Saints Row: The Third Graphics Issues On PC?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently there is a rather large group of people having problems with the PC version Saints Row: The Third. The issue seems to be related to overclocked CPUs / GPUs so that means a lot of you guys might be affected but, the odd thing is, I haven't heard of any problems. If you are having issues, hit the comments link below and let us know.

The performance problems appear to be spread across AMD and Nvidia hardware. Volition is soliciting users for their configurations and dxdiag files (don't ask!), and is working with with the GPU manufacturers on possible solutions. Having perused some of the message board threads in question, a more common configuration aspect for those affected is an overclocked CPU or GPU.

For the record, I've run the game on:

i7-920 @ 3.5GHz box with 12GB DDR3 1600MHz and two 6950 2GB card in CrossFire
Intel i5-2500 box with 8GB DDR3 1600MHz and two MSI GeForce 560Ti 1GB SLI

without any issues at all.

I never had problems on my rig with either a 6970 or a 570. Is this a recent problem after a patch or something?

I've noticed slow downs in spots that will last like 30 seconds here and there but nothing else, great game.

Radeon 6950, 16GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4, Intel i5-2500K

No OC though, runs fine.

I've got an issue with game freezing for 10 seconds, and continuing on like nothing happened. This happened on a laptop;

i5-430m
4GB RAM
AMD 5470 (Intel GPU disabled)

Happens no matter what my settings are.

5850 Crossfire, the frame rate doesn't feel all that smooth at times. Also, I have to go into windowed mode when loading or otherwise the load times are very very long.

I just get crap performance at all times (esp when driving). Specs in sig

There is zero dif in performance between 1024x768 and 1920x1200. All settings the same.

It seems to be either a driver or engine issue. I didn't have this issue in Red Faction Armageddon

Specs in my signature...

With and without the 6870... the APU runs the game fine at high details, 1680x1050, no issues.

There is zero dif in performance between 1024x768 and 1920x1200. All settings the same.

It seems to be either a driver or engine issue. I didn't have this issue in Red Faction Armageddon

Sounds like my experiences with COD Black OPS. It's all because of the developer tools they use to make Xbox games. Then the game isn't ported properly to Vista/7. If you happen to have a spare hard drive go ahead and install XP 32bit on it. The game should run just great on XP.

For the people who say its fine, it isnt. Sig in rig, I don't run the game "buttery smooth" but I do get between 45-60fps, with AA on OR off. Something is wrong with the game.

For the people who say its fine, it isnt. Sig in rig, I don't run the game "buttery smooth" but I do get between 45-60fps, with AA on OR off. Something is wrong with the game.

I need to try turning off crossfire and see if that makes a difference. Do you think it might be that it just doesn't work well with multi-card setups?

Specs in my signature,

The game runs 10-35fps no matter the settings. Disabled crossfire and it runs about the same. Happens in both DX9, and DX10/11.

I need to try turning off crossfire and see if that makes a difference. Do you think it might be that it just doesn't work well with multi-card setups?

That could be true.. I've never tried turning off SLI. Might do that later to check it out.

New rig built on Friday/Saturday - no issues, just purchased the game on Saturday and enjoying the hell out of it.

I5 2500k running stock 3.3Ghz
Asus P8Z68-VPro Gen 3 Mobo
16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600 ram
Radeon 6870 1GB
Crucial M4 128 SSD (game running off SSD for now)

No crashes or noticed issues so far, running DX 10/11 mode at start of game.

Try this. Open the display.ini file

Code:
# Display options.
# This file is rewritten whenever options are changed in the menu.
# Toggle values can be true/false or 1/0. Everything else is a number.

ResolutionWidth = 1920
ResolutionHeight = 1200
RefreshRate = 60
MSAA_Level = 1
Fullscreen = false

Change fullscreen to false. Save and start the game in DX10/11 mode. Change back to full screen once in game. Also make sure the display.ini is not write protected. That worked for me for some odd reason.

No issues from day one. Fun game to play. Bloodrayne's voice which I could listen to all day. Nice ass rendering, heh heh.

I haven't noticed any issues with the game, and my CPU and GPU are overclocked by a decent amount. I'm using an AMD 940 Black X4 @ 3.6ghz and an AMD 6950 @ 925mhz/1300mhz, 8gb of 1066mhz DDR2 on Windows 7 x64. The game seems to be pretty smooth at 1900x1200 all the time, with everything cranked up (except for AA) as far as I can remember. Performance was a bit slow with AA enabled. I think the game defaulted to 8x AA.

I do want it to be known that SR 3's 3d support is not good, you'll get a headache trying to play that game in 3d

Game looks terrible and runs like crap on the system in my sig. Whether I'm playing at 1080P with a mix of med/low settings or in 4800x900, I can't keep framerate above 30fps, especially while driving. Game is a complete hog and doesn't even look good, at all. Too bad because its a really fun game, but man, is performance ever bad.

Game looks terrible and runs like crap on the system in my sig. Whether I'm playing at 1080P with a mix of med/low settings or in 4800x900, I can't keep framerate above 30fps, especially while driving. Game is a complete hog and doesn't even look good, at all. Too bad because its a really fun game, but man, is performance ever bad.

Is this in DX 9 or 10/11 mode?

Back