Ice Cream Sandwich Tablets for Just $179?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
CES is bringing out a host of new innovative products and in some cases, familiar products at lower pricing structures. Case in point is the 7” and 10” tablets from Leader International. The tablets will be sporting Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS and sell for $179 and $299 respectively, both substantially cheaper than the closest competitor in the budget end of the market.

The 7A is spec'd like a lot of cheap tablets, but it doesn't sound too bad. The 10A on the other hand sounds pretty good for it's price. As long as they're well built they could be pretty good little tablets.

I hope ICS is an LTS OS. I feel like I adopted an Android phone far sooner than Google was willing to support installed the OS. Too many things broke between updates and new phone releases.

I hope ICS is an LTS OS. I feel like I adopted an Android phone far sooner than Google was willing to support installed the OS. Too many things broke between updates and new phone releases.

The version of Android that comes with the device doesn't concern me. Mostly because there's always going to be a custom rom for that device running ICS. Know the power of custom roms.

Nice to see the prices coming down. Though I will admit to having lost a great deal of interest in Android of late. Ever more powerful tablets running a phone OS do not appeal to me as much as it did during "wow, that's cool" phase I went through with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 I was given.
I will prolly become a lot more interested in tablets again when Win7 and 8 tablets become more common. Running the same apps on your tablet, as you do your PC/laptop, will definitely appeal to me.

Nice to see the prices coming down. Though I will admit to having lost a great deal of interest in Android of late. Ever more powerful tablets running a phone OS do not appeal to me as much as it did during "wow, that's cool" phase I went through with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 I was given.
I will prolly become a lot more interested in tablets again when Win7 and 8 tablets become more common. Running the same apps on your tablet, as you do your PC/laptop, will definitely appeal to me.

Win7 will never be on traditional tablets. Win7 can't run on ARM CPUs which is what tablets use. It is already being used on Slates, but those really aren't tablets.

FTFA: So what do you get for your not-very-much-money? The 7A has a 1024-by-600 screen and a 1Ghz, single-core Cortex-A8 processor, Wi-Fi, 4GB of memory with a memory card slot, VGA front camera, mic, and Bluetooth. That's not too shabby for such a low price point, providing the tablet is decently built.

I really wish they'd stop omitting the most crucial spec of all: RAM... and stop using storage as an interchangeable figure with "installed memory"... While both RAM and Flash are types of memory, their uses are NOT interchangeable.

I saw Tiger Direct advertising a tablet with "768MB of Memory"... Reality? 256MB Ram, 512MB Storage. Total.

Win7 will never be on traditional tablets. Win7 can't run on ARM CPUs which is what tablets use. It is already being used on Slates, but those really aren't tablets.

Not sure their really is any such thing as a traditional tablet. The things have not really been out long enough to have a tradition imo.
The Fujitsu Stylistic q550 is around the same physical size as my 10.1, (a bit thicker), and costs less than an ipad and uses an Atom running Win7. The Samsung 7 series is quite expensive, but is still of a similar size and weight to the q550 and is running Win7 on an I5. Then their is the MSI Wind pad also running Win7 using a Z series AMD which is priced below the ipad and is also similar in size to the other big tablets in the 9"-12" category.

Win 8 being run on Arm will greatly increase the options one will have when it comes to tablets, but the current x86 tablets running Win7 are not half bad, and the future models are only going to get better. We will see a few more running Win7 b4 it is over I am sure.

Not sure their really is any such thing as a traditional tablet. The things have not really been out long enough to have a tradition imo.
The Fujitsu Stylistic q550 is around the same physical size as my 10.1, (a bit thicker), and costs less than an ipad and uses an Atom running Win7. The Samsung 7 series is quite expensive, but is still of a similar size and weight to the q550 and is running Win7 on an I5. Then their is the MSI Wind pad also running Win7 using a Z series AMD which is priced below the ipad and is also similar in size to the other big tablets in the 9"-12" category.

Win 8 being run on Arm will greatly increase the options one will have when it comes to tablets, but the current x86 tablets running Win7 are not half bad, and the future models are only going to get better. We will see a few more running Win7 b4 it is over I am sure.

Tablets have been around for decades, most people just haven't heard about them until the iPad came out. On of my first good jobs involved using tablets running Windows for Pen Computing back in 1992. Much thicker and heavier than ARM devices of today but still the same form factor as any Android tablet of the iPad.

Tablets used x86 CPUs before ARM devices though ARM devices are better suited because of their battery life and thermal characteristics. But even Windows 7 devices run on devices that aren't much heavier and even thinner than some Android devices. Though my S7S is twice as heavy as a Kindle Fire (it does have an 11.6" screen though) it's actually thinner.

Tablets have been around for decades, most people just haven't heard about them until the iPad came out. On of my first good jobs involved using tablets running Windows for Pen Computing back in 1992. Much thicker and heavier than ARM devices of today but still the same form factor as any Android tablet of the iPad.

It seems I was forgetting about the pre ipad era tablets when I made my statement. :eek:

http://chinagrabber.com/search.aspx?find=novo7+elf

$158.99 for 7" with 1gb ram, 1.5ghz proc, ICS, and ips screen at 1024x600

basically a novo 7 advanced with a better screen and more ram

Meanwhile most china tablets suck, there are a few good ones out there. I follow this guy on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTasselhof?feature=g-all-c - he reviews a lot of the better ones, some of these china tablets are more impressive in function and price than most consumer grade ones.

Back