Mozilla Delivering Firefox Extended Support Release

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tired of Firefox updates every few weeks? Well then, Firefox Extended Support Release should be just what you are looking for. Mozilla says that, other than regular security updates, the ESR will only be updated once a year.

We are pleased to announce that the proposal for an Extended Support Release (ESR) of Firefox is now a plan of action. The ESR version of Firefox is for use by enterprises, public institutions, universities and other organizations that centrally manage their Firefox deployments. Releases of the ESR will occur once a year, providing these organizations with a version of Firefox that receives security updates but does not make changes to the Web or Firefox Add-ons platform.

Finally, a real release that isn't a beta. I'll change my machines' 3.6 for the ESR as soon as all my addons are verified working.

These nightly build releases are less stable, and often need an immediate .01 update to fix some error not caught during their shortened testing.

I don't care if the releases are every day or once a year, what affects me the most is having different versions, period. Now I will have to code for the fools that get this new Firefox version because it will be legacy in 6 weeks time. The web is already moving backwards enough and now users are going to be handicapping themselves. The only real browser that I can actively use besides Opera and now its going extinct trying to please to many people at once.

I don't care if there are 3 releases per day as well, I just want the releases to be stable,lol, and verified hassle free for end users

So, they are trying to say that IT admins are too lazy? Is that really their excuse? Maybe they started to see a significant number of users still on 3.6.20, 21, 22, ....25 and finally got a clue.

I don't want to work on a browser everyday, I don't want to spend all my free time updating my apps, or finding replacements for those to don't keep up. The browser is a tool to get things done. The more you work on the tool, the less you get done of what you opened the browser for in the first place.

And I wish they'd quit obfuscating the details, Updates are not the same as Upgrades!!

I've gone from firefox 7-12 and all apps/add-ons are compatible if you force firefox to ignore the version and use the add-on anyway. So I don't see what the fuss is about. One extra line in settings will do it.

This whole FireFox mess is almost as screwed up as AMD's video driver release scheme.

I've gone from firefox 7-12 and all apps/add-ons are compatible if you force firefox to ignore the version and use the add-on anyway. So I don't see what the fuss is about. One extra line in settings will do it.

Agreed. The persistent chicken little shit by people who have problems always gives me a hearty chuckle :p

I've rotated between beta and nightly builds with no issues. Both FF and Chrome crash with the same frequency b/c of Adobe, but I'm not about to naively blame the browser for an Adobe problem.

I was using Firefox for years until it started crashed several times a day. I switched to Chrome now and has been working fine. Originally I tried Chrome when it came out but I didn't think it lived up to its goals (that is I had 1 tab crash and bring em all down and other such things). Now I'm thinking they may have had a chance to get most of it worked out and so far it seems to be doing great. It is also noticeably faster.

I've been on the Nightly channel for years and it's been a long time time since I've experienced any bugs that were beyond a mere inconvenience.

I personally thought the updates to FireFox were great, considering this was the best method to avoid exploits found in it. Best way to stay safe. It's not like the updates were that intrusive or painful. The update is automatic, and takes less then a minute. It's not like Windows Update, which can randomly start downloading and installing updates whenever it wants, or Apple software where it randomly and often pops up telling me to update software. It usually downloads the update when you're using it, and applies it quickly when you next start FF.

I don't care if the releases are every day or once a year, what affects me the most is having different versions, period. Now I will have to code for the fools that get this new Firefox version because it will be legacy in 6 weeks time. The web is already moving backwards enough and now users are going to be handicapping themselves. The only real browser that I can actively use besides Opera and now its going extinct trying to please to many people at once.

This isn't really a change; 3.6 is their current ESR version. They're just finally dropping support for 3.6 for a more current version, which will get upgraded to the latest Firefox version every year. So it seems like they're pleasing the same group of people they've already been.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

If they really wanted to make it easier for enterprise admins, they'd give us MSI files and GPO settings already. :mad:

adding an extra line, yes. That's what I am talking about. It requires that the user work on their TOOL, which is not the tool I want to be working on online. It isn't that I can't do that, I just refuse to. That's the developers' job.

I leave the browser open for days, sometimes weeks. Updates risk crashing all of that. Addons have gotten better about keeping up with FF updates, and FF checks beforehand to let you know what does not. Most of the time.

I've used Nightly builds as well, and they work fine for the most part. But when it comes to a stable platform anything that changes regularly is the antithesis of stability.

Updates are not upgrades!!! (although, upgrades can be updates just like a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not necessarily a square) Firefox had a security problem with slow updates, upgrades do not help in that regard. They say that fixes are in the upgrades, and that may be true, but fixes do not need upgrades to introduce more new yet-to-be-discovered problems. Mozilla should have just improved the update process and not forced upgrades on me.

Yea, I don't follow the Jones's, I lead my own life.

Back