Netflix Streamed Two Billion Hours of Video In Q4

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix sent out a press release today stating that, in the fourth quarter of 2011, the company streamed more than two billion hours of TV shows and movies. :eek:

"We were thrilled to deliver more than two billion hours of TV shows and movies across 45 countries in the fourth quarter," said Netflix Co-Founder and CEO Reed Hastings. "Netflix delights members by giving them choice, convenience and control over the entertainment they love for an incredibly low price."

And ISP's are frothing at the mouth in Q1 2012 reports promoting "usage based" pricing.

The only problem with netflix are the studios. They badly need better streaming selection before I will go back. I really don't see why it's not more embraced by the studios. They have to realize that by holding back companies like Netflix they're only hurting themselves in the long run. Streaming being the standard for media distribution is inevitable one way or another.

The only problem with netflix are the studios. They badly need better streaming selection before I will go back. I really don't see why it's not more embraced by the studios. They have to realize that by holding back companies like Netflix they're only hurting themselves in the long run. Streaming being the standard for media distribution is inevitable one way or another.

Every car on the road today could be getting AT MINIMUM 30mph, you don't see them jumping on that bandwagon overnight do you ?

Guessing you meant MPG, and if so your analogy is completely irrelevant. I don't claim to know why they do, however HBO has stated that in order for them to jump on they'd have to make at least $19.99 a month alone in profits per customer.

thats a lot of shitty B movies and old boring TV shows/series

Guessing you meant MPG, and if so your analogy is completely irrelevant. I don't claim to know why they do, however HBO has stated that in order for them to jump on they'd have to make at least $19.99 a month alone in profits per customer.

That's absurd, how the hell do they need to make $20 a customer? They only charge $8 a month when you subscribe through a cable/satellite provider. These people need to get out of the stone age.

And how many of those hours were error/interruption free I wonder?

Depends on what they are using. If using some type of streaming device (roku, game system....) then unless you have connections issues it should be most of it. I haven't ever seen issues with the quality of streaming through devices. I do know that through the web browser there was some issues a few months back with stuff in HD as we got a lot of calls at my work about it. I haven't seen that happen in some time though. I had a slow month and only streamed about 100 hours last month but all of that was error / interruption free from every source I streamed from. Just like that 200 hours the month before.

Its not really irrelevant. He is pointing out that by now we could have cars that all get well over 30 MPG however car makers and the rest aren't bending over backwards to make things better for the consumer, they are looking at how to get as much money as possible. Same here, the studios aren't going to bend over backwards to give us content at a reasonable price, instead like you pointed out they are going to rape us on cost. some day all cars will get 30 MPG or more, just like some day we will get access to content for a low cost. Neither will happen that quickly though as somebody in the background will keep things dragging out as much as possible.

Too bad our ISPs are getting in on this by implementing usage based bandwidth caps. In addition, the studios are demanding more and more money from NetFlix and similar services to host their content. I find it frustrating how quickly Netflix keeps losing and gaining content, I hate feeling pressured to watch a movie or TV show before its removed due to licensing agreements and not knowing if it will ever come back or not. :mad:

And the cable companies said "That should have been ours. Time to raise prices or throttle bandwidth again!"

Back