Stupid Criminals of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Stealing a boatload of video games and DVDs from Target. Check! Brag about it for hours. Check! Butt-dialing 911 so the operator can hear your whole plan. Check! Arrested soon after trying to sell stolen goods. Check!

According to police reports, one of the two would-be criminal masterminds somehow managed to dial 911 on the cell phone in his pocket shortly after their big Target score. Unaware of the 911 operator listening in on their conversation, the pair spent the better part of an hour discussing their caper, and when plans were made to sell off their ill-gotten gains at a local video game store police were waiting, guns drawn, broad smiles no doubt hidden beneath the stern grimace of authority.

hmmm...would be somewhat funny (obviously still not right though) if they dialed 911 on purpose and spouted out a fake plan to try to draw the police to the wrong place, and then ditch the phone in the trash somewhere.

hmmm...would be somewhat funny (obviously still not right though) if they dialed 911 on purpose and spouted out a fake plan to try to draw the police to the wrong place, and then ditch the phone in the trash somewhere.

I agree. I don't see how anyone could be this stupid - how do you butt-dial 911 anyways? It's not like you have the number stored in your phone (unless you call them often or something).

And then to discuss the plan the entire time without looking at their phone. I mean, holy cow, this makes all other stupid criminals look somewhat smart.

I know it's rare these days, but for a lot of phones that *aren't* touchscreens you can often just hold down the 9 key to dial 911. Not that it ever happened to me or anything. *cough*

Brilliant story though. I'd love to see or hear the 911 call center side of this as they all gathered around laughing at the idiots :)

My buddy "cock dialed" 911 twice at work with his LG android phone. We figured out that the he was using a pattern lock screen that has one touch access to 911 and he was turning is phone on and pressing the emergency call button all while it was in his front pocket. My daughter has the same phone and sure as shit you can use the touch screen through your clothes.

I had the 911 operator call me when I accidentally hit the 'emergency call' mode button on my old Blackberry (I didn't dial anything). I imagine that's what might have happened - unless the thieves put 911 in their contact list or speed dial for whatever reason.

Back