Raspberry Pi Off To Manufacturing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Congratulations is in order for the folks behind the Raspberry Pi. The company has finally started manufacturing the tiny $25 computers, with the first units rolling off the line by the end of the month. There are two models available, the A and B. The main difference is that the B model has more memory and an Ethernet port.

This means that the first units from the first batch will be rolling off the line at the end of January. This first batch will consist only of Model Bs, although you will be able to buy Model As later on. Details about whether we’ll wait for all 10k to come off the line before starting sales, and about what date we’ll be starting on, will come later; so that gives you something else for you to shift around nervously on your chairs about for at least another week or so.

Awesome, as soon as they are released, it will be time to go get a few of them.

Just remember, Model B is the only one with 10/100 Ethernet built-in.

I gonna buy 4 of these, for no reason at all. Cause they're so damn cheap, and I'm sure I'll have a use for them.

They are only making the model B and only one per household with this first batch. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

cool idea, but without a case at all, not enough power to play video content. I really do not see much use for this other than maybe a fun NES emulator.

cool idea, but without a case at all, not enough power to play video content. I really do not see much use for this other than maybe a fun NES emulator.

Per the Rasberry PI FAQ:

The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.

Sounds like it can do video pretty well. With a XBMC port in the works, I would say it should be reasonably capable of quality playback.

Fuck.

Yes.

Though I'll have to say, my Dockstar is still running strong. I'll probably be picking one up eventually in support for this project though I already have my needs satisfied.

Tiny Linux Servers are fucking great. No need for a power hungry old box to do something a <5Watt system can do.

They are only making the model B and only one per household with this first batch. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Rats, I was hoping for a buy one get one deal on the first batch. Oh well.

Definitely plan on getting one of these to play with. At the super cheap price it is at why not?

I’d like to draw attention to one cost in particular that really created problems for us in Britain. Simply put, if we build the Raspberry Pi in Britain, we have to pay a lot more tax. If a British company imports components, it has to pay tax on those (and most components are not made in the UK). If, however, a completed device is made abroad and imported into the UK – with all of those components soldered onto it – it does not attract any import duty at all. This means that it’s really, really tax inefficient for an electronics company to do its manufacturing in Britain, and it’s one of the reasons that so much of our manufacturing goes overseas. Right now, the way things stand means that a company doing its manufacturing abroad, depriving the UK economy, gets a tax break. It’s an absolutely mad way for the Inland Revenue to be running things, and it’s an issue we’ve taken up with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

That's just downright silly.

But glad these are being made.

do they have a preorder option?

I remember the video with the guy running quake on a wall cube...tooooo cool

If it really ends up being only $25, I'll be in for one just to tinker with.

do they have a preorder option?

I remember the video with the guy running quake on a wall cube...tooooo cool

no pre order, ever!

its a free for all, and yes everyone has suggested otherwise, so suck it up :p

i've been following these for ages now, can't freaking wait!

If it really ends up being only $25, I'll be in for one just to tinker with.

$25 for model A, $35 for model B. This is just the barebones however, you still need at least a SD card (I believe they may have an option buy one with the unit that has a pre-installed distro on it).

I couldnt find anything on the FAQ, but does this only take the basic SD cards or does it support SDHC or SDXC cards? Probably only SD, but I can dream.

Would love to see Windows 8 on this thing.

i'm starting to think this is one of the reason's Microsoft is seeing fit to put ARM support in the next version of windows...

this thing basically has all the hardware of a smart phone/tablet

and other devices like it are going to start proliferating...

it'll definitely be in thier best interests to start supporting ARM...

same can be said for device manufacturers and drivers.... we're going to need more ARM drivers, that's for sure...

I couldnt find anything on the FAQ, but does this only take the basic SD cards or does it support SDHC or SDXC cards? Probably only SD, but I can dream.

It takes SDHC cards but apparently there is some issue with Linux and Class 10 cards. However Class 6 and under work. The thing I have been curious about is whether or not it plays nice with UHS.

i'm starting to think this is one of the reason's Microsoft is seeing fit to put ARM support in the next version of windows...

this thing basically has all the hardware of a smart phone/tablet

and other devices like it are going to start proliferating...

it'll definitely be in thier best interests to start supporting ARM...

same can be said for device manufacturers and drivers.... we're going to need more ARM drivers, that's for sure...

Porting Windows to ARM had to be done and indeed means it can run on anything. I would love to see Microsoft support getting Windows 8 ARM on open devices like this since these will no doubt be prominent in embedded devises.

Porting Windows to ARM had to be done and indeed means it can run on anything. I would love to see Microsoft support getting Windows 8 ARM on open devices like this since these will no doubt be prominent in embedded devises.

more than likely this thing won't have enough memory :(

yes, HC cards are supported... i read somewhere up to 32GB on the alpha boards... i'd expect the same or more on these finals...

the class 6 /10 thing is new to me though... very interesting...

more than likely this thing won't have enough memory :(

yes, HC cards are supported... i read somewhere up to 32GB on the alpha boards... i'd expect the same or more on these finals...

the class 6 /10 thing is new to me though... very interesting...

Yeah if you read the forums they mention it a fair bit, it seems like one of those issues where some Class 10's work but most don't. Probably just best to wait until after a few of the front runners have tried it all out before shelling out more cash for the faster cards.

Whatever use you find for it will be fun and cheap entertainment. I plan on picking up several just to play with to see what can be done with them. It will probably be the best money I ever spent on computer equipment. :cool:

I'm planning getting on a couple myself...
I'm going to try to build a small emulation device like a gameboy, might be using medafen for main the emulator. I plan on writing a front end for it once I get it up and running.

might try to build a tablet computer , and i'm planning on a media play for my tv. robots would be also another great use for this board, with the GPIO headers connected to some micro controllers.

these are going to be fun.... :D

so does both version runs at 1080p or 720p? or is it just version B that's 1080p. Hack i would get one myself, it'll save me loads on electrical bill for watching all those movies and 90s toons.

so does both version runs at 1080p or 720p? or is it just version B that's 1080p. Hack i would get one myself, it'll save me loads on electrical bill for watching all those movies and 90s toons.

The only difference between the A and B models is that the B models have twice the ram (256MB versus 128MB) and Ethernet built in.

Just to clear two things up.

You can't run Windows 8 on this. Windows 8 supports ARM processors, just not the version they used for the Raspberry Pi.

You can't pre-order, they won't change their stance so don't bother asking. The only way to get hold of one before general release is to buy one of the beta boards on eBay. There is only 10 of them and the prices are $1000+.

Personally I love the project and I've been watching it since alpha stage. Its a shame the first batch is going to be low (10000 or there abouts) as I'd love to get a few just for testing and projects.

It takes SDHC cards but apparently there is some issue with Linux and Class 10 cards. However Class 6 and under work. The thing I have been curious about is whether or not it plays nice with UHS.

Thank you kind sir.

I'm going to wait for a Gig-E version to build a home made router in a tiny wall mounted box.

Back