Yahoo Names PayPal Exec As Its CEO

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our condolences go out to Scott Thompson today. The former PayPal executive has been named CEO of Yahoo...signaling the end of a once promising career. ;)

Yahoo, which announced its choice Wednesday, has been without a permanent CEO since early September. It fired Carol Bartz after losing patience with her attempts to turn around the company during her 2 1/2 years on the job. Tim Morse, Yahoo's chief financial officer, has been interim CEO since Bartz's ouster. Thompson has served as president of PayPal, eBay's online payment service, since January 2008. He previously served as PayPal's senior vice president and chief technology officer.

Ok.... So Yahoo will change from a company no one needs, to a company no one needs but now also hates.

Thumbs Up !!!

Sigh...I still like Yahoo News. I've just grown to hate everything else on the site.
The people in charge of their news and sports sections still do a solid job.

Sigh...I still like Yahoo News. I've just grown to hate everything else on the site.
The people in charge of their news and sports sections still do a solid job.

I am a developer at Yahoo for News. Glad that someone is happy! ;)

being paypal president is nothing compared to trying to revive yahoo.

for paypal, all you needed to do was to charge 30 cents + 2.9%, and sit back and watch the cash roll in.

I am a developer at Yahoo for News. Glad that someone is happy! ;)

I still think the main issue with Yahoo is how irrelevant the search engine has become. It's no longer as much of a home base for people because the search has been horrible for the last few years. I'd imagine all of those ads and often-times good services would be a lot more appealing if I weren't just going to scan the news and e-mail followed by using Google to take me somewhere else.
If only Google bought Yahoo we'd actually see some utility brought back to Yahoo and some visual appeal brought to Google's non-search services.

I still use Yahoo as my e-mail and read their news every day. I love Yahoo, man. Gmail is okay but personally, I prefer Yahoo for my e-mail over anything else.

But that's all I use it for, email and front page news when I'm bored and want to read some articles. Other that it's useless to me. And that "OMG!" news crap... I hate that shit.

Does this mean that whenever I log into my Yahoo mail or perform a web search, I'll need to enter my PayPal info to cover the useage and access fees? :p

Does this mean that whenever I log into my Yahoo mail or perform a web search, I'll need to enter my PayPal info to cover the useage and access fees? :p

No, but if they mess up your account it will take 6 months of "we can't do that" responses for them to finally admit a problem and credit you.

Meh. Yahoo has their users but for me their spam filtering was very poor, it is better now but still not good enough. Good see the their web mail has sped up though.

Back