Matrix-Style Vertical Chicken Farms

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn it, I was going to try to make a joke about one of these chickens waking up in the Matrix but I couldn't figure out how to work PETA into the joke. Heh, you know those guys are going to crap when they see this.

After this “desensitization,” the chickens could then be stacked into huge urban farms with around 1,000 chickens hooked up to large vertical frames — a little like the network of pods the humans are connected to in The Matrix. The feet of the chickens would also be removed in order to pack more in. There could be dozens of these frames in the vertical farming system, which Ford refers to as the Centre for Unconscious Farming.

I'm guessing this is something of "A Modest Proposal"-style suggestion, ironically done to highlight current barbarity.

Otherwise...ooooooh, that's not cool man, that's not cool....

It's designed by an Architecture student, and is just some arts useless display stuff to shock people.

It's designed by an Architecture student, and is just some arts useless display stuff to shock people.

As an architecture student, I partly agree.

This is a design project meant to "interrogate" an existing system and raise questions rather than give answers.

So the chickens will get to beta test the system before the machines use it on us? I think we humans should be behind this all the way, get the bugs worked out before we are put in there.

I'm guessing this is something of "A Modest Proposal"-style suggestion, ironically done to highlight current barbarity.

Otherwise...ooooooh, that's not cool man, that's not cool....

I'm not sure that's what was meant. If anything, it seems the dude is looking to make the practice more humane:

Architecture student André Ford has proposed a new system for the mass production of chickens that removes the birds’ cerebral cortex so that they don’t experience the horrors of being packed together tightly in vertical farms.

Goes on to say

But Ford goes a step further and proposes a “Headless Chicken Solution.” This would involve removing the cerebral cortex of the chicken to inhibit its sensory perceptions so that it could be produced in more densely packed conditions without the associated distress. The brain stem for the chicken would be kept intact so that the homeostatic functions continue to operate, allowing it to grow.

Which, if you're the PETA type, would certainly appeal to the notion that we should make it less "barbaric," ironically by making it even more barbaric in order to tone down the subsequent barbarity.

Still, though, being cruel to creatures that will ultimately wind up in your belly as food isn't something that us humans invented. I'm pretty certain we're the only species that seem to think it's a problem, which I suppose is in and of itself a problem.

Double irony win!

just wait until the aliens come, take over out planet, remove our brains so that we can be grown for food, mmm human bbq

Am I the only one who thinks that if this were true, it might actually be more humane than our current system? Not to mention more efficient. Probably cleaner too.

Realistically, research should be pushing towards growing organs (to include masses of muscle tissue) rather than new ways to slaughter the real thing. Genetic / Stem cell research is already doing this kind of thing, they just need to figure out ways to do it quickly + cheaply.

Mass consumers want processed "meat", so give them "meat". Those who want the real thing can pay a premium.

These grown masses could be sampled from any number of variety of animals, making it just a few steps shy of the food server thing from Star Trek: Next Generation, that would make any meal/drink you wanted instantly. Might seem like a stretch, but it really isn't.

At least with my crazy eyes.

Am I the only one who thinks that if this were true, it might actually be more humane than our current system? Not to mention more efficient. Probably cleaner too.

You're not the only one. Just like in the movie, "Ignorance is bliss".

I've got a feeling that if a video was shown how everything we eat is processed, people would eventually get used to it...or forever grow their own garden for food.

Ugh this is creepy. The fact that chickens now are raised in concentration camps isn't better.

I buy my eggs from free-range, no hormone and no antibiotic farms. They cost twice as much, and that's fine, I don't eat many. I like to think the chicken has a nice life, and that I'm not consuming all kinds of nonsense they fed the chicken. Gotta look into where my chicken meat comes from too. They don't label that as often.

Eating veggies and fruits is efficient. It'd be better if we ate less meat that was raised better.

Eating veggies and fruits is efficient. It'd be better if we ate less meat that was raised better.

Uh no, people who exclude meat/dairy from their diet have more health problems due to a lack of protein and a defficient immune system.

We design it, we beta test it on ourselves first. I volunteer the sons and daughters of all members of congress who will vote to approve of these methods and all their descendants as well. Round 'em up boys.

I think it's a prank, industrial chicken CAFOs are going for the cheapest stuff, not for expensive and labor intensive high tech.
Saying that current CAFO conditions are bad is no excuse for inventing something just as bad or even worse.
Chickens who don't eat bugs and worms and seeds are not really chickens anymore, just cheap $1/lb. proteins on a stick. Well, 2 sticks.

Uh no, people who exclude meat/dairy from their diet have more health problems due to a lack of protein and a defficient immune system.
Lack of protein? You clearly have no idea what a vegetarian or vegan diet is about.
As for the immune system, it's damaged animal proteins that trick the body into thinking the similar human proteins are bad and should be destroyed. Read The China Study and watch some of the medical TED Talks to learn more.

As the article states, those who don't like how the food is processed, don't have to purchase it.

Personally I'd rather have a normal chicken, not bioengineered shit.

As far as how it tastes howver, it's still very good.

Back