Respecting Users and Their Privacy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Respecting users and their privacy? Pfft, what a stupid idea. Who do these EFF guys think they are? ;)

Regardless of whether practices like checking addresses for friend-finding are “industry standard” in social apps, users expect and deserve respect from the providers of the services they use, and that means protecting personal data needed to use the service. Hiding behind the rationale that a certain functionality is commonplace among similar apps is not sufficient, the process must be proper whether it’s the uploading of data in the first place or its long-term storage.

While I love the EFF and am for protecting user's privacy on the web, I have my own way of protecting my own privacy I'd like to point out. I simply assume that anything I do online, in a forum, or some other website, is monitored, tracked, recorded for all of time, etc. So what this means to me is I give as much information as I am comfortable with, knowing that whatever I do is as public, as if I were to do or say it on a street corner. The things I want to keep private, I do in person. If I want to talk to a friend about something personal I go to them and talk to them face to face or call them (GSM is still safe right?). And when all else fails, I fall back to the US Constitution if anything I say or do is used against me. This is why you can see that I use my real full name as my user name, because anything I have to hide, isn't going to be found here.

But for everyone else, I respect your right to keep things you post protected and will fight for you when needed.

The problem with doing that is that you let them win in a way. You can't use any of the new convenient methods of communication because it means someone could be eavesdropping. What's the point of technological advances if you still have to live in the stone age if you want some privacy?

While I love the EFF and am for protecting user's privacy on the web, I have my own way of protecting my own privacy I'd like to point out. I simply assume that anything I do online, in a forum, or some other website, is monitored, tracked, recorded for all of time, etc. So what this means to me is I give as much information as I am comfortable with, knowing that whatever I do is as public, as if I were to do or say it on a street corner. The things I want to keep private, I do in person. If I want to talk to a friend about something personal I go to them and talk to them face to face or call them (GSM is still safe right?). And when all else fails, I fall back to the US Constitution if anything I say or do is used against me. This is why you can see that I use my real full name as my user name, because anything I have to hide, isn't going to be found here.

But for everyone else, I respect your right to keep things you post protected and will fight for you when needed.

Using your real name is still stupid because it is not just privacy breakers you might want to hide from. There are psychos loose on the internet and one day you might piss one off. Ever think of that aspect, genius?

Using your real name is still stupid because it is not just privacy breakers you might want to hide from. There are psychos loose on the internet and one day you might piss one off. Ever think of that aspect, genius?

I say let them at me. I'm down for a good fight. Good thing I learned how to efficiently kill a man at a young age. Ah Yobbles, you always have interesting things to say. How do we end up on the same threads?

And besides, if someone really wanted to kill me, I'm sure they would only need to spend a few more hours tracking me down. Look how fast anonymous can out a person regardless of country they're in.

social sites are free to use, no one is forcing you to use them, - don't like how they deal with your data..DONT PUT IT ON THE SITE or stop using it all together, the sooner people drop this bullshit "i am entitled to everything i want" attitude the better off we will all be!

Back