Intel Begins Shipping New Intel Atom Processors

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation today announced the availability of the latest mobile Intel Atom processor-based platform, formerly codenamed “Cedar Trail.” Designed to provide small, compact, on-the-go computing with great battery life at an affordable price, the latest platform adds several new features to netbook computers made popular by students, families, and those looking for light productivity and Internet browsing. These devices will be available in early 2012 from major OEMs including: Acer*, Asus*, HP*, Lenovo*, Samsung*, and Toshiba*.

The new design’s dedicated media engine enables full 1080p high-definition playback of videos and Blu-Ray content and includes additional digital display and output options including HDMI and DisplayPort. The integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600/3650 combined with the integrated memory controller provides enhanced performance and system responsiveness, including an improvement in graphics performance up to 2X compared to the previous generation platform.

I was pretty upset when my Atom D525 Lenovo couldn't stream 720/1080p video like it was advertised. I purchased it to watch Starcraft 2 streams off Twitch.tv on the 42", but it fails at that. I'm sure these next ones would be able to handle it, but I'm cautious now.

The Ion2 runs flash at 30-60% GPU usage, but the CPU is underpowered, being pegged at 25% (dual core, hyperthreaded)

I'm surprised they still are developing these, seems like netbooks are on the decline as cheaper and cheaper(yet still fast) computers are appearing. That plus that fact my Samsung Charge does everything and more I want it to for just daily browsing and reading.

I'm honestly amazed these things are still being developed as well.

I had a Zotac ZBox with Ion2 and Atom 1.66ghz Dual Core.

It could play certain 1080p stuff no problem.. i.e. Blu Ray Native files.

But it would stutter on certain 720p stuff, using x264 encoding.

With proper support for 1080p video and dual core, they might finally be a good choice for a low power HTPC. Power should be less than the i3 I'm currently using.

I'm surprised they still are developing these, seems like netbooks are on the decline as cheaper and cheaper(yet still fast) computers are appearing. That plus that fact my Samsung Charge does everything and more I want it to for just daily browsing and reading.

I am surprised too considering my new HP Folio 13 ultrabook runs Core i5-2467M, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD for over 9 hours on full charge. Who needs the Atom anymore?

I am surprised too considering my new HP Folio 13 ultrabook runs Core i5-2467M, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD for over 9 hours on full charge. Who needs the Atom anymore?

Developing markets, specific low power industrial applications, anyone who doesn't want to spend $900 on an HP Folio 13 ;)

That is of course, unless Intel decides to start selling SB CPUs in the ~5 watt TDP range for less then $50.

The Atom and Fusion C/E series have brought x86 computing to power envelopes and prices that cannot be beat. Their performance also likely meets the needs of 90% of consumers.

They're not going away any time soon.

Developing markets, specific low power industrial applications, anyone who doesn't want to spend $900 on an HP Folio 13 ;)

You'd think *SOME* boneheads on this forum would finally understand that it's not strictly about performance but overall cost and form factor are also part of the equation. Moreso than performance itself.

People who go "Wah wah, Atom sux, i5 for lief!" are about as in touch with the consumer computer market as my dead grandparents are with computers in general.

You'd think *SOME* boneheads on this forum would finally understand that it's not strictly about performance but overall cost and form factor are also part of the equation. Moreso than performance itself.

People who go "Wah wah, Atom sux, i5 for lief!" are about as in touch with the consumer computer market as my dead grandparents are with computers in general.

Hey be nice. I wasn't talking about cost but rather efficiency. Core i3 and i5 has made enormous stride with power efficiency that it almost makes the Atom pointless. That's what I was getting at.

The rise of the ultrabook will eventually push cost down. Remember when thin laptops cost $2500? My Elitebook 2530p and 2540p were $1600 apiece. My new Folio 13 blow them both out of the water and cost half.

Try and keep an open mind without the name-calling, shall we? As you pointed out, this is a tech forum, not a political forum. If you disagree, fine. Tell us why.

Back