Pirate Bay Founders’ Prison Sentences Final

HardOCP News

[H] News
Getting sent to prison sucks. But, if I absolutely had to go...this prison doesn't look so bad. Hell, my dorm room wasn't this nice.

A few moments ago Sweden’s Supreme Court announced its decision not to grant leave to appeal in the long-running Pirate Bay criminal trial. This means that the previously determined jail sentences and fines handed out to Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm and Carl Lundström will stand. November 2010, the Swedish Court of Appeal found three people behind The Pirate Bay guilty of criminal copyright infringement offenses.

"According to Pirate Bay, "With this said, we hear news from our old admins that they have received a verdict in Sweden. Our 3 friends and blood brothers have been sentenced to prison. This might sound worse than it is. Since no one of them no longer lives in Sweden, they won't go to jail. They are as free today as they were yesterday."

Hah.

Gotta give pirate bay credit, it's a surprise that they're still around. Considering all the SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA. Even MegaUpload didn't make it.

those are light sentences.

Even lindsay lohan could serve them without problem.

the fine is only 6.8 million ?? That is probably beans compared to what they did make from advertising

Read the book Catch Me if You Can (the movie doesn't go much into this). Abagnale's time in French prison almost killed him, then he was sent to Sweden to serve his time to that country. He was shocked at the difference, it was more like an apartment with good food, nice bed, etc. When he was told his next stop was Italy, where prison was much like the French model, he fought like mad to have the Swedes extradite him to the U.S.

Face it, super tough nasty prisons that don't worry about rehabilitation inhibit crime! Or, at least in this case, make it so criminals who have already committed the crime do everything they can to avoid hard time. Johnny Cochran rhyme there.

Face it, super tough nasty prisons that don't worry about rehabilitation inhibit crime!
Not really.

The U.S. has the highest incarceration rate in the entire world by far, and the prisons are so bad that rape, prisoner/guard beatings, and murders are common, almost expected.
Yet our crime rates are nowhere near being the world's lowest.

When will people learn...

the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes!

Face it, super tough nasty prisons that don't worry about rehabilitation inhibit crime! Or, at least in this case, make it so criminals who have already committed the crime do everything they can to avoid hard time.

I disagree as well. Focusing on punishment rather than remolding the individual into a positive member of society only makes more (violent) incrementally improved/better criminals. Actually, humans can adapt to almost any circumstance so some of them in the worst prisons in the US actually want to go back once released for fear of failing in the real world. We have to change their behavior for the good otherwise they remain recidivists.

I don't get how they are breaking any laws, TPB does not even host anything. Then again Megaupload was not breaking the law either. The US government does what it wants to whoever it wants and nobody can stop them. They are the bullies of the world.

I'm surprised they did not shut down the site yet though. Guess they have a solid infrastructure going on or some kind of loophole that does not allow the US government to enter.

I disagree as well. Focusing on punishment rather than remolding the individual into a positive member of society only makes more (violent) incrementally improved/better criminals. Actually, humans can adapt to almost any circumstance so some of them in the worst prisons in the US actually want to go back once released for fear of failing in the real world. We have to change their behavior for the good otherwise they remain recidivists.

Violence only gives way to more violence.

Hate breeds hate.

The worse the prison system, the more likely the prisoner will return to it. Rehabilitation systems work, even prisoners who are in the US who have gone to half-way houses thereafter a prison sentence have done substantially better than those who do not. Rehabilitation works. Sweden may have killer prison systems (and I don't mean killer as in, you be dead), but there crime rate is very very low compared to violent prison systems.

What really gets me is that they still have their domain name and everything

Gotta give pirate bay credit, it's a surprise that they're still around. Considering all the SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA. Even MegaUpload didn't make it.

MegaUpload actually hosted infringing content. TPB does not.

Google and Yahoo's execs are put on notice? I mean, hell, if you travel overseas you may end up in prison for your site's users' actions. Ditto Megaupload, oh, wait, that's going on right here in the US.

This nonsense has got to stop. The sites are NOT responsible for how their shit gets used. We saw this ages ago when courts ruled gun manufacturers were shielded from liability when someone uses a firearm in a crime.

I don't think you've been in jail for more than a day have you?

I've been in jail. 6 months. Grant county, KY no less.

While I agree that remodeling would be great in an IDEAL society,the people in jail are anything BUT ideal. I'd say split the difference. The first half should be punishment, the 2nd half should be rehabilitation.

The worse thing about being in jail is that no one gives a fuck about you when you're there. There are no true friends when you're in jail, just temporary truce.

I don't think you've been in jail for more than a day have you?

What a baseless assumption on your part...lol. The funniest part though is that you think having been in jail/prison makes one more qualified to give an opinion on the incarceration system in the United States. That's laughable. It's like saying I wouldn't know if a NASA space shuttle crashing into the moon is good or bad because I'm not a rocket scientist. Here I thought it was common sense just for knowing the statistics on crime rates and recidivists.

While I agree that remodeling would be great in an IDEAL society,the people in jail are anything BUT ideal. I'd say split the difference. The first half should be punishment, the 2nd half should be rehabilitation.

I disagree. If they were "ideal", they wouldn't need remolding to begin with. So it's kind of the point. Of course I think violent people should be punished to the fullest extent but that's not who we're talking about here. We're talking about nonviolent offenders that go in and just become more violent as they learn "the ways" of that world. That means they just end up getting environmentally/emotionally/physically/spiritually corrupted/abused.

The worse thing about being in jail is that no one gives a fuck about you when you're there. There are no true friends when you're in jail, just temporary truce.

The worst thing about being in jail is that you broke a serious law. The second worst thing about being in jail is what we're talking about above, you don't learn from your mistakes through ways that will make you a better human. In most cases, one becomes worse off. Which is why there are so many people being incarcerated in the US and more than half remaining recidivists throughout their entire life.

Back