Facebook Timeline Mandatory Rollout

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't like Facebook Timeline? Too bad, you are getting it whether you like it or not. The good news is that, after switching to Timeline, Facebook gives you seven days to get your page the way you like it before it goes live.

Facebook is the virtual home to more than 800 million active users, so any change to how the network operates is a big deal. And nothing could be bigger for the social hotspot than completely revamping everyone's front-facing profile page, and that is exactly what is happening today. Starting this morning, the new Timeline feature — that up until now has been an optional switch — is now mandatory.

I find the timeline horribly unorganized (or over-organized) to the point of frustrating. This might result in a nice push towards google+ adoption with any luck. I would be using google+ already if other people I knew actually used it... sort of a paradox.

To be honest, it's not that bad and I actually kind of enjoy it now :) Usually I'm the one bitching about all the changes, but this one wasn't that bad at all.

Well I think the Timeline looks neat, but the only reason I haven't switched is because you'd not be able to switch back if anything happens or if I can't get used to it. Just as well they move us all over.

I don't like it. I don't like it at all. I don't like other people's pages that use it, much less want to use it myself.

I have a feeling they (FB) are going to pay for this one way or another.

I doubt it. They've made dramatic changes to the way notifications appear on your FB page and everyone whined for a couple days and then went about their business. Nobody likes changes but if it's forced on them, they'll grumble and then stop.

Microsoft Office was the same way for millions. You don't see them losing sales on them either.

800 million constant users bullshit again? So every single person in the US, europe and south america all use it? Someone should sue and ask for a list...:D

Active accounts, not users. There are users and there are political pages and company pages and so on.

I love it personally. it's aesthetically pleasing and I have more centralized control over what gets posted and who sees what when I do post it. Plus the cover picture idea (simple as it is) is fucking win.

People will bitch and moan and learn to like just like the last 4 major changes. I will also be giving people instructions on how to get a refund if they are unhappy with the service they use... for free.

Active accounts, not users. There are users and there are political pages and company pages and so on.

the virtual home to more than 800 million active users

I still think including companies its waaay too high. Probably around 90m unique constant users. I never use it but ive got 5 accounts from steam signup things and for various bullshit but never sign in.

I still think including companies its waaay too high. Probably around 90m unique constant users. I never use it but ive got 5 accounts from steam signup things and for various bullshit but never sign in.

Yeah I saw the user bit too. I think the author of the article worded it wrong. But there are really a lot of accounts on FB. I'm sure FB users on here will agree.

Only thing I like about it is the cover picture, that's it. I much prefer the older interface.

But since I found out all users will be forced to move to it eventually, I just moved my account to it now to get used to it. :(

Okay I am not going to be one of those odd balls that say I don't use facebook, I do, Twitter... thats another story.

What I will say / ask is does anyone ever look at their own page or other people's pages? Is that whats hot in the streets now? I only ever look at my own feed or list of people I actually want to see in my feed unless I'm looking for something they said a while ago, other than that no.

Now searching posts I have access to, now THAT would be a great feature.

I don't like it. I don't like it at all. I don't like other people's pages that use it, much less want to use it myself.

Agreed. They made it much more difficult to read posts chronologically, IMO, which is ironic since it's called "Timeline". Having two columns where stories that are days apart can be virtually right next to each other is stupid.

I like the look of the top of the page now (with the larger picture and the overall layout) but honestly they are just obfuscating something that does not need to be.

Timeline works fine. People just bitch every time they update something.

Timeline works fine. People just bitch every time they update something.

Exactly, I also don't get why people can't follow the chronological order. Have they never learned to read left to right? Just go down the line and follow the fucking arrows. If you tag a post as a feature then it covers the entire horizontal space. I just wish they'd get rid of the the damn scroll-bars in chrome when viewing embedded Youtube links. On FF its fine though.

Meh.. I don't like it, not because it's new or different... but because it's to pretty :| I like my webpages to be text... text... and more text... not pictures, arrows, pretty boxes... it's not just facebook, but every site seems to be moving away from text to flash and pretty layouts and flowery tree's and I hate it.

Everyone hates this, even the sheeple i know that loves FB before.

Failbook is now becoming failbook... just like I said. 3 years kids, thats how long each social site remains king, then they quickly fall into the pit of "omg you still use that website?!" --- I called it like, before the gaycebook movie, even.....

It was so obviously overhyped and the numbers were so inflated with BULLLLSHITTTTT, 750 million users my ball sack, its not even 1/4 of that in reality... fake accounts, multiples, spammers, not to mention their fake "users returning" numbers which was all 3rd party websites using the gaycebook "Like" app, which of course, connected the user back to their servers no matter which site it was......

Site was never good, never anything new, just copying and overhype investments

facebook.jpg

hmm. Never activated mine because I rarely post anything. Maybe once a month I will post a thought. I guess I will have to add something because it will be almost blank.

It looks like shit and it's impossible to find anything.

Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke"? Where facebook users clamoring for a less-usable interface?

Facebook? I deleted mine quite awhile ago. I found myself not talking to anyone on it. Damn, I must be lame.

as a constant facebook user since college freshmen year.These updates are simply amazing. 60 years ago people were bashing computers saying the word has a market for 3 computers lol. but look at where it is now. get over it. facebook won.

Back