Indian Court Orders Websites to Remove Content

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Twenty two Internet companies including Google and Facebook have been ordered to remove what was deemed “offensive content” by the courts. The objectionable material is classified as “anti-religious and anti-social” in nature. Critics of the ruling claim this action as an attempt to censor political opposition within the country.

India's Information Technology Act requires intermediaries like Internet service providers to remove content that is found objectionable within a period of 36 hours of being notified of the content.

With SOPA and NDAA being considered by the US government, anyone else get the feeling that in the future governments including ours want to control every aspect of our life and information?

Something along the lines of those dystopian, murky, dark, gritty futures that sci-fi literature describe in terrifying realism and detail. A future where every aspect of our life and the information we obtain, see, and hear are monitored, controlled, and censored by the government. A future where life imitates art.

It's going to be a sad future if the US degrades to such a level where the only thing protecting our civil rights and the Bill of Rights is nothing more than a thick, bulletproof glass in Washington, DC.

Indian version of SOPA? :p Just replace "Offensive Material" with allegedly pirated...

Who ever controls information control the future.
take away the rights, and fear monger and you control your population.

When other countries do this its because they are evil.

When we do this its because we are trying to stop evil. Its pretty hilarious when people talk about how other countries are out of line when they take the same actions as our government.

Remove the content in their country only, right? Because if it's worldwide and I was one of these large companies, I'd tell them to STFU.

With SOPA and NDAA being considered by the US government, anyone else get the feeling that in the future governments including ours want to control every aspect of our life and information?
Why do you think so many people are against it? It's NOT because we all welcome piracy and the ability to download whatever we want easily.

I'm scared because I saw ad spots showing how jobs are being lost due to piracy (really is a cheesy as fuck piece), and to help keep jobs in the US, tell your representatives you support SOPA

Something along the lines of those dystopian, murky, dark, gritty futures that sci-fi literature describe in terrifying realism and detail. A future where every aspect of our life and the information we obtain, see, and hear are monitored, controlled, and censored by the government. A future where life imitates art.

It's going to be a sad future if the US degrades to such a level where the only thing protecting our civil rights and the Bill of Rights is nothing more than a thick, bulletproof glass in Washington, DC.

Yep, and here is something more to be *very* concerned about. Just about every government in the world is run by s.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ues-dhs-over-social-media-monitoring-program/

A privacy advocacy group is suing the Department of Homeland Security for information about an emerging program designed to monitor social media activity.

Just think, this all started back in the 90s when some idiot demanded that the US release control the internet to the individual governments found around the world.

^Considering the US's recent attempts to censor the internet, I'm not against the US releasing absolute control over the internet. however, I also found the control being released as a stupid idea... mainly because a lot of the money spent in the internet came from the US. Other countries are adding in more money, but I do not think they have put in quite that much money just yet. So I don't think the US should have absolute control but it should be shared upon the people who has committed to it and helped it grow.

But... best of all is that it should be completely unregulated...

All these laws and acts being passed are actually getting scary. USA is turning into a dictatorship. They want to control all forms of media, information, entertainment etc.

One problem is the fact that the internet was originally created by the government, so they basically own it and can do what they want with it.

Yeah, I would like to see them try and enforce their request on US companies. What are they gonna do? Block every single website that continues to display "questionable" material? India, we have something called freedom of speech. We can pretty much say what we want and there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

All these laws and acts being passed are actually getting scary. USA is turning into a dictatorship. They want to control all forms of media, information, entertainment etc.

One problem is the fact that the internet was originally created by the government, so they basically own it and can do what they want with it.

Its not the US gooberment wanting to control the interwebs, its the corporations who owns the gooberment who wants to control the interwebs.

the internet was actually around long before the U.S got it, back in the 60/70's and a few countries had contributed to the original core of it, it wasnt until later that the U.S started using it and contributing more to it, either way, they are acting like they own it and they don't.

Yeah, I would like to see them try and enforce their request on US companies. What are they gonna do? Block every single website that continues to display "questionable" material? India, we have something called freedom of speech. We can pretty much say what we want and there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

Yes, basically, they could, and your so called freedom of speech is going to be limited more and more if laws like this pass, which it could since most people are too lazy to get off their asses and stand up for their rights, which seem to get stripped more and more every day....

Too bad most people in society, in every country, are mindless sheep

While you guys were distracted by the SOPA threat, congress passed and Obama signed the defense appropriations bill. This bill includes a new (and completely unconstitutional) law that allows the feds to arrest and imprison Americans indefinitely. Now here is the best part: no hearing, no trial, just life in gitmo. They'll probably haul me away just for saying this.

In 20 years, America has gone from one of the freest countries to one notch above North Korea.

While you guys were distracted by the SOPA threat, congress passed and Obama signed the defense appropriations bill. This bill includes a new (and completely unconstitutional) law that allows the feds to arrest and imprison Americans indefinitely. Now here is the best part: no hearing, no trial, just life in gitmo. They'll probably haul me away just for saying this.

In 20 years, America has gone from one of the freest countries to one notch above North Korea.

All I can say about that is... "Well, damn." I bet our Founding Fathers are just rolling in their graves right about now, or hiding their face in shame seeing how this country has now become.

I remember one website tried to make the NDAA bill look positive by saying that a lot of people were misunderstanding it. He tried to explain that only if you are affiliated with a terrorist group such as Al Qaida or the like, will this law apply to you.

However, any group of people or single person protesting against or showing ill intent against the US government can be classified as a terrorist. And, once that happens, this law applies to you. I've actually read the bill from beginning to end and it is absolutely vague. It makes no distinction between foreign or domestic terrorist groups, or groups protesting against the US government.

The one thing that is apparently clear: They can and will detain you without warrant, without a court appearance, without due process so long as they find you to be a terrorist or belong to a terrorist group... all in the name of national security and protecting the US.

Also, to add to what I wrote above, he also tried to explain that no American citizen will be subjected to this law, and that it only applies to terrorist groups or if you're affiliated with them.

That's the catch-- what kind of terrorist group? Domestic? Foreign like Al Qaida? Occupy Wall Street protesters?

See where I'm going at.

My coworkers and I were talking about this... and of course I was against this... but my co worker did mention this... while this law seems to be much longer, can't police already do this? Hold you under suspicion? for like 3 days? Though I guess a good lawyer can get you out earlier... I don't know how this law would affect that but considering the seeming severity a lawyer can't get you out of this newer law.

Yes for 3 days, and with a reason.. now they need no reason and you disappear for having an opinion.

Back