GeForce GTX 680 To Launch In February?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the rumor mill, NVIDIA has decided to move up the launch of its GeForce GTX 680 to February, instead of the original end of March, early April launch date. Here is the translated quote:

Estimated to be able to come out in February, the original plan in March, it appears Huang do not want HD7900 28nm accounted for the scenery; performance and HD7970 similar listing can not say how much difference, depends on driver, bet we basically as two products for the same level. The current core clock 780MHz, memory 2GB.

I wonder if this will be a paper launch about a launch or the physical product being launched? After the [H] article showing the potential of the 7970, I bet nVidia has a pretty good black eye ... :D It's all good for the consumer if the consumer if the vid-card companies start battling for the #1 spot.

I wonder if this will be a paper launch about a launch or the physical product being launched? After the [H] article showing the potential of the 7970, I bet nVidia has a pretty good black eye ... :D It's all good for the consumer if the consumer if the vid-card companies start battling for the #1 spot.

Just stinks that the prices are going up instead of down, but thats what happens when you really only have 2 competitors in a market.

Competition is a good thing. If they can launch the GTX680 in as much quantity as AMD did for the 7970, it'll do nothing but benefit the users like us. Good for nVidia. :)

(And notice that I refrained from fanboi rhetoric like asking everyone to send woodscrews to them to facilitate their early launch)

I have not heard anything about February, but I have heard that March/April is now likely. Which is what we heard before the rumors of it possibly slipping to June. I think the 7970 release may have kicked them in the ass a bit.

Spaceman want new nvidia NOW!!!

Or approx around the time of my tax return thanks.

I want them to release something. Mainly because i'm going full water, and changing over cards like that is a bit more of a PITA, and would like to know whats availible from both sides first.

But also so the prices on everything will drop accordingly... We need a new GPU company. Whos got a few spare $100m?

What I've heard (ok, read) is that there's both a February launch date and a March/April date. Don't forget, Fermi doesn't necessarily mean it's just the GF100. Much like how Kepler isn't only the GK110...the early Kepler's apparently GK104.

I thoughtthose rumours said it would go 106, 104, 108, 110 or something? Not really sure how that would make much buisness sense...unless the 104 is equal to the 7970...:confused:

Then again the "top end" cards are probably less than 1% of the buisness, so it doesn't really matter as long as the more profitable medium end comes out.

Just stinks that the prices are going up instead of down, but thats what happens when you really only have 2 competitors in a market.

Nothing has changed in the last six years, aside from the fact that ATi/AMD have been able to finally get past that wall the 8800 had held up for three years.

Hooker from Sailor Wanna Hump-Hump Bar... said:
Estimated to be able to come out in February, the original plan in March, it appears Huang do not want HD7900 28nm accounted for the scenery; performance and HD7970 similar listing can not say how much difference, depends on driver, bet we basically as two products for the same level. The current core clock 780MHz, memory 2GB..

I get the idea of what they are trying to say but Jesus, did someone run that through Bablefish a couple times?

i wonder how much faster and it will have any thing new really worth having over a 580
if not ill just get a 2nd 580 used

I'm more worried about the price tag, on what will be a mid to entry level card by May-June.

And here I thought the new GPU would the be the 780, since I only ever saw it referred to as the 780 pretty much everywhere.

Anyhow, yes. More GPUs, lower prices. My 4890 is getting it done for now, but I want to step up to 1080p, and I want cheap powah :)

This sounds like something nvidia would say to quiet their AIB partners who are left high & dry at the moment.

Reminds me of the 480 scenario when XFX jumped ship...

Doubt its coming in Feb or anytime soon or else we would of seen something at CES

they have not fixed batman nvidia issues yet yet. but another card is coming right.:mad::mad:

2 GB RAM? Nvidia still doesn't get it. Why are they so anemic with RAM? Everyone is using HD monitors. BF3 confirms just how ridiculously high the VRAM usage can get. Now the wait will be on for the custom cards.

2 GB RAM? Nvidia still doesn't get it. Why are they so anemic with RAM? Everyone is using HD monitors. BF3 confirms just how ridiculously high the VRAM usage can get. Now the wait will be on for the custom cards.

2GB is overkill unless you have a multi-monitor setup.

Wait a second...

"2 GB of video memory on a 256-bit bus"

That sounds really anemic in terms of specs!

Many of Nvidia/AMD's target market for their higher end cards run multi monitor setups. Why produce a high end card with such an anaemic amount of memory and bus?

they have not fixed batman nvidia issues yet yet. but another card is coming right.:mad::mad:

What issues? I just started playing earlier this week on 580 1.5GB SLI with the latest patch (game is on Steam) and the latest beta driver (290.53) and it has been incredible. No problems...maxed out...

that would be great because I am still using a 285 gtx and fermi didn't quite convince me. it will be an interesting comparison with the 7970, can't wait.

This (and probably the last) generation were overkill unless you have a muli-monitor setup. Either get more monitors or wait until the next generation of consoles so that console ports have content for all those extra shaders.

Anyone saying these high end cards are overkill for single monitor obviously have never played on a single monitor with these high end cards.

When you can play with everything maxed and have minimum fps >60 all is "well" - not overkill. However, few "modern" games achieve that. Lucky for me the game I am currently playing (witcher 2) does keep a solid 60fps w/vsync unless I turn on uber sampling in which case it avgs ~25-35 fps. Frankly, I didn't notice any IQ difference with uber sampling turned on.

Since the 580 3GB cards came way later after launch. One would expect that the 780 3GB would be standard.

I want new Nvidia cards out just as much as anyone else... and I also hope they ARE faster then the competition... If only to push down the price of the 7970's, 7950's, and 7990's. Yes, I have a vested interested in getting cheap ATI cards.

i hope, but i just cant see it being released in february. probably a verbal announcement of sorts.

what will the 680 give me over my current 580 in terms of single monitor 1920 x 1200?...probably nothing more then some BF3 Ultra settings...wake me when DX12 hits

There is NO SUCH THING as overkill.

You don't think people with want tri-sli for multi-monitor gaming with nvidia's new flagship? :rolleyes:

Don't assume EVERYONE is using fucking HD monitors, though. A small class of enthuiast users does NOT account for the vast majority of gamers. MOST which have ONE monitor, and NOT a 28" or higher display, either!.
I *STILL* use 1024x768 on my CRT, and I could still kick your ass in any competitive FPS, since Framerate is *everything* in competition.

And before you talk trash, I have a 2233rz, but I don't use it. Why? Because my CRT is smoother, and I don't need as high a FPS on a CRT to have glass smooth gameplay.

60 hz at 60 fps on a CRT is STILL miles smoother than 120 hz/120 FPS on a 120hz LCD.

Don't assume EVERYONE is using fucking HD monitors, though. A small class of enthuiast users does NOT account for the vast majority of gamers. MOST which have ONE monitor, and NOT a 28" or higher display, either!.
I *STILL* use 1024x768 on my CRT, and I could still kick your ass in any competitive FPS, since Framerate is *everything* in competition.

And before you talk trash, I have a 2233rz, but I don't use it. Why? Because my CRT is smoother, and I don't need as high a FPS on a CRT to have glass smooth gameplay.

60 hz at 60 fps on a CRT is STILL miles smoother than 120 hz/120 FPS on a 120hz LCD.

Woooaaaahhh, watch out we have a badass over here stuck in 1998!

Seriously, I would love to have me some of that overkill because I've never experienced it! :D

Back