Wolverine Movie Uploader Gets Prison Sentence

HardOCP News

[H] News
The guy that uploaded an unfinished copy of Wolverine to the intertubes is heading to federal prison for a year. Yikes!

"The federal prison sentence handed down in this case sends a strong message of deterrence to would-be Internet pirates," U.S. attorney Andre Birotte Jr. said in a statement. "The Justice Department will pursue and prosecute persons who seek to steal the intellectual property of this nation."

so this guy gets more prison time than someone who commits a sexual assault, or even a drunk driver who does a head on into a minivan filled with kids?

We truly are a fucked nation.

Wow... A movie based on a comic is such high priority "Intellectual Property".

I see how they put "Megaupload" on the article.....hmmmmm. What a bunch of cocksmokes.

The asswipe that KILLED MJ got how much prison time again?

so this guy gets more prison time than someone who commits a sexual assault, or even a drunk driver who does a head on into a minivan filled with kids?

We truly are a fucked nation.

at least in IL thats a class x felony and good luck getting off with a year in jail

now if youare sober, moving violation.....drunk you are screwed

I'm sure I read some where that he had done this before and got in trouble for that.

The asswipe that KILLED MJ got how much prison time again?

Not even in the same realm. A doctor who, for all intents and purposes, was paid to give him drugs, that happened to mess up and overdose him is no "criminal" in my book. MJ wanted the drugs, the doc wanted the money for it, it was a mutual understanding.

Sure he goes to jail for doing it, but it's just as much MJ's fault for his death.

Eh, I don't really have too much sympathy for the guy.

Prision might be a little harsh, but if you're going to be the one uploading content for millions of other people to download, you should probably be a little more careful. They're trying to make an example out of him by showing what can happen if you share pirated content online.

He could of recieved a fellony, 5 years and a 250K dollar fine for it (as per the old FBI warning of VHS and DVD). If he just got caught downloading, he wouldn't be looking at jailtime right now.

1) Abortion is legal, she'll heal.
2) The world is overpopulated as it is.

But if piracy continues at this rate, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Adam Sandler and the like would barely break $80 million a year and might have to put off buying that vacation island in the Philippines for another four months. I hope you can sleep at night.

But if piracy continues at this rate, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Adam Sandler and the like would barely break $80 million a year and might have to put off buying that vacation island in the Philippines for another four months. I hope you can sleep at night.

Ben Stiller and Jack Black are in enough movies to make for any amount of piracy less than one hundred percent.

All joking aside, this does put human life lower then money. I'm as much of a hippie as the rest of you, but I still think it's wrong.

Sure jail time or in house arrest, but not 1 year of jail.

Come on guys, the law says it's felony so he gets prison. I agree that it's kind of messed up to put this guy in prison (considering that more serious criminals should be there and our taxes pay for his prison term) for sharing a movie but that's the law that was passed. So like dr.stevil said, it could have been worse. I don't feel bad for the guy and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Not even in the same realm. A doctor who, for all intents and purposes, was paid to give him drugs, that happened to mess up and overdose him is no "criminal" in my book. MJ wanted the drugs, the doc wanted the money for it, it was a mutual understanding.

Sure he goes to jail for doing it, but it's just as much MJ's fault for his death.
I couldn't disagree more. If a patient tells his doc, "Doc, give me some drugs that will kill me", it's not the doctor's responsibility to oblige.

I'm sure that it didn't help that Fox News showed everybody where and how to pirate their movie either.

good to see the courts have their priorities...

Yeah, the guy who took out two Atlanta Hospitals and put thousands at risk, if ever found, will probably get 2 weeks community service and probation for a week.

what a shitty movie to get sent away for, and an unfinished version at that!!! What a loser.

I can just imagine this guys first day with his cellmate ..

Cellmate: What're you in for?
Him: Piracy
Cellmate: Impressive, you steal a yacht or something?
Him: No, I uploaded Wolverine ..

And commence the assrape.

lol I doubt he'll be in with violent offenders/max security. It'll probably still suck though, but I doubt his is going to get traded for a cigarette :D

For me, it's not about the piracy part. It's about him stealing the workprint. It would get uploaded one way or another. But, this was a great copy (image wise) and was near DVD quality a month before the movie was released. He should go to jail for the theft of the movie.

Uploading it was a different story. But, it must have been easier to convict him on that one.

I doubt it will be a federal "pound me in the ass" prison.

See, he just didn't think big enough.. Instead of stealing a crappy unfinished movie he should have just created some fancy financial instrument that steals everybody's money, put it all into his overseas accounts, and nearly crashes the world economy.

Then instead of being in prison, he'd be a hero of capitalism. :D

Yeah, this is where IP laws get you. Happy now, those of you who support IP? We have our rights violated by the TSA on a daily basis, but we must crack down on "pirates"!

Oh and as it's the "intellectual property of this nation", if he is American, surely he owns it and can do what he wants with it? :p

He's not any danger to society, and yet rather than just getting a fine and continuing to be a productive person, he's going to be imprisoned on the taxpayers' dime and an able person will be removed from production and exposed to all kinds of miscreants.

What a stupid punishment.

All joking aside, this does put human life lower then money. I'm as much of a hippie as the rest of you, but I still think it's wrong.

Others also rarely consider the ramifications of even a shorter sentence though. From that point on you are a convicted felon, which carries various lifelong penalties in our society. It becomes more difficult to find a job (employers are allowed to ask if you've been convicted of a felony crime), you can't hold a CHL to protect yourself, you can't vote in some states, and more.

I don't mind the discrimination when we are talking about people that used a pump action shotgun to rob a convenience store.

But you have to ask yourself, am I really worried about someone that shared a movie online? How dangerous and harmful was that to myself or society at large?

Everyone is acting like he'll actually serve a year in jail, which is a crock as 1/3 of the sentence is normally all anyone serves, and if a jail is overcorwded he could possibly get out even before that his 4 months is completed.

Everyone is acting like he'll actually serve a year in jail, which is a crock as 1/3 of the sentence is normally all anyone serves, and if a jail is overcorwded he could possibly get out even before that his 4 months is completed.
Even 1 min. of jail time is too much for this "crime".

Others also rarely consider the ramifications of even a shorter sentence though. From that point on you are a convicted felon, which carries various lifelong penalties in our society. It becomes more difficult to find a job (employers are allowed to ask if you've been convicted of a felony crime), you can't hold a CHL to protect yourself, you can't vote in some states, and more.

I don't mind the discrimination when we are talking about people that used a pump action shotgun to rob a convenience store.

But you have to ask yourself, am I really worried about someone that shared a movie online? How dangerous and harmful was that to myself or society at large?

Well, to play devils advocate, allowing people to freely distribute things that they don't own devalues the work that was put into it.

So in that sense, it does harm society as a whole. If theres nothing in place to protect the content creators, manufacturers and inventors, why would anybody bother investing it in? You would see entire industries collapse and innovation would slow to a crawl. I'm not saying that Hollywood is full of great ideas by any means, but if you want to protect one industry you have to protect them all.

It's sort of like corporate espionage, it's nowhere near as bad as a rapist or serial killer IMO, but letting people off with a slap on the wrist would do nothing to discourage that behavior considering the potential ramifications it would have if it became a mainstream practice.

Would we have ever seen the Core2 chips from Intel if AMD was able to freely buy or share designs from an Intel employee? Probably not.

This isn't about downloading a movie. He uploaded the original content for everyone to enjoy months before the movie was to be released. That, IMO, deserves a pretty harsh punishment to discourage would be uploaders from sharing that content.

Again, I'm not fan of the MPAA/RIAA and their bullying tactics, nor am I a fan of most big Hollywood productions, but laws like this do have a place in society

The joke here is that they actually think the punishment will deter people from pirating.

Think again, douchebags.

Back