Bell Canada to Stop Throttling Your P2P Traffic

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For all of you Canadians on Bell Canada Internet, you will no longer have your P2P traffic throttled by the company. Beginning March 1st, both residential and business customers will no longer be subject to internet throttling…..and that’s the good news. Of course there is always the flip side to good news and that would be you will probably be paying more for the privilege as soon as Bell Canada sets up a billing system on a per usage basis.

Bell points out that improvements to its network and the proliferation of video streaming mean that the more nefarious traffic just isn't denting its capacity like it used to.

So bell improved their network overnight? Isn't it bell that wanted metered internet? Oh wait the government squashed that idea last week. Im glad i cancelled their dsl and their phone service.

Oh god. Two years down the road I'm sure Comcast will start usage billing. It's such garbage considering both Canada and the US have such a shitty internet infrastructure.

You guys can stop mentioning metered internet in Canada. That is done. There are packages that offer unlimited caps now.

You guys can stop mentioning metered internet in Canada. That is done. There are packages that offer unlimited caps now.

Really who? Other then TekSavvy in Ontario, what other ISP in Canada offers packages with no caps?

the real reason y they removed p2p throttling is because they want ppl to go over they caps so they can charge overages....

also, ONLY 3rd parties offers unlimited or large caps. The major ISPs here do not (i thankfully have an unlimited but i'm paying 68 bucks a month for it ><)

Simply because Bell says they are going to stop throttling P2P traffic, doesn't mean they are actually going to stop ...

I will believe it when I see it.

Really who? Other then TekSavvy in Ontario, what other ISP in Canada offers packages with no caps?

Bell Aliant in the maritimes doesn't have a cap. Then again it's also more expensive than what you'd pay in Ont.

The CRTC is filled with telco shills. They will always do what is right by business, not consumers. Bank on it.

I guess I should have explained further. Any decision that the big 3 are satisfied with is bad news for consumers. If Bell says they're giving you something, check your other pockets because I guaran-damn-tee it means they're taking it from somewhere else with interest.

They didn't build most of the infrastructure in Canada. Taxpayers did. That won't stop them from monetizing the hell out of it though. All with the CRTC's blessing.

Buyer beware.

Ya, ignore the unlimited lite. I'm more interested in the 100Mbps and 250mbps service. Caps are plenty high.

Teksavvy sucks anyway. They charge tons of money for service calls.

the real reason y they removed p2p throttling is because they want ppl to go over they caps so they can charge overages....

also, ONLY 3rd parties offers unlimited or large caps. The major ISPs here do not (i thankfully have an unlimited but i'm paying 68 bucks a month for it ><)
Maybe because they want to make more money by getting more customers.

Networks always assign more bandwith than what they actually have. Maybe they increased it to a point what they assign they actually have and more.

bell is alright, im switched from rogers express to fibe 12 13days ago and so far so good. 30dollar per month after tax on fibe12 w/ 90gb bandwidth.

side note dont use teksavvy. most shitty service ive ever had. my review on dslreport under the same username.

Bell is removing it for 2 reasons ...

1) so their own customers go over the pitifully low caps
2) because metered internet is not gone, it's just gone from UBB to AVP and bell/rogers/shaw got full approval to go ahead with it.

as for teksavvys service sucking, for every person you find who hates them, you'll find another who loves them (i've been with them for 4 years and never once had any hiccups or problems).

Back