100 Best Companies to Work For

HardOCP News

[H] News
CNN Money has released its annual list of 100 Best Companies to Work For. Things to note about the list:

• Google is #1 (only because we weren't included on the list)
  • Microsoft, Intel, Adobe and Cisco also made the top 100
  • Intel and Microsoft have employees making over $130k a year
  • Microsoft has great health care
  • Intel has a lot of telecommuters
  • Apple didn't make the list at all

No telecoms on that list, however Build-A-Bear Workshop is number 62! :p:p:p

My former employer CarMax made the list again... 7 years in a row now!

It is a great place to work, but I just couldn't juggle the retail sales hours and scheduling against a 7 days a week operation while maintaining a healthy home relationship during the time when my wife and I were in the process of adopting our children.

...If you don't mind typical retail sales scheduling and love making decent money in return for easy work, then I do recommend CarMax for those that have a location nearby and need a job or want to try a different career path. Lots of job choices and advancement opportunities, as well. The initial and ongoing training is about the best I've ever experienced. They truly do set you up for success there.

Intel and Microsoft have employees making over $130k a year

Surprised by that bullet point, though.

Isn't that...uhhh...all of those companies? I mean, you'd expect the exec-level, at least, to be pulling many times tha...

Oh. That's the average. Hmmm. Wording makes a big difference, there...

My company is in the top 10 :D

Hiring? :cool:

"Intel and Microsoft have employees making over $130k a year "

Get a PHD from MIT and starting pay is 100k a year. :eek:

interesting... the supermarket in my city is #4
I can tell you for sure that most of the employees who work their seem to hate it, it's mostly teenagers

Apple treats the people working in their stores about as well as Walmart treats its employees. No joke. They intentionally keep a lot of them working part time so they can't get health insurance.

And then there's the whole Foxconn thing, where they use people who are practically slaves to make their stuff.

Apple treats the people working in their stores about as well as Walmart treats its employees. No joke. They intentionally keep a lot of them working part time so they can't get health insurance.

And then there's the whole Foxconn thing, where they use people who are practically slaves to make their stuff.

They probably also have hidden life insurance policies on their employees as well. We all know the "Corporations" need to make a buck, even if it's off our deaths.

As an employee of one of these (not HP) I was saddened by this. I consider myself very well taken care of by my company.

Maybe it's because you're company was too cheap to pay for the survey?

Dunno what it costs, but from what I understand, companies have to apply and pay a fee to cover the cost of the actual survey. Lots of companies simply won't to that...so they will never get listed.

For all we know, GM might be the best place to work ever...but they won't apply for it.

They intentionally keep a lot of them working part time so they can't get health insurance.

Um...of course? Why would want to pay people who are basically the equivalent of best buy employees health insurance?

Wow i'm impressed schwietzer engineering labs made the list. They are just a small in engineering firm in my college town of pullman (Washington State University). I can see the lab out the front door of my apartment buidling. I knew they were doing good but I didnt know they were doing that good.

Isn't that...uhhh...all of those companies? I mean, you'd expect the exec-level, at least, to be pulling many times tha...

Classic [H], no editor in sight. Sad part is that there are probably a couple hundred guys around here who would do it for free! But despite often hilarious examples such as this, no editor needed, continues to be the mantra. Too bad, because they could be a serious site if they got a little help.
Ooops, strike my name of that next hardware draw. :eek:

Classic [H], no editor in sight. Sad part is that there are probably a couple hundred guys around here who would do it for free! But despite often hilarious examples such as this, no editor needed, continues to be the mantra. Too bad, because they could be a serious site if they got a little help.
Ooops, strike my name of that next hardware draw. :eek:

That's being a little harsh for just one word missing. An important word, sure, but let's be real, now - the NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, etc make mistakes of that kind all the time.

That's being a little harsh for just one word missing. An important word, sure, but let's be real, now - the NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, etc make mistakes of that kind all the time.

Yep, just this once. Only this one time. Never happens ALL THE TIME :eek:

Wow i'm impressed schwietzer engineering labs made the list. They are just a small in engineering firm in my college town of pullman (Washington State University). I can see the lab out the front door of my apartment buidling. I knew they were doing good but I didnt know they were doing that good.

I to was surprised by this. Its cool to see companies out of our area making the list though :).

Well, it's actually $118,000 for software engineers with a $13,800 bonus. I'm pretty sure Google at least matches that, and likely exceeds it. I'm surprised to see an average actually stated/published, though. That's usually the sort of thing they don't tell for all sorts of reasons (sure would suck to work at MS as a software engineer and be making less than that, wouldn't it? lol)

Well, it's actually $118,000 for software engineers with a $13,800 bonus. I'm pretty sure Google at least matches that, and likely exceeds it. I'm surprised to see an average actually stated/published, though. That's usually the sort of thing they don't tell for all sorts of reasons (sure would suck to work at MS as a software engineer and be making less than that, wouldn't it? lol)

Microsoft doesnt necessarily pay the highest but they are known for having great benefits and great job security. My girlfriend nannied for a family that had both parents working at microsoft in the seattle area last summer and should told me all kinds of stories about their exclusive fitness club and etc. Also I have been to the redmond campus several times and its obvious that mircosoft takes care of their employees. I am not saying other companies dont, but their are definitely other reasons microsoft has a high job retention rate other than salary.

I heard the whole msft health plans I think changed last year a bit. I'm certainly not expert at it (I'm not a msft employee), but my understanding was their health plans were toned down a bit and everyone got raises basically allowing employees to pay for the better coverage if they wanted it.

surprised to see that FedEx didnt make the list this year. Oh well..all the companies up there have pretty strong reputations.

They probably also have hidden life insurance policies on their employees as well. We all know the "Corporations" need to make a buck, even if it's off our deaths.

"Hidden" life insurance policies are a solid investment. In the event you lose an employee that's lost income from that employee's productivity while you hire and train a replacement. Those costs are non-trivial, so having a life insurance policy on the employee makes sense.

"Hidden" life insurance policies are a solid investment. In the event you lose an employee that's lost income from that employee's productivity while you hire and train a replacement. Those costs are non-trivial, so having a life insurance policy on the employee makes sense.

no, it doesn't, not when said company doesn't share a dime with the family.

Sorry, but that is a bullshit position and likely indicative that you profit from the aforementioned practice.

Back