McAfee Says Symantec Is Lying About Market Share

HardOCP News

[H] News
If I was McAfee in this situation, I would go all 9th grade on Symantec with "talk about liars, how's that whole source-code-that-wouldn't-affect-current-customers-thing working out for you?" :D

McAfee Senior Vice President for Finance and Accounting Edward Hayden told Reuters on Thursday that the claim was false. He added that his company had booked a record amount of business in its December quarter, signed its biggest deal ever and closed more sales over $1 million than it had in any single period. "We are not aware of any major account that we lost to Symantec during the quarter," he said.

McAfee's corporate software is pretty slick. The interface for their different packages could be better, but overall I like it.

I do not like their home user software, but it looks like it is getting better than it used to be.

Just because Symantec signed a large deal doesn't necessarily mean that they took if from McAfee... for that matter, it could be that they signed a new, bigger, contract with a company that they were already doing business with.

Anybody try or hear anything about mcafee deepsafe? It is supposed to sit below the OS to detect rootkits. Your CPU needs to have the VT bit so it sounds like it is a hypervisor of sorts.

The idea is actually pretty good, just curious as to how well it works.

McAfee's corporate software is pretty slick. The interface for their different packages could be better, but overall I like it.

I do not like their home user software, but it looks like it is getting better than it used to be.

Just because Symantec signed a large deal doesn't necessarily mean that they took if from McAfee... for that matter, it could be that they signed a new, bigger, contract with a company that they were already doing business with.

Recently they bought a company I used to work for to break into the IDS / IPS market.

Recently they bought a company I used to work for to break into the IDS / IPS market.

How long ago was "recently"? They've been in that market for at least four years that I know of. When they bought the company I worked for they added that product line to my workload. The hardware used is some of the crappiest I've ever dealt with.

As others have said, I'm not a fan of either. I'd believe McAfee over Symantec any day of the week, though.

How long ago was "recently"? They've been in that market for at least four years that I know of. When they bought the company I worked for they added that product line to my workload. The hardware used is some of the crappiest I've ever dealt with.

October. Well maybe they were already in that market but they wanted the software behind it that my company made.

Yep. Both incredibly bloated no better than a free solution like MSE or avast!: Free Edition.

MSE ftw.

I've started moving all of my clients off of McAfee and Symantec in turn for MSE.

Both companies are horribly flawed in their practices and their software is faulty and bloated at best.

It's funny that they both offer anti-virus apps for Androids.
You know, because custom Linux distros get so many viruses. :D

I'd take Symantec over McAfee any day of the week, ran into nothing but problems with them in the last 15 years, although they both bog the system down when they are doing background scanning.

I'm contemplating moving to Avast, and MSE again (although I'm not sure if it was MSE, or Zone Alarm that was causing the system to lose time on the system tray clock).

The client I work for, let's be conservative and say it is, a Fortune 500 company. McAfee time and time again would receive samples of malware, provide a modified stinger as a fix and it would not detect the malware. The company is moving to Symantec. I believe McAfee had several chances to shine and left the company's IT staff and support personnel, from top to bottom, not trusting their product.

Norton antivirus>Mcafee. I work in a computer store and from my virus experience the standard Norton antivirus 2012 NOT the 360 NOT the internet security. The standard AV is more efficent, slicker, and more reliable than mcafee. SOOOO many computers come in with Mcafee and Viruses its ridiculous.

Norton antivirus>Mcafee. I work in a computer store and from my virus experience the standard Norton antivirus 2012 NOT the 360 NOT the internet security. The standard AV is more efficent, slicker, and more reliable than mcafee. SOOOO many computers come in with Mcafee and Viruses its ridiculous.

I worked in a computer store as well. A huge part of our business was virus removal, and I saw machines come in with viruses running along happily with ALL the major AV softwares, MSE included. Simple fact is, none of them are 100% effective.

I will say, though, that in addition to being one of the most ineffective, Norton (360 or otherwise) was almost always the primary cause of slowdown on a machine running it. It was also an annoying pain in the ass to try to uninstall (I say "try" because it seemed like half the time the uninstaller failed to work properly and we had to dig it out manually). McAfee was slightly less intrusive, but just about as bad at detection.

IMO there is honestly zero reason to buy something like Norton or McAfee when there is MSE.

At my previous place of work we used McAfee but it was junk and caused issues on dozens of severs constantly. We eventually switched to AVG FileServer/Network edition and found it a lot better.

At my current place of work we use Symantec SEP and it has been pretty awesome. I'd say it is the best I've used for a corporate environment, although I sort of liked a the server management interface and a little better in say version 9 when compared to versions 10,11, 12.

I wouldn't call an AV software that needs 250MB of RAM slick.

Since when does the Corporate version take up that much RAM?

We are running AV, the Agent, HIPS, and the Tray app.

The processes for those take up a whopping 60,842k

If I was only running the AV, it would take a whopping 44,256k.

October. Well maybe they were already in that market but they wanted the software behind it that my company made.

I know McAfee bought out Securify a while back, which I am bit familiar with in regards to IDS/IPS through a prior job I had. What company was the recent one?

Norton probably has inflated numbers by counting the millions of expired pre-installs on idiots computers that havent been updated in 2+ years

Norton (360 or otherwise) was almost always the primary cause of slowdown on a machine running it.
That's been my experience as well. I don't see the point of installing a program to protect your computer that actually takes the system down with it.

Since when does the Corporate version take up that much RAM?

We are running AV, the Agent, HIPS, and the Tray app.

The processes for those take up a whopping 60,842k

If I was only running the AV, it would take a whopping 44,256k.

Corporate edition is obsolete, at least with Symantec.
Essentials is what took over and it blows chunks in ways you can't imagine.

I tell everyone I can to stop paying for the Mcafee and Symantic bloatware and use MSE. Most aren't even aware MSE exists and that it's free.

I tell everyone I can to stop paying for the Mcafee and Symantic bloatware and use MSE. Most aren't even aware MSE exists and that it's free.

Same here.
Outside of enterprise situations, MSE is far superior and more lightweight than McAfee or Symantec could ever hope to be at this point.

Last week when I checked it.

Corporate edition is obsolete, at least with Symantec.
Essentials is what took over and it blows chunks in ways you can't imagine.

O.k... I am talking about McAfee here, not Symantec.

It's actual name is "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise"

We are running version 8.8, which is the latest available.

I am not sure what the older versions take up, but 8.0 and 8.5 had a lot of issues. 8.7 was a lot better, and 8.8 is even better.

If it is the same thing that one of you are running, and it is taking up 250MB of RAM, there is seriously something wrong with your configuration.

Back