Google Combining Your User Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has just announced that it is combining more than 70 ToS and privacy policies into one. That part sounds great, the way they explain it all "big brother-like," doesn't.

First, our privacy policies. Despite trimming our policies in 2010, we still have more than 70 (yes, you read right … 70) privacy documents covering all of our different products. This approach is somewhat complicated. It’s also at odds with our efforts to integrate our different products more closely so that we can create a beautifully simple, intuitive user experience across Google.

Last edited:
yeah, took a look at that 'new policy' just a re-hash of the old. in the end they own everything you submit. esp wrt to pics and video content you upload...

Or this... :D

tumblr_l19hopa0wt1qas2zvo1_400.jpg

Anyone know of a really good, pay for, email service that's very secure and good at stopping spam? I've been a gmail user a long time, but I haven't joyed the changes they've made and I think I want them out of my personal business.

Anyone know of a really good, pay for, email service that's very secure and good at stopping spam? I've been a gmail user a long time, but I haven't joyed the changes they've made and I think I want them out of my personal business.

They aren't involved anymore post this change then they were before. Honestly leaving now doesn't gain you anything. To answer your question directly, no there is no other service that comes even close to a Google apps email account.

1: Get your own domain and have it hosted somewhere.

2: Make only one mailbox with a really obscure name (never give this out), but several aliases that point to it. A unique alias for each website you use, such as Ebay, Amazon, etc. Also, create a "throwaway" alias for contest sign-ups and crap like that. If a particular alias starts getting a lot of spam, delete it and create a new one in its place.

3: Profit.

Google doesn't seem to understand that one of my favorite aspects of the internet is that I am anonymous.

I don't want everything I say or do online to be linked to my one email and social networking site with all my personal info.

That's accountability, and, well, screw that.

Brilliant

2: Make only one mailbox with a really obscure name (never give this out), but several aliases that point to it. A unique alias for each website you use, such as Ebay, Amazon, etc. Also, create a "throwaway" alias for contest sign-ups and crap like that. If a particular alias starts getting a lot of spam, delete it and create a new one in its place.

Yeah, if you have a bit of disposable income to help shield yourself, domain registration costs are minimal, especially if you go for very obscure names/TLDs.... And a cheap hosting package to get the email/SMTP stuff (email only hosting perhaps), minimal yearly outlay there. To use GoCrappy as an example: domains for as low as ~$1/year, if you pay upfront for up to 10; email hosting @ $1.99-$2.49/mo. for 5 addresses,2 GB storage, $2.49-2.99/mo. for 10/"unlimited" (add up to 100 more addresses on unlimited [for a fee ofc]).

Oh, and isn't it:
1) Domain
2) Email
3) ...
4) PROFIT!

Those little bastards won't stop stealing my boxers. I'm thinking of trying some rat traps. :p

Many want your personal info and details on your habits so they may sell that information. That's what all this "integrating" is about.

I have several domain names and emails for my business and I get almost no spam, but then again, I don't use it for anything other than business to business communication. That being said, I find my hosting provider to be unreliable. Can you recommend a very reliable hosting service? :)

I have several domain names and emails for my business and I get almost no spam, but then again, I don't use it for anything other than business to business communication. That being said, I find my hosting provider to be unreliable. Can you recommend a very reliable hosting service? :)

Check out hostgator (hostgator.com). Moved my stuff to them a couple years back and don't have any complaints. Their support staff is also based in the US and very responsive, if needed.

Can you recommend a very reliable hosting service? :)

I'm currently on inMotion, and lately I've gotten random timeouts on retrieving email, so I wouldn't recommend them. Had Site5 before that, and Powweb before them. I'm not using either of them anymore, so...

I've read good things about HostGator, and that's probably who I will be switching to when my current term is up.

How fantastic would it be to have an email service that did just this? You don't sign up for an email address, you sign up for an account, and you can have as many aliased emails you want and enable/disable them as you please.

How fantastic would it be to have an email service that did just this? You don't sign up for an email address, you sign up for an account, and you can have as many aliased emails you want and enable/disable them as you please.

Just pay for hosting. You can do this kind of behavior on just about any legit hosting service.

Google Apps does that...

Check out hostgator (hostgator.com). Moved my stuff to them a couple years back and don't have any complaints. Their support staff is also based in the US and very responsive, if needed.

I've heard good things about them. I am currently using StartLogic and they're not bad, but I have lots of small outages and at times it can be extraordinarily slow to load my site. I've also had issues where I don't receive emails for days and sometimes not at all. :eek:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/tech...it-or-not-google-will-track-your-email/47816/

Google quietly announced that some changes to its privacy policy would kick into effect on March 1 and users will not be able to opt out. "Google said Tuesday it will require users to allow the company to follow their activities across e-mail, search, YouTube and other services, a radical shift in strategy that is expected to invite greater scrutiny of its privacy and competitive practices," explained The Washington Post's Cecilia Kang, who took note of Google's recent less-than-stellar earnings report as well as the privacy complaint the company recently settled with the Federal Trade Commission. "The information will enable Google to develop a fuller picture of how people use its growing empire of Web tools. Consumers will have no choice but to accept the changes." The new policy will also apply to Android users.

This is unacceptable.

Here's my opt out: I won't use them any more. Gmail I use casually, I can switch that stuff over to yahoo, and there's plenty of other search engines.

Just pay for hosting. You can do this kind of behavior on just about any legit hosting service.

Yep. I've been using my own server for the longest time. I started off using hosting, but then ended up just using my own server. I like having full control over my stuff. I setup postfix with virtualhost and have all my domains pointed there and setup mailboxes/aliases. I also have a few for friends and family. I use my home server for the actual spam filtering, as home servers cost way less than leased servers, so I try to put the least load possible on the internet one. But you could easily just have the spam filtering happen at the internet server too. Spamassassin with procmail can be quite powerful once tweaked properly. I have a web interface to add/delete/edit rules to make my life easier. When I get spam that makes it into my inbox I analyze it for what makes it "spammy" and add new rules. The system has been working great for the last 10ish years. I have to tweak it here and there but overall I'd say it has a 99% spam stop rate. I get over 100 spam per day and maybe 1-2 per week that make it in.

Is there any free email service that is recommended for non--technical relatives and friends. What about zoho.com or mail.com. Does anybody have any experience with them or their privacy practices?
As for myself, I am currently leasing server space to host my own email but I prefer not to hook them up to my service.

How does a company make money without invading privacy that is the question. If you search around you can find lots of people who make this claim like gmx. Not sure how true it is, or how good their email service is. Or what they get out of it.

Is there any free email service that is recommended for non--technical relatives and friends. What about zoho.com or mail.com. Does anybody have any experience with them or their privacy practices?
As for myself, I am currently leasing server space to host my own email but I prefer not to hook them up to my service.

Pretty much any host that uses cpanel. Maybe someone can recommend a specific one. But cpanel is pretty much point and click, and often they even provide a web mail portal.

This is unacceptable.

Here's my opt out: I won't use them any more. Gmail I use casually, I can switch that stuff over to yahoo, and there's plenty of other search engines.

What, you expected them to keep the current 70 different policies for no fucking reason? If they were opting people in to collecting *more* data, then I would agree with you - but they aren't. They are just simplifying a bunch of policies into a single, easy to read policy.

And the new policy even includes links to control all of this stuff (including turning stuff off entirely if you really want) if you guys would quit freaking out over terribly written trash articles and just go directly to the source.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/tech...it-or-not-google-will-track-your-email/47816/

This is unacceptable.

So you would rather have all of Yahoo's spyware and their awful email service on your computer instead? Yea..that makes total sense...:rolleyes:

Dumping Google for a custom domain that you control everything, smart move. Dumping google for a service that is basically worse in every conceivable manner is flat out dumb.

As someone mentioned, google apps is a nice solution if you are willing to pay. I wonder if it's privacy policies are included in this 'roll up'

Back