StarTech Announces New HDMI Over IP Extender

HardOCP News

[H] News
We get press releases all the time but this HDMI Over IP Extender actually looks like something you guys would be interested in. There is a VGA version as well but the HDMI unit is really what caught my eye. Here's a bit of info from the product page:

The IPUSB2HD2 HDMI over IP Extender delivers a versatile HDMI-IP link between PCs on your network and an HDMI monitor/projector, at full high definition (1080p, 1920x1080) video resolution. Accompanying audio signals are transmitted directly through the HDMI output, or separately through the built-on 3.5mm stereo output port. An ideal solution for sharing a display or projector over an Ethernet network so that even PCs lacking digital video output can still connect, the IP/HDMI adapter can communicate through a network router at transmission distances up to 100m (300ft). Plus, it offers 2 USB 2.0 ports on the display side, to connect and share peripherals such as USB storage or keyboard/mouse input with the connected PC.

Features of HDMI over IP Extender (IPUSB2HD2) include:

• HDMI over IP conversion for shared access over a network
  • Supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 (1080p)
  • Audio over HDMI
  • Support for Windows Aero®
  • 2 USB ports for peripheral connections (display side)

Last edited:
Neat! Until I saw the price. Might be a nice alternative to PlayOn for video streaming from a computer -- that is, if you don't have an Xbox or PS3 handy.

Nice if you need to extend your video run and either HDMI cord is not long enough, or you are trying to make use of existing structured cabling

I've got a sample of a WiFi to HDMI one on my desk. It's probably from the same factory.

wifi2tv.jpg

With WiFi, it works pretty well and it's suppose to be DLNA compliant as well meaning I should be able to connect my phone and stream videos. Haven't tried it but I did try transmitting my laptop's video to the unit and there is a noticeable lag and some compression via WiFi. Will have to test it out wired.

Does this introduce lossy compression? HDMI even 1.2 supported up to 4Gbit/s.. and newer standards even higher..

At 30fps, uncompressed 1080p would take just about 1.4Gbps to run if my math is right. That isn't even including any protocol overhead. 24fps == 1.1Gbps. 3D is going to need around 2.8-3.0Gbps to work. Obviously all that is raw uncompressed data. I would think lossless compression would get you under what GigE could do for 24fps, and maybe even for 30fps. A quick Google search leaves me clueless on what the compression ratios are for various algorithms.

My hunch is that 3D isn't going to happen though...does that extender mention anything about HDMI 1.2 support?

This seems to be interesting... Not sure how or how well this works... I would love to see some reviews...

I just bought a 50' HDMI cable to run along side a network cable I set up to my plasma. I would of considered this, then I saw the devices are over $100 each.

I had problems with my 50 ft HDMI run from my PC to my TV. It would usually work but every few minutes the screen would flash a white bar for just a fraction of a second. Sometimes it just wouldn't give me any picture.

Solution: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10105&cs_id=1010504&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2 $40

This thing works great. You have to use two CAT5e or CAT6 cables. It recommends CAT6. I'm always using 1080P and the Monoprice extender has been 100% reliable. I don't think there is any compression involved but please correct me if I'm wrong. I do not have a 3D TV or receiver and currently I'm running the audio separately via optical SPDIF. The build quality is great too; both sender and receivers have metal cases.

I do understand the extender in the article is a bit different. If you just need point-to-point HDMI extension then take a look at that Monoprice extender.

Unfortunately, the thing is $214.99!

I could hack a PS3 or build an HTPC with video streaming for that kind of money that would have more functionality than this.

I had problems with my 50 ft HDMI run from my PC to my TV. It would usually work but every few minutes the screen would flash a white bar for just a fraction of a second. Sometimes it just wouldn't give me any picture.

Solution: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10105&cs_id=1010504&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2 $40

This thing works great. You have to use two CAT5e or CAT6 cables. It recommends CAT6. I'm always using 1080P and the Monoprice extender has been 100% reliable. I don't think there is any compression involved but please correct me if I'm wrong. I do not have a 3D TV or receiver and currently I'm running the audio separately via optical SPDIF. The build quality is great too; both sender and receivers have metal cases.

I do understand the extender in the article is a bit different. If you just need point-to-point HDMI extension then take a look at that Monoprice extender.
I don't have any problems with mine. I'm using a High Speed (1.4) HDMI cable though.

This is great, I was just starting to look into HDMI over Cat 5/6. I plan on getting a 6970 or better, very soon. Another thing I still have to look in to is, will it be able to use the sound from the HDMI on the video card for the TV and can I use the onboard sound for the PC, at the same time?

Some of us are not understanding the concept of these types of devices. Sure you can build a HTPC or hack a PS3 but that's not what these products are for. These are for people who want to play video/audio or push a game to their big screen tv.

I have a computer in my office and that is my main gaming pc that also stores all my video and music. It has a large enough pc monitor that I don't want/need anything bigger. Sometimes I want to play a racing game on my big screen in the living room and be social. Sometimes I want to watch a video I have on my PC on the big screen. I don't want to have a separate computer that sits by the tv taking up more space to do these types of things.
This is where these products shine. I have been following and doing a lot of research on these products but there are not many that really stand out IMO. The best wireless setup I have seen is BriteView. There are a lot of options for wired but they usually require something like the #1Rage placed a link to where you need two ethernet cables. The StarTech is about $150 on amazon btw.
MrValentine, let me know how that setup works for you. It looks promising but there are not enough reviews on it yet.

I am happy to see more of these products coming out and becoming less problematic. There are still a lot out there that are though. I would like to see more of these type of products covered on HardOCP. I see these next couple years as booming with these types of products and more people striving to have a similar setup.

What I would really like to see is something more like the Netgear Push2tv over your already existing network.

...Which is more of what this product is. Sorry for the triple posts. I can't edit.

Some of us are not understanding the concept of these types of devices. Sure you can build a HTPC or hack a PS3 but that's not what these products are for. These are for people who want to play video/audio or push a game to their big screen tv.

I have a computer in my office and that is my main gaming pc that also stores all my video and music. It has a large enough pc monitor that I don't want/need anything bigger. Sometimes I want to play a racing game on my big screen in the living room and be social. Sometimes I want to watch a video I have on my PC on the big screen. I don't want to have a separate computer that sits by the tv taking up more space to do these types of things.
This is where these products shine. I have been following and doing a lot of research on these products but there are not many that really stand out IMO. The best wireless setup I have seen is BriteView. There are a lot of options for wired but they usually require something like the #1Rage placed a link to where you need two ethernet cables. The StarTech is about $150 on amazon btw.
MrValentine, let me know how that setup works for you. It looks promising but there are not enough reviews on it yet.

I am happy to see more of these products coming out and becoming less problematic. There are still a lot out there that are though. I would like to see more of these type of products covered on HardOCP. I see these next couple years as booming with these types of products and more people striving to have a similar setup.

Thank you, your above.situation exactly mirrors my own. I have logitech z680's upstairs and downstairs so.not sure if id get 5.1 trough the analog (have an audigy __ latest version dont remember the exact name) but this would be ideal especially with the usb2 inputs. I'm going to wait on some reviews before taking the plunge

Back