Sheriff's Department Has "Creep of the Week" Facebook Page

HardOCP News

[H] News
So much for innocent until proven guilty in Jefferson County Alabama. Not only does the Sheriff's Department post pictures of alleged criminals on its "creep of the week" Facebook page, the sheriff actually gets into debates with the suspects in his spare time. :eek:

Oy vey.

He will undoubtedly be ordered to take the page down.

I dunno, I find pages like that pretty darn funny. Almost always a parade of idiots.

I thought the sheriff handled that reasonably well, in the screenshot. He didn't discuss any details of the case against the guy, nor did he get drawn into a flame war.

This isn't really any different from a Wanted poster, other than that "Creep of the Week" has rather a flippant tone, and it'll probably be more visible.

This fucking country has been going down the shitter over the last 30 years as our personal freedoms have been eroded away...

I wonder if I should take that job in Vancouver, BC in July to teach up there...

I can smell the lawsuit for harassment from here! I don't see this going over well!

I wonder if the cop was obligated and failed to mention to the 'suspect' with the 'arrest warrant' out for him that anything he says may and can be used against him in a court of law? I could see a good lawyer arguing this....

I like the way the Sheriff says he can answer questions about the case on facebook then a post later he's "quiet don't talk about the case here"

Seems to me that the sheriff has too much time on his hands. Shouldn't he be spending his time doing actual administration or planning (the normal things you'd expect a sheriff to do)?

Next time I overspeed, I expect to hear: "You have the right to remain silent. Every thing you say on Facebook and Twitter can be used against you."

I love on one of the photos, this back-and-forth:
Craig Francis if i knew where he was id take his ass to the county my self. yea im his dad. no i didnt raise him like that.

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Thank you Mr. Francis. If we can assist you in any way please call on us.

And this set by the Sheriff (the original referenced comment is obviously gone:
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Whitney's last comment was deleted because of foul language.

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Why is it that, when people are robbing, using drugs and committing other crimes, they care little about morals or treating people the way they want to be treated, but when they are caught and society frowns on them, they demand the treatment they failed to show others?

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office We are not mad at you Whitney. By the way you have an outstanding warrant with the City of Gardendale. You might want to give them a call. 205-631-8787.

This is sweet.

and this is also why I never use facebook its stupid and pointless.

I'm sorry, but to all who replied about a lawsuit, how is this any different then a wanted poster? Or putting it in the newspaper or on the news? And as far as this country getting worse (blah blah blah) those old timey wanted posters read "dead or alive". Not exactly due process. ;)

I'm sorry, but to all who replied about a lawsuit, how is this any different then a wanted poster? Or putting it in the newspaper or on the news? And as far as this country getting worse (blah blah blah) those old timey wanted posters read "dead or alive". Not exactly due process. ;)

I replied with the exact same sentiments.

No different than a wanted poster.

Many, many local papers and other publications post people (with, gasp, names!) charged with crimes and sometimes mug shots on a weekly/weekendly basis, such as disorderly conduct, domestic abuse, public intox, narcotics, etc. And that's before they're convicted of anything.

Not sure what the big deal is on this. Kudos to the authorities for using Facebook, and unfortunately for Dustin, he acknowledged receipt of said request.

Defamation, libel, and likely tainting potential jurors? Is he shooting for a zero percent conviction rate and unemployment?

Libel? What was said that was false?

Tainting jurors? Newspapers have a larger local audience than his Facebook site will...

Nothing there was illegal. Stupid and immature, sure, but it was within the law. Miranda rights are only required to be read to you before you are questioned by an officer. The kid whos got the warrant on there is a little douche bag twep and sounds like he deserves some time just to shup him up.

Just want to mention that this guy is 5'5 and 155 lbs. What girl couldn't fight this guy off? She had to be drunk or high. Also this is Alabama. If you live in that state, you should feel bad. Nothing good ever came from that state.

Just saying.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1325466/alabama_rednecks_topgear/

Or she could be full of shit. Reading that exchange reeks of a false rape accusation, and as such I don't blame the guy for leaving town.

Or she could be full of shit. Reading that exchange reeks of a false rape accusation, and as such I don't blame the guy for leaving town.
This is the way of thinking I have never understood. If you are innocent then why not stay around and prove it. By running and talking shit you just make yourself look guilty, even if your not.

Look around, it looks like most departments around the country have one of these pages. My area has one and the surrounding jurisdictions have one. Also do you really believe THE sheriff of a jurisdiction with over half a million people is answering questions on facebook? Probably a deputy or even a civilian employee like a secretary.

Also it's not defamation to tell the truth. If Bob has a warrant for his arrest and I tell world+dog he's wanted for that warrant it is not a falsity. Therefor no damages and no case. Now if I were to say that the underlying charges were true without a conviction that may be another matter. That's why the news always says "allegedly" whenever they talk about someones charges prior to court. ;)

Back