Why NASA's Really Into Making Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
NASA probably makes its own video games because if it let one of the big companies do it, you'd have moon missions that need day one patches and be required to buy an online pass to visit the space station. ;)

Most people think of NASA as an organization full of rocket scientists. But while the U.S. space agency has spent decades launching spaceships and working on other important projects, it also puts some of its resources into much smaller efforts, such as making video games.

You forgot that some of the games, not made by NASA, wouldn't be able to run on NASA's super computer because of the hardware requirements.... :)

It could be that they don't have enough money anymore to run certain missions. I mean everytime you hear about NASA it's something to do with their budget being cut. :D

Games are a good enough way to develop simulation stuff and market themselves at the same time.

All I want is a very very very very accurate/sophisticated/life like/etc NASA derived visualization of the universe/multi-verse(?) that I can watch in WinAmp while jamming out.
Damn...make this instead!

You forgot that some of the games, not made by NASA, wouldn't be able to run on NASA's super computer because of the hardware requirements.... :)
Probably most modern games, since it won't have a GPU and the games aren't threaded.

CAN IT RUN CRYSIS

For the last time. No computer ever, in any time frame, from any planet, has ever been able to run Crysis. The planet Earth was designed and built by the most powerful AI in existence to be a giant computer, the most powerful computer ever made, and when Crysis was first run on it, it crashed, and kept spitting out the number 42 over and over.

The space agency also hopes that the kids who play games like Sector 33 will get more excited about science, technology, engineering, or math, and that they may even one day come to work at NASA

and thats quite the task too with so many presidents making sure NASA is able to do as little as possible that would inspire people in anyway.

For the last time. No computer ever, in any time frame, from any planet, has ever been able to run Crysis. The planet Earth was designed and built by the most powerful AI in existence to be a giant computer, the most powerful computer ever made, and when Crysis was first run on it, it crashed, and kept spitting out the number 42 over and over.

It didn't crash, the damn Vogons blew it up. Bad poetry ya'll.

That free moonbase alpha game was ok kind of...just never really got anywhere, and is only really fun when being silly in multiplayer. The deathmatch is terrible! :D

When I first heard of that I said "Finally! A game based on one of the best TV shows ever!"
Boy was I disappointed.
500x_custom_1259305030342_space1999.jpg

Back