Australian Sues Twitter Over Hate Blog

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this was a case in the U.S. I would say "good luck with that" but, since this happened in Australia, this could actually get interesting.

"Twitter are a publisher, and at law anyone involved in the publication can be sued," Gibson told the newspaper. "We're suing for the re-tweets and the original tweet -- and many of the re-tweets and comments are far worse." Twitter itself, not individual users, were being sued for damages, he said.

It's effing Twitter, who give a flying 'f', as posted by a twatter who used twitter once to yell at Nascar broadcasters..

*sigh*

Well if governments don't understand the concept the internet is not under their jurisdiction, why should lawyers & sue happy fucktards?

Well the guy was slandered and the some folks who saw the original message is still harassing him. And that original post could be copied and reposted etc... genie out the bottle cant be put back in. Just case you read it online doesnt make it true... good luck to the lawyers thou =)

going after twitter thou should be interesting. can they be held liable as well? well yeah they are acting as a publisher... slander, defamation of character, harassment... twitter is facilitating it.

Another question is there a term of service which says your responsible blah blah blah and if that would hold in Australia.

Why doesn't he sue the people who wrongly named him? That's like suing the telephone company because someone made a call over their lines defaming you.

He might as well sue English dictionary publishers because the slander was made in English. Or maybe he should sue every school district in his country that teaches English.

Might as well sue the guy's ISP while he's at it, cause CLEARLY they allowed him to be able to post such remarks online

Oh wait, telecoms are -PROTECTED- by law that whatever their users do on them they are not held accountable for, so who else can we go after with deep pockets?

Yup.....

Freedom of speech? :confused: Possibly not in Australia, but it seems like modern countries in general have an equivalent...

Of course, because Twitter has deeper pockets then the individuals.

Reminds me of how you assign blame in a 3+ vehicle collision. The bill always gets pushed to whichever car has a company logo on it.

How the hell is twitter responsible for the publication and re-publication of content? What a nanny state.

I wish the lawyer and the twit a lot of luck getting money out of twitter - NOT. That poor twit is just going to have to get a new twitter account.

Would be awesome if the lawyer gets disbarred and the idiot gets into debt. And not just him, but every idiot like this.

Freedom of speech? :confused: Possibly not in Australia, but it seems like modern countries in general have an equivalent...

It's not really a freedom of speech issue anyway. Most countries have laws that allow civil remedies for defamation. It's not the initial defamation that's silly. Being falsely accused of something can be a big deal to someones reputation and people should have some protection.

The big issue here is the fact that Twitter, in Australia, has no protection against being included in a lawsuit like they would in the US. So they'll either have to change the law, or Twitter will have to set up some means of censoring tweets in Australia, or pull out entirely.

If my ex writes down my personal information, copies it at Staples, and posts it all over town, does this mean I can sue Staples for allowing her to copy it? and every place she posted it for not taking it down?

Back