fast. Windows 7 could very well be the last traditional OS in regards to mouse and keyboard interface. Of course Windows 8 will have this functionality but it will be secondary. If you can envision a Windows 8 commercials of the future when the OS launches, you know that the big draw will be them showing a family using a PC with their fingers and swipes and gestures. I can only imagine that when 2020 does arrive, Windows 7 will be extremely ancient. Even more so than how Windows XP must have seemed when it finally went EOL not long ago.

4/8/2014 can't come soon enough!

Slow down, I need xp to program 2 way radios, on a very slow laptop,pentiumII 400 because the 2ways cant handle fast computers and also I need the old comport which the newer laps don't have. Latest software doesn't work with win7, so don't be making a judgement call on only your needs.:)

While it may not work for the radios, it should work for software ---

have you tried virtualization?

Slow down, I need xp to program 2 way radios, on a very slow laptop,pentiumII 400 because the 2ways cant handle fast computers and also I need the old comport which the newer laps don't have. Latest software doesn't work with win7, so don't be making a judgement call on only your needs.:)

Yes, let's stall progress to keep some antiquated need on life support.

While it may not work for the radios, it should work for software ---

have you tried virtualization?

On an old laptop.:D It chugs along as it is.:D
"Yes, let's stall progress to keep some antiquated need on life support." Cell phones work great where the towers are, once your off the beaten track your life support is the 2way. Until cell phones get blanket coverage I don;t see any other way when your out in the bush, camping, fishing, hunting.:D

I agree!
People, companies and software developers needs to move on!
software developers, update or GTFO!
that might be a bit harsh, but I downgrade more PC from windows 7 to XP then is needed. All because the software the customer is using will not support anything but Windows XP. But I know it's not just the developers to blame, Microsoft is also at fault. They let the OS hang around way to long.

But Microsoft refuses to update the Windows Entertainment Pack from Win3.1 to 32bit. And Win7 won't run those oldies. :mad:

What does this even mean really. What support do we really need from them since it is up to us if we should jump ship and upgrade to the newer OS.

Man there are some angry people in this thread...not sure if teenagers, or bad tempered adults...

Back to league of legends...on my W7/XP dual boot...

XP has had a good life. I hope they put out one last service pack before it goes wrapping up all the updates. There is still like 70+ updates after SP3!!

Some of us won't let old OS'es die. I still run Win98SE for old games alone! :cool::cool:

What a resource hog! ;)

runninoldschool.png

Hey, what with hardware going backwards as well as applications and console stagnation, and to add to that windows 8, I can see myself still on windows 7 in 2020.

XP has had a good life. I hope they put out one last service pack before it goes wrapping up all the updates. There is still like 70+ updates after SP3!!

Some of us won't let old OS'es die. I still run Win98SE for old games alone! :cool::cool:

What a resource hog! ;)

runninoldschool.png

70+? Try more like over a 100.

Man, XP just will not die.

I shouldn't be shocked, still use it at work. They are just now "testing" Win 7 deployments. Oh and that only breaks half the apps we use. IE6 forever!

If MS wasn't ending support, our business would not be switching. That's the only reason MS was pushing the XP date back, because it is taking businesses so long to upgrade. It is not so easy at manufacturing sites that are still running on equipment 20+ years old.

And anyone that says, 'just upgrade the equipment', has no clue what that entails or the millions it will cost. It's not like the engineers don't want to upgrade the equipment, but with corporation management, it's always, "what is the minimum we can spend to keep things running to make maximum profit". I'm surprised that the business world lets MS get away with it.

Back