Hackers Said to be Planning to Launch Own Satellites

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In an effort to combat the creeping censorship movement, Hackers are planning to put their own communication satellite in low Earth orbit and build ground based stations to maintain contact. The Hackers are working alongside Constellation, a German aerospace research company.

According to BBC News, the satellite plan was recently outlined at the Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin. It's being called the "Hackerspace Global Grid."

Don't they cost gazzilions each? Unless it's a network of rocks!

Wait think about this!

Ok hundreds of rocks floating in space.
Hits the first satelite!
Cascade effect!
Global blackout!
Hack the planet!
:eek:

lol, that satellite will have an "accident" or be so poorly engineered it won't need one.

What does it cost to put one in orbit, at least $25 million? glwt

lol - like a bunch of hackers have the money to do it.

If Christina DesMarais is a paid journalist, she needs to be fired. The idea of "hackers" launching and maintaining a satellite is fucking absurd. A little difficult to stay anonymous when you're beaming control signals into space from ground antennas, hmm?

I have an idea for the next article: pedophiles plan to open zoo for children.

If the hackers are that good, why not just hack into another and take control of it?

terrorists, silly

Yeah but if they enclose the world in a network of metal objects going 22000mph that could at any time crash to the planet and slice off peoples heads...and they get bad quality photos put on fox...aren't they by very definition terrorists :eek:

lol, that satellite will have an "accident" or be so poorly engineered it won't need one.

I think it's in the billions actually

I think it's in the billions actually

SpaceX will put your junk in orbit for $55m, not including your payload, which would probably need some sort of motor in addition to the comsat.

It only costs billions when the feds or Boeing any of the "old space" guys do it.

Plus: satellite internet: sucks ass.
Plus++: Yeah. I'll use haxors sat net just so they can have an easier time stealing my CC data "for the lulz."

yeah, steve wozniak is poor!

Wrong kind of hacker, I think. At least the kinds most folks think of nowadays.

But hey, eveyrone can just use freenet. LOL. Freenet. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness you're looking at about $75m to do it minimum. $55m launch, plus maybe $5-20m for the sat. Maybe. Then there are ongoing costs and the need to connect to something. A network with nowhere to go except other pervs, hackers poseurs (for freedoms, of course) is really kinda pointless. See: Freenet.

Then you need ground stations to manage it. If you go with some sort of LEO polar orbit constellation then you need more sats and more launches and more money and of course ground facilities to manage it. And the ground is the weak point, where The Man can disconnect it from the Internet. So you give everyone independent sat TX/RX ability. Yay, private net with nowhere to go or easily located bridges. Plus: The Man can now find you based on that antenna on your house/van down by the river.

So: not gonna happen.

Wrong kind of hacker, I think. At least the kinds most folks think of nowadays.

But hey, eveyrone can just use freenet. LOL. Freenet. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness you're looking at about $75m to do it minimum. $55m launch, plus maybe $5-20m for the sat. Maybe. Then there are ongoing costs and the need to connect to something. A network with nowhere to go except other pervs, hackers poseurs (for freedoms, of course) is really kinda pointless. See: Freenet.

Then you need ground stations to manage it. If you go with some sort of LEO polar orbit constellation then you need more sats and more launches and more money and of course ground facilities to manage it. And the ground is the weak point, where The Man can disconnect it from the Internet. So you give everyone independent sat TX/RX ability. Yay, private net with nowhere to go or easily located bridges. Plus: The Man can now find you based on that antenna on your house/van down by the river.

So: not gonna happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSCAR

what were you saying?

Low earth orbit is worthless unless you have a network of satellites. A decent Geostationary will run about .25 billion USD for total cost (including launch) from Space Systems Loral. You can get them a little cheaper, but if you want a decent payload you need to spend the $$$$.

SpaceX will put your junk in orbit for $55m, not including your payload, which would probably need some sort of motor in addition to the comsat.

It only costs billions when the feds or Boeing any of the "old space" guys do it.

Plus: satellite internet: sucks ass.
Plus++: Yeah. I'll use haxors sat net just so they can have an easier time stealing my CC data "for the lulz."

Does not cost billions for even the 'old space' guys to do it.

And sat internet is about to see some changes. You're right...the latency will be high, but we are getting well in the 150+ Gps comm. sats. Just check out the new Viasat from ssl.

More like 40K for a microsat, if you can hitch a ride on a Russian or Chinese rocket.

Don't they cost gazzilions each? Unless it's a network of rocks!

Wait think about this!

Ok hundreds of rocks floating in space.
Hits the first satelite!
Cascade effect!
Global blackout!
Hack the planet!
:eek:

I loled :p

Didn't the Pirate Bay try to do something equally out there by trying to buy an oil rig that was "It's own country" ??

Depending on the type of satalite, it only costs about 10K to make one these days. The majority of the cost will be sending it into space.

The idea of a private free-speech satellite is interesting. But, saying "hackers" are behind it makes it look silly.

It's not too expensive to be done, but it seems premature. The hackers should stick to improving something like Freenet (which, after being in development for more than a decade is still not ready for prime time.)

That's pretty cool. I hope this works out for them. Really, we almost need a whole new internet. Something underground, and out of the government's control. Same technologies as the current internet, but just a whole separate network. Guess the problem is, at one point or the other the government will just take control anyway... can't win.

Just wait until SpaceX does it at least once before you say how much it costs.

how about we hack the CURRENT satellites up there already.

uhhh.. has anyone thought about that yet?

That's pretty cool. I hope this works out for them. Really, we almost need a whole new internet. Something underground, and out of the government's control. Same technologies as the current internet, but just a whole separate network. Guess the problem is, at one point or the other the government will just take control anyway... can't win.

Much easier to have a 'whole new internet' by just using point to point hardware encryption using the exsisting infastructure. Governments allready do this for classified networks. Of course, trusting a 'hacker' with keying material and a hardware crypto means it wouldn't stay secure long.

That is odd, Warner Brothers, Viacom, and Sony have just announced plans to build loe missiles for "defense" purposes.

Just wait until SpaceX does it at least once before you say how much it costs.

SpaceX has already delivered payloads into LEO. How did you think they were able to raise money for all of their test flights? They have customers as well as investors.

In an effort to combat the creeping censorship movement, Hackers are planning to put their own communication satellite in low Earth orbit and build ground based stations to maintain contact. The Hackers are working alongside Constellation, a German aerospace research company.

Why not hack the International Space Station if these guys are
"so good"?

Back