The New York Times Discovers People Use Multiple Monitors

HardOCP News

[H] News
The New York Times claims that people are starting to use more than one monitor on their computers. This hard hitting news story is not from 1999, in fact, this astonishing "multi-monitor" discovery was made just yesterday. :eek:

There is a growing new tactic for countering the data assault: the addition of a second computer screen. Or a third. This proliferation of displays is the latest workplace upgrade, and it is responsible for the new look at companies and home offices — they are starting to resemble mission control.

Maybe they will discover KVM switches and people using more than 1 computer!!!!!

What's the New York Times? Do we need help from the Rosetta Stone to decipher such an ancient text?

I use a Laptop + 23in monitor at work. I definitely couldn't live without my 2nd monitor. I also use 2 monitors at home. A 24in Dell and a 20inch Viewsonic. Maybe one day when I'm not broke I can upgrade to Eyefinity.. one day :(

What's the New York Times? Do we need help from the Rosetta Stone to decipher such an ancient text?

:D

I have a laptop and 19" at work. 22" - 24" - 22" arrangement at home.

I've had multiple screens since my college days.

I like my setup pretty well: 32-inch LCD HDTV to my left via HDMI and a 23-inch LCD monitor on my desk in my room. Great for watching movies while doing something on my PC at the same time.

Interestingly enough due to Win 7 and snap, my offices are moving away from the headaches of multi-monitor setups and moving to single large displays.

And I thought I was behind the times since I only started using multi-monitor setup on 2007. :eek:

Laptop monitor + 3 dell 24" at work. 1 at home.. Guess where i spend my time.

The New York Times was similarly shocked by a device called the abacus and reported at length on it two years ago.

This just in!!!

"Caveman journalist found employed deep down New York Times' basement!"

NT reporting, WWN.

Page 2
iranian_ninjab.jpg

NT finds 72 female virgins NINJA!

Well f#*k my hat, what will they think of next, wireless keyboards and mice?....HAHAHA just pulling your leg that'll never happen, next you will tell me they stopped using the space shuttle.

Interestingly enough due to Win 7 and snap, my offices are moving away from the headaches of multi-monitor setups and moving to single large displays.

What headaches? I can't think of the last time I saw any problem running a multi-monitor setup.

That's a movie, so having multiple monitors is obviously fiction.

At work I have two smaller monitors (20") and they are very useful. At home, I have a 30 and 24, and I find the second one not as useful. I think for home, my next monitor purchase will just be a single monster one.

Is it really so hard to hire some geek to proof read what these people write? Maybe I should apply for a position as a consultant...

I had a multi-monitor setup...

then I got a 2560x1600 and wondered why all these people are using 2 or 3 monitors.

DEAR GOD, YOU CAN USE MOAR THAN 1 MONITOR?!?!?!

Where the hell have I been?

/me crawls back under rock.

I don't think there's a desk in existence that would support 3 FW900s. :D Just kidding, I only need one, LCD suffices for secondary displays.

I get that - I run a 12" x201 laptop and an Acer X233H (23") LCD at work. I bought the LCD myself from Staples a couple of years back. I wish Aero Snap would work with the all sides of a multimonitor setup.

Slow news days for the NYT :/ Did they never see computers and projectors connected?

Wow, they are WAY BEHIND!! lol :D

I've been using dual monitor since 1995 with the old 21 inch CRT's that where around 60 to 80 LB's in weight :D

Damn, I'm getting old lol;)

article said:
And the engineers do care about the screens, he said, noting that someone might tell a friend about a new job by adding, “They’re giving me a 30 right off the bat,” which is shorthand for a 30-inch monitor.

Lol it's like they see it as new forms of street slang. Yo man, my man hook me up wit a 30.

I had a multi-monitor setup...

then I got a 2560x1600 and wondered why all these people are using 2 or 3 monitors.

I don't have a 30" monitor but I'd still keep a second monitor. Fullscreen gaming + IM/system monitors/web on a second monitor ftw.

[RIP]Zeus;1038360505 said:
Wow, they are WAY BEHIND!! lol :D

I've been using dual monitor since 1995 with the old 21 inch CRT's that where around 60 to 80 LB's in weight :D

Damn, I'm getting old lol;)

When I was in HS, I had a box with 2 matrox millenium 2 pci cards and some agp card also, to drive 3x17" crt's, and then at home I rocked a 22" NEC with a 21" Sony. Now I run 3 much higher res screens at home off a single video card!

I want to see borderless (not merely bezeless) monitors for a multi-display setup free of "prison bars". Will most likely have to wait for OLED monitors for this to happen, so hate to think of the cost of equipment. Now that would be truly drool worthy. :D

Though a multi projection system may not be all that much different in cost. :(

Back