Firefox Pulls Tab Features from Version 12

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Yesterday the news was all about the new features in Firefox 12 that were to be released to the Aurora channel at the end of the month. Yesterday evening the announcements were updated to inform users that the Home Tab and the New Tab features will probably not be released with Firefox 12, but will make it into version 13 to be released in May. Yet another small setback for the Firefox browser.

So ...
Firefox 12 is a pass then.
Tabs are important, bro.

The tabs them self will still be there, its the new features they wanted to add to the tabs that wont be.

The article is poorly explained, I though they were removing the tabs at first to.

I never use the home tab or new tab buttons anyway. When I want a new tab, I just hit CTRL-T. :)

Firefox 10 is in the Beta Channel and will be released on January 31st.

Firefox 11 is in the Aurora (alpha) Channel and is scheduled for release March 13th (6 weeks after 10).

Firefox 12 is in the Nightly (pre-alpha/development) Channel and scheduled for an April 24 release (6 more weeks).

The nightly channel is where developers add new features that they think are working right into the main FF build. The Aurora and Beta builds are bug testing/QA releases (IIRC updated weekly) where they hunt down and fix bugs in features; or occasionally remove them if the problem can't be easily fixed by the deadlines.

Holy hell... I went from Firefox 3 to 8 in like ... less than a year?? What the hell is Mozilla thinking..

I browse quite a bit with my iPad2 and never used both features so I'll be ok. But worse is to read about people get bent out of shape with Firefox for pushing back these two features. How about the inability to focus new tabs when opened and being able to move the tabs below the address bar in Chrome.

Holy hell... I went from Firefox 3 to 8 in like ... less than a year?? What the hell is Mozilla thinking..

They just got rid of minor version numbers in favor of major ones. Instead of 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, etc... they are just doing 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, etc...

It's just a number anyway, who really cares?

They just got rid of minor version numbers in favor of major ones. Instead of 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, etc... they are just doing 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, etc...

It's honestly a marketing thing. Chrome has done it that way since the beginning. When Joe Average looks at browsers and sees "Chrome 25" vs "Firefox 3" he is inclined to think the higher numbered one is better. Granted...in that particular case he would be correct IMO lol.

Just us old fogies that don't like the ideas of talking about Firefox 42 or, god forbid, something with an "and" in it like 105 (one-hundred and five).

People still use Firefox?

Chrome all the way man!

Chrome does not have a properly functioning version of NoScript and apparently because of how it's built, may never have one. For that one reason I won't use it.

A whole new version number in a few months?!?!!

I remember when 1.0 was all the rage!

I've found FF 9 to be unstable as hell, and difficult to re-launch after a crash.

If it doesn't improve, and assuming I can get my essential extensions for Chrome, it may just be time to make a move.

Firefox is on a high-speed rail to hell. They need to slow it the hell down. We're basically getting 'nightly builds' as major releases it seems to me.

The last really stable version was 4. I may just go back to it if this keeps up.

Firefox is on a high-speed rail to hell. They need to slow it the hell down. We're basically getting 'nightly builds' as major releases it seems to me

This is what I don't like as well. Nightly builds(damn near) being marketed as major releases.

I will never use Google Chrome. Just wait until their new privacy policy sells you out to the government.

Chrome does not have a properly functioning version of NoScript and apparently because of how it's built, may never have one. For that one reason I won't use it.

This. Browsing the internet without NoScript is like having unprotected sex with everything that moves in Bangkok. Why risk it?

Sure, keeping the numbers high is their goal, but new features behind those ever-higher numbers would also be nice. I know if I were to see that a program I hadn't run since 3.5 had jumped version to 11 I might be interested in trying it to see how much they'd improved. If it was minimal I might be put off.

If new Firefox versions aren't doing it for you, give Opera a go... it's surprisingly ok!)

I will never use Google Chrome. Just wait until their new privacy policy sells you out to the government.

That too.

Are you really going to trust Google with a web browser (the only program on your computer that's on the clear end of your HTTPS connections) not to sell you out to their advertisers or any of the governments they collude with?

I think not. 100% open source, or GTFO.

I think I may rollback to the ESR Firefox and just watch the fireworks; I'm sick of this rapid upgrade BS.

That too.

Are you really going to trust Google with a web browser (the only program on your computer that's on the clear end of your HTTPS connections) not to sell you out to their advertisers or any of the governments they collude with?

Yes, honestly, I do. Google is the only company that is transparent about government requests, and they never sell your information to advertisers.

Of course being open source also means I don't actually *need* to trust Google ;)

I think not. 100% open source, or GTFO.

http://www.chromium.org/Home ?

Comodo Dragon. It's Chrome with the privacy invasion parts gutted. But I still prefer Firefox anyway. I do have portable dragon installed but FF is still my main browser of choice.

Oh yea, Chrome does not have a search box like FF where I can choose any search engine I have added. Chrome uses the address bar like IE does. Numerous times I have typed into that bar in IE the address for a site and instead it brings up bing search for what I typed. The FF search box is 100x better than the method Chrome and IE uses. 100X!

How about organizations that require configuration control which includes analysis of major software revisions. Throwing out whole new numbers will fark with such a system in quick fashion. Hence, many places are still on 3.6.25.

How about organizations that require configuration control which includes analysis of major software revisions. Throwing out whole new numbers will fark with such a system in quick fashion. Hence, many places are still on 3.6.25.

They didn't want you to change from that version if that's important. Now that 10 is out, they now advise for those organizations to upgrade because it will be their extended support release from here on out. ESRs will only update every 7 release cycles, or 42 weeks.

And before someone complains about breaking plugins, 10 automatically assumes that all plugins from 4 and up are compatible.

Oh yea, Chrome does not have a search box like FF where I can choose any search engine I have added. Chrome uses the address bar like IE does. Numerous times I have typed into that bar in IE the address for a site and instead it brings up bing search for what I typed. The FF search box is 100x better than the method Chrome and IE uses. 100X!

Yeah, but, who the fuck uses anything but Google anyway these days? :p

Back