MegaUpload's Data Safe For Two More Weeks

HardOCP News

[H] News
Considering the feds have MegaUpload now, you should just consider anything you had stored there as a loss. If it was copyrighted content...you'll probably want to lawyer up. ;)

With MegaUpload disabled by the feds and accused of widespread piracy, and many of its top managers in jail or out on bail, there has been no way for the company to pay Carpathia Hosting and Cogent Communications, the services that host its data. For a while, it looked like those companies would begin deleting user data as early as Thursday.

Kim Dotcom is probably counting on Carpathia to delete everything to destroy evidence.

delete everything to destroy evidence

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/74302.html
The U.S. Attorney's Office handling the case against Megaupload and its founder Kim Dotcom and associates has informed the court it's OK to begin deleting the Megaupload data beginning on Feb. 2, according to press reports. The two storage companies that host Megaupload data -- Cogent Communications and Carpathia Hosting -- are free to sweep their servers clean.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia has copied sufficient data for its prosecution and no longer needs the hosted data.

Yea what that means is that the DA's office has copied the copyrighted data & then if the servers are wiped they can say that 100% of the data was copyrighted since the remaining legal stuff wont be there..

I've never been a fan of the cloud because 1. I don't trust anyone with my data... and 2. I don't trust anyone with my data. It could be deleted or just looked and used... I don't feel there is any privacy with the cloud.

Now what if for instance I bought an album from Amazon and zipped it up and placed it on megaupload for myself to access at work, my laptop, remotely, etc. Steve mentioned if it was copyrighted to lawyer up - but seriously what if it was copyrighted but you were the only person accessing it? How would they know the difference... and if someone did get access.. how would you know it? PDF of books might be another reason.. I can access from home, at school, etc... the whole reason for the cloud.

I'm just wondering cause I'm assuming there will be one situation where something copyrighted was held there.

Feel sorry for these other companies, losing Megaupload as a client for data storage must be a huge hit for them.

I used MU extensively to swap large files. Upload/download was fast, so why not?

Anyone upset about how the US is extraditing the people from MegaUpload to the US even knowing they arn't from the US? Hows that fair?

Anyone upset about how the US is extraditing the people from MegaUpload to the US even knowing they arn't from the US? Hows that fair?

This is entirely up to the country they are citizens of not the US.

What I am most worried about is that if MegaUpload is responsible why isn't Carpathia for storing the data, or ATT for moving in there network?

Didn't some of the criminal activity technically happen in the US, ie. servers hosted here in the US? If so, then it can be argued that the crimes took place in the US. Perhaps internet law needs to catch up with the real world.

Larger legal question: if you are physically in country A, hack/host/etc files in country B, who should get jurisdiction and in which country is the crime technically committed? Usually the crime and person are the same location.

I don't see how its mega uploads responsibility to stop the illegal actions of others. They were hosting a upload/downlaod website. And many videos were taken down by reuest of copyright holders. I would like to know what evidence is agaisnt them. If any thing this seems like a civil case with no jail time required.

There is one hell of a bunch of info on those servers, especially who uploaded what and shared.

This whole copyright business lately seems a lot like the Salem with trials or McCarthy's communist hunts.

There is one hell of a bunch of info on those servers, especially who uploaded what and shared.

I'm not sure if anyone can get in trouble legally for uploading it to their servers. Maybe for a single act of copyright infringement, but it's not like P2P where you're willingly sharing a lot of data. This could just be neglect to password protect it or something.

I'm not sure if anyone can get in trouble legally for uploading it to their servers. Maybe for a single act of copyright infringement, but it's not like P2P where you're willingly sharing a lot of data. This could just be neglect to password protect it or something.

I still think the RIAA would have to prove that I d/led all the bytes to the movie. Getting my Ip address off of p2p for a few minutes proves what, that I was dling, no proof that I finished getting all the bytes to make the movie watchable.I still think a smart ass lawyer could use that scenario, I believe.

I still think the RIAA would have to prove that I d/led all the bytes to the movie. Getting my Ip address off of p2p for a few minutes proves what, that I was dling, no proof that I finished getting all the bytes to make the movie watchable.I still think a smart ass lawyer could use that scenario, I believe.

No they don't. You can be accused of copyright infrengement from just having a portion of the entire copyrighted work, don't need to have the entire thing.

Didn't some of the criminal activity technically happen in the US, ie. servers hosted here in the US? If so, then it can be argued that the crimes took place in the US. Perhaps internet law needs to catch up with the real world.

Larger legal question: if you are physically in country A, hack/host/etc files in country B, who should get jurisdiction and in which country is the crime technically committed? Usually the crime and person are the same location.

You are correct, the company had servers, and did business in the US, which justifies trying the case here.

As for your larger legal question, a much more clear cut example can be provided. Currently people can be imprisoned and tried in the US for sexual abuse of children in foreign countries. While I have no problem locking up these scum I do have to question if this could possibly be the tip of the iceberg. Could someone coming home from the Netherlands be arrested for using drugs that are legal

I don't see how its mega uploads responsibility to stop the illegal actions of others. They were hosting a upload/downlaod website. And many videos were taken down by reuest of copyright holders. I would like to know what evidence is agaisnt them. If any thing this seems like a civil case with no jail time required.

Because MU not only knew the material was being illegally uploaded to them but they actually took steps to encourage it and avoid carrying out takedown requests so as to profit from this piracy.

Sorry didn't finish the thought.

Could someone coming home from the Netherlands be arrested for using drugs that are legal there buy illegal here?

Back