Microsoft Wants Your Windows Phone Marketing Ideas

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is looking for a few good…..ideas. Specifically marketing ideas to kick the Windows phone sales campaign into high gear. My first idea would be to tell Microsoft they need to sweeten the pot a bit for the best suggestions. The best (free) ideas always can use a healthy dose of reward, maybe something on the order of a new Windows phone. ;)

"We’re looking for ad concepts, contest ideas, social media campaigns, and whatever other wacky but worthwhile ideas you can up with ..."

They are so going about this the wrong way.

RIM is faltering. RIM owns/owned the mobile enterprise market. Microsoft owns the desktop enterprise market. Hmmmm. Maybe Microsoft should concentrate on a seamless transition of data and functionality between desktop and mobile in the enterprise market.

No Facebook campaign is going to revive Windows Phone. No tweet is going to gain them market share. But if my CEO, hundreds of miles from the home office, can log in to our network, grab his presentation, and beam it to a nearby projector anywhere that he can get a 3G or 4G signal, that might sell a phone or two.

I have an Idea, make your phones use Android.

Um, no. If I want an Android phone I will buy one. Which is what I did. :D

RIM is faltering. RIM owns/owned the mobile enterprise market. Microsoft owns the desktop enterprise market. Hmmmm. Maybe Microsoft should concentrate on a seamless transition of data and functionality between desktop and mobile in the enterprise market.

No Facebook campaign is going to revive Windows Phone. No tweet is going to gain them market share. But if my CEO, hundreds of miles from the home office, can log in to our network, grab his presentation, and beam it to a nearby projector anywhere that he can get a 3G or 4G signal, that might sell a phone or two.

Well said. In addition to that, they don't have any decent phones on a variety of carries. Verizon has next to nothing. They need to get the phones out there before they can sell any.

well, it has integrated office support, and is integrated with the hotmail skydrive, and these are both features you don't download, they are included with the OS.

I think via apps you have dropbox functionality as well.

maybe I don't fully get what you are asking for.

well, it has integrated office support, and is integrated with the hotmail skydrive, and these are both features you don't download, they are included with the OS.

I think via apps you have dropbox functionality as well.

maybe I don't fully get what you are asking for.

Yeah, the Skydrive integration with Office is actually very nice overall, it would be nice to have local synching capabilities however and yes there's 3rd party DropBox apps but Skydrive is better on Windows Phone than DropBox since it's tied into the OS.

My idea. "A Fresh Start" to tie in with the launch of Windows 8. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 should be marketed side by side considering the deep connection and similarity of both. With the unification of the desktop, laptop, tablet and to a lesser degree for now the phone, Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to develop and market for all of these devices as single thing with deep interoperability. I think the game is going to change a lot by the fall as there should finally be a lot of Windows Phone 8 devices on carriers besides AT&T. Verizon and Sprint are going to want Windows 8 tablets and I'm sure they'll have have more a commitment to Windows Phones to get them.

I think what he really said is the he wants a Lumia running Android. I've lost count on how many times someone whined on not having Android on the 800's chassis. It can't be the other WP models because most of those already have an Android counterpart.

I have an Idea, make your phones use Android.

You pretty much beat me to this.

Windows Phone isn't faltering not because it isn't a good platform (although since it uses the Windows CE kernel and Operating System it is not a good platform)

Windows Phone is faltering because it is a platform nobody wants. There was no demand for yet another Operating System in the phone market. That mobile market was already split between entities like Symbian, B2G, LoMo, Maemo, Openmoko, QT Extended, Palmsource, PalmOS, WebOS, Brew, Baidu, and Nucleus. That's not even a complete list. That's just a list of operating systems on phones or mobile devices I've either bought or worked with. Since it's launch Windows Phone has never had greater than a few percentage points of the mobile market.

The lack of desire for a Mobile Microsoft platform was so great that Windows Phone 7 actually caused Microsoft to LOSE MARKET SHARE. That's actually pretty impressive to launch a new platform and lose market share. Part of this slide was helped by the problems of WP7. On launch WP7/WinCE lacked basic features such as Multitasking, Copy and Paste, and even CDMA support. Even it's best smart-phone type features were still years behind the development of features found in IOS/Mach_BSD and Android/Linux.

In addition WP7 simply doesn't scale in price or hardware. While that isn't such a concern when compared to Apple's IOS/Mach_BSD products, that's a huge concern when compared to Android/Linux. Android/Linux will happily scale from a top-tier tablet backed with an OpenGL 4.x graphics chip to a small throw-away phone with no features at all. Incidentally this is one of the primary reasons Android/Linux phones are chowing down on marketshare from other operating systems like Symbian.

Unfortunately for Microsoft the company is hell bent on trying to unify it's Phone User Interface, Tablet User Interface, and Desktop User Interface under one single experience (Metro). The result, as of the Windows 8 Development Release, is a user-interface that actually makes Gnome 2.x look good, and effectively locks Microsoft's UI into a digital stone-age. What makes it all the more infuriating is the press who gloss over the horrendous concept of what Microsoft thinks is a User-Interface in hopes they'll get sent a free tablet. Sometimes the tech press needs to just grow a pair of balls, tell the emperor he ain't got no clothes, and it's time to get back in touch with reality. The consumer response to Metro has a been a collective What the hell, you are not serious.

Unless Microsoft chooses to address the massive disconnects between it's market desires, what it's designers want, and what consumers want, Windows 8 is shaping up to be a complete and total disaster like Windows Phone 7. There is nothing Microsoft can do to make Windows Phone 7 marketable... except for one small thing.

Make Windows Phone 7 Android Compatible. Enabling Windows Phone 7 to run applications compiled for Android/Linux natively and leveraging that compatibility would give consumers a reason to look at WP7 products. However, I made that suggestion to a Microsoft rep.

Their response basically consisted of a That is an unacceptable compromise.

Well, first of all WP7 needs to add free app market support for all countries, and add support for selling apps for as much countries as possible.

What WP7 needs to do is to get back the UI concept of the Zune HD. That was really cool. Show it off to the public. Make the salesperson know about this and use this to attract customers. In fact, drill the heads of those carrier employees to get a WP7 concept. Also, put in a dynamic wallpaper that in in sync with the Metro theme.

Well for starters they need to train the mobile operators how to use WP7 because, the other day I went to a sprint store and the sales person just flat out told me that they have no idea on how to use the device. He told me that the software Microsoft supplies them to assist them with the device only works with W7, and they are still running on XP, so that is clearly a big issue. Microsoft clearly has their priorities wrong they need to take care of the aforementioned things first so then they can commence with the marketing stuff.

Take it off the desktop. One-size-fits-all will not work.

People keep saying this but I don't think it's as simple of an argument as that. When it comes to the Start Menu vs the Start Screen there are actually some advantages to the Start Screen even on desktops and laptops. Yes, it's full screen, which I actually like especially with the zoom, you can see a lot more of what's on a system then in a tiny vertically scrolling list. And in functions very much like the Stat Menu in that while it takes up a whole screen, you click on something and it collapses, just like the Start Menu. If you're using multi-monitors the Start Screen is just on one monitor.

Full screen Metro apps are perhaps a bigger issue but a lot of those apps will be apps, media players, interactive media apps, things that most people would run full screen anyway.

My wife and I really like our Windows 7 Phones. Bummer that most people aren't giving it a chance, but I now know exactly what Mac users have felt for years. Unreasonable and unjustified smugness at my decision to use a product that isn't embraced by "the man" or "popular culture"

Actually.. no, I don't have that, I just really like the phone and what it does. Great that others really enjoy their Android and Mac phone's. :)

My wife and I really like our Windows 7 Phones. Bummer that most people aren't giving it a chance, but I now know exactly what Mac users have felt for years. Unreasonable and unjustified smugness at my decision to use a product that isn't embraced by "the man" or "popular culture"

Actually.. no, I don't have that, I just really like the phone and what it does. Great that others really enjoy their Android and Mac phone's. :)

I own an HTC Titan and I adore the thing. Really happy with it.

I am convinced most people who bitch about windows phones never really used one, or have a blinding bias.

I had a phone with Windows Phone 6. Horrible phone. It was one of the more powerful ones at the time too, the HTC Tilt. It constantly was freezing and had a horrible user interface.

I had a phone with Windows Phone 6. Horrible phone. It was one of the more powerful ones at the time too, the HTC Tilt. It constantly was freezing and had a horrible user interface.

Windows Mobile is NOTHING like Windows Phone. There's simply no similarity between them other than Windows Phone 7 does use Windows CE though that's going to change with Windows Phone 8 using the Windows 8 kernel.

Didn't they just fire a bunch of marketing people?

So their idea is to fire the people they pay to come up with marketing, and then solicit ideas from the community for free?

Here's a wacky but worthwhile idea: for everybody who purchases a Windows Phone, bundle in free blowjobs.

It's wacky!

Wow, you have a phone running an OS that doesn't exist. Grats.

1. Build a time machine
2. Go back to 2008
3. Release Windows Phone

Seriously, nobody gives a crap at this point. Everyone is on iOS or Android. Windows Phone came out several years too late to be relevant.

"We’re looking for ad concepts, contest ideas, social media campaigns, and whatever other wacky but worthwhile ideas you can up with ..."

hmm it actually makes sense.. theres no way those monkeys are using their own operational systems these days..

I think what he really said is the he wants a Lumia running Android. I've lost count on how many times someone whined on not having Android on the 800's chassis. It can't be the other WP models because most of those already have an Android counterpart.

I have an HTC EVO4G and love it. I had the Mogul and Touch Pro 2 both windows based, made better with custom roms. I was making the joke that if MS wants the phones to work better they should make them Android based... I wasn't whiny about Windows mobile..

I think a good idea is get their phones over to good mobile companys like Boost mobile and virgin mobile at least that way they could get more phones in the hands with people with a limited budget and as far as the phones go i heard that the windows phones are really fast and responsive and most reviews ive seen of windows phones is people seem to really like them... but my opinion is they need to expand to more mobile carriers if they are going to compete with IOS and Android ...

Windows phone is great. I was skeptical, because it really got a lot of bad press, but then i really wanted an HTC titan and thought, what the hell. Maybe it helped going in with low expectation, but i couldn't be more impressed. Couple small things could use ironed out, but it's a very nice experience overall. And i love the Titan.

Windows phone is great. I was skeptical, because it really got a lot of bad press, but then i really wanted an HTC titan and thought, what the hell. Maybe it helped going in with low expectation, but i couldn't be more impressed. Couple small things could use ironed out, but it's a very nice experience overall. And i love the Titan.

It got bad press?

Sure you're not thinking of windows mobile?

Love the mentality on this site of "oh someone else already has a big market share, just give up"
Sometimes it's the best business decision a company can make. That's not to say David can't conquer Goliath, but when David has to answer to shareholders, he has to pick his battles carefully.

Sometimes it's the best business decision a company can make. That's not to say David can't conquer Goliath, but when David has to answer to shareholders, he has to pick his battles carefully.

Microsoft has no choice ut to be in the phone space and with the convergence of Windows on all devices it's becoming something of a moot point, what does into Windows is going into phones.

Gotta say, I was a hardcore Android user for years. I bought just about every high end phone that came out right when it came out. I just recently switched from a Samsung Galaxy SII (after having a Nexus One, Evo 4G, Nexus S 4G, Evo 3D) to an HTC Titan and I am in love with WP.

All of my friends that have iPhones tell me they stick with them because the user experience is just plain good. I'll say the same thing for WP. Almost everything I did with Android is faster and smoother and far more integrated on WP. Really glad I made the switch.

Back