Court Orders ISP To Block Grooveshark

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone else see a trend here lately with all these court orders instructing ISPs to block copyright infringing sites? TPB, Megaupload, Grooveshark all blocked or taken down in the last month. So...why did they needed SOPA, PIPA and ACTA again? :confused:

A group of more than 30 rightsholders have won their case targeted against Grooveshark in Denmark. A court agreed that both the streaming music service and its users infringe recording label copyrights and granted an injunction forcing an ISP to initiate a block of the service. The anti-piracy group behind the action hopes that other ISPs will now follow suit.

This was in Denmark. These sites still work here in the US. But then again, Cox Communications does a lot for its customer and tell these people to go to hell.

Man, we don't need to be liberated from an imaginary enemy that the media, owned by the Corporations bombards us with. We need to fight and be liberated from the real enemy, the Corporations.

This does not bode well for Grooveshark. It's kind of odd... because it's not like you can just download the song from the service...

It's sad, because I use the service on a daily basis to listen to / find new music.

So...why did they needed SOPA, PIPA and ACTA again?

because fuck you and the rest of the people who enjoy their personal rights and the constitution and the internet, thats why...

Man, we don't need to be liberated from an imaginary enemy that the media, owned by the Corporations bombards us with. We need to fight and be liberated from the real enemy, the Corporations.

a Lot of the media is owned by Rupert Murdock.

So how exactly as a user am I infringing on copyright? I stream music...it works the same way the radio in my car does. Are they gonna tell me next I am pirating music by listening to the radio?

Morons..

It's more like how recording a mixtape off the radio is illegal. Yes, we're still living in the 80s.

So how exactly as a user am I infringing on copyright? I stream music...it works the same way the radio in my car does. Are they gonna tell me next I am pirating music by listening to the radio?

Morons..

Songs played on radio stations are subsidized by the advertisements you listen to.

Grooveshark has been "sloppy" to say the least when it comes to getting any kind of revenue to deserving artists. Screw that company, use a responsible company like Spotify if you want streaming music, or any one of the many that let you buy each song/subscribe to a service.

Got to say though, it's much nicer to have to go to court to request this blockings rather than giving carte blanch freedom to allow a simple request to trigger a takedown.

Got to say though, it's much nicer to have to go to court to request this blockings rather than giving carte blanch freedom to allow a simple request to trigger a takedown.

Agreed. Those bills wanted to take down those sites anyways... they were just too stupid to realize that the whole net would go down with it.

The whole US government needs to be shot, and we need to start fresh. Same with all the corporate people involved in all the lobbying and bribery. This is just getting more and more retarded.

Songs played on radio stations are subsidized by the advertisements you listen to.

Grooveshark has been "sloppy" to say the least when it comes to getting any kind of revenue to deserving artists. Screw that company, use a responsible company like Spotify if you want streaming music, or any one of the many that let you buy each song/subscribe to a service.

Sources please :rolleyes:

Corporations aren't necessarily evil in and of themselves, it's what people do with them that's the problem. Remember that the computer you're typing on was manufactured by a corporation, or if it's self-built, the parts were. The real enemy is human greed, and the disregard for the rights of others that it spawns. Combine that with the monetary power of a corporation, and yes, it's a bad mix.

The whole US government needs to be shot, and we need to start fresh. Same with all the corporate people involved in all the lobbying and bribery. This is just getting more and more retarded.

Actually it was a Danish court in the article. You might want to be careful with those kinds of statements as well. I entirely support your right to voice that sentiment of frustration, but some in the government might take that statement as a terrorist threat. I'm not joking, it's really gotten that bad. :(

Morons..

By using a digital radio,a copy of part of the song is made! These dirty facists should burn in hell for their evil misdeeds. Grooveshark is even worse, since multiple copies of the song are made on its way from grooveshark to your computer!

Hell anyone accessing their website is infringing on copyrights! How dare these caches, proxies and more caches make not one, but multiple copies of copyrighted content!

Morons..

Umm, no it doesn't work the same way as the radio in your car.

When you listen to songs on the radio the station logs what songs they play and pay fees to ASCAP, BMI or whomever administers the rights for the copyright holder. They fees are then distributed to the artists. This system was put into place in the 1920's.

Apparently it sounds like Grooveshark is just throwing music out on the net without sending any fees to the copyright holder.

Morons..

Ignorance must be bliss.

Red Squirrel meet Echelon. Echelon, Red Squirrel.

Although I do understand the frustration. As someone else said, it's very possible for them to use that as a "terrorist threat". Thus is the government we live with.

I can't believe there are still defending the worldwide copyright witch hunt.

This copyright madness is setting up a system in which governments have an off switch for websites, essentially putting everyone behind a North Korean-style firewall.

"But artists will have to find real jobs!", people like to say. You know, I want creative people to be successful, but they need to find a way to make money from their craft without trampling the rights of everyone else on earth.

Back