Tech's Biggest Misfires of 2011

HardOCP News

[H] News
As far as end of the year lists go, this Tech's Biggest Misfires of 2011 is pretty spot on.

The past 12 months have been a boon of technological innovation, particularly in the world of mobile devices, where top companies have been waging an arms race for the top of the smartphone and tablet hills. Not everything has been smooth sailing, however -- 2011 has also been dotted by delays, false starts, security breeches and straight up technological turf outs. Check out some of the lowlights from the year that was after the break.

I disagree steve, what about the bulldozer? that seems like a misfire to me... a big one enough to make the list replacing the "HTC Thunderbolt"... also IdSoftware's RAGE should be on the list too

I disagree steve, what about the bulldozer? that seems like a misfire to me... a big one enough to make the list replacing the "HTC Thunderbolt"... also IdSoftware's RAGE should be on the list too

That's why we have the comments section...so we can make the list longer by adding our own picks to the list ;)

That's why we have the comments section...so we can make the list longer by adding our own picks to the list ;)
may i ask, what's your honest opinion about the AMD Bulldozer? just curious

the Flip camera came as a surprise to me because my kids each have one and they're fantastic camcorders, not to mention super easy to use. Cisco is a jackass for buying them out only to shut it down.

iPhone 5 a misfire? More like sensationalist over hyping journalism who won't shut the hell up and always report opinions instead of facts.

the Flip camera came as a surprise to me because my kids each have one and they're fantastic camcorders, not to mention super easy to use. Cisco is a jackass for buying them out only to shut it down.
I agree. Both of my kids have had one at one time or another. My boy liked his so much a few years ago that we got my daughter one this year, she loves it.
Was such a great little video camera for the little ones, my daughter is 7.

One thing lacks in that lidt:

3D tv/gaming.

It sucks, and have sucked the last 20 years of hype. I can't wait for it to die so I don't have to hear any more about it. "3D this 3D that!" IT SUCKS.Get over it.

this

One thing lacks in that lidt:

3D tv/gaming.

It sucks, and have sucked the last 20 years of hype. I can't wait for it to die so I don't have to hear any more about it. "3D this 3D that!" IT SUCKS.Get over it.

this

I really hate this bullshit mentality of "I don't like something and it should go away so I don't have to see something I don't like".

I really hate this bullshit mentality of "I don't like something and it should go away so I don't have to see something I don't like".

He's in the majority, though. Most people aren't sold on 3D at home, whether in the form of TV movies nor video gaming. It still isn't natural and the fact that you need glasses is a severe hindrance. It's a niche market, and until there are bigger strides in making it passive and more accurate, it'll stay that way.

He's in the majority, though. Most people aren't sold on 3D at home, whether in the form of TV movies nor video gaming. It still isn't natural and the fact that you need glasses is a severe hindrance. It's a niche market, and until there are bigger strides in making it passive and more accurate, it'll stay that way.

Oh I'm not saying it's perfect or everyone should like it, but 3D has made some very big strides in the last couple years and it only looks to be continuing. I'm hoping CES this year brings us some big innovations in glasses-free 3D. Last year they showed some neat, but heavily limited technology.

Duke Nukem may have been the biggest POS to hit the market since Dai Katana, but people still bought the bloody game, would have thought Brink would have got the title of POS 2011, in the game category, tried to be Team Fortess 2.

Duke Nukem may have been the biggest POS to hit the market since Dai Katana, but people still bought the bloody game, would have thought Brink would have got the title of POS 2011, in the game category, tried to be Team Fortess 2.

DNF was bad, but it was far from the worst game this year. DNF at least pretends to try, can't say the same about Front Mission Evolved and the Force Unleashed 2 was so bad it effectively killed my interest in the entire Star Wars franchise.

3D is a fad that makes a resurgence once every decade, hangs around a couple years and then fades away.

3D is a fad that makes a resurgence once every decade, hangs around a couple years and then fades away.

Never before has 3D had so much money and development put behind it and never before has it actually worked. 3D has always been limited by technology, now 3D seems to be pushing technology forward. How fucking good 3D Vision works is proof enough that is deserves to stick around this time.

Back