Chrome 15 Puts IE8 in Rear-View Mirror, Takes No. 1 Spot

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to StatCounter, what was predicted late last year has finally come to pass: Chrome has taken the top spot from Internet Explorer 8 as the most widely used browser. This is a first for Microsoft, but Chrome’s lead may be short lived if Microsoft has any say.

Those IE numbers will change if Microsoft new IE upgrading practices take hold. Today the company said it will automatically upgrade IE6 and IE7 on Windows XP to IE8, and upgrade IE7 and IE8 on Windows Vista and Windows 7 to IE9.

Chromes advantage its fucking fast and simple and clean low cpu useage low mem useage unless you open ass loads of tabs.

only opera has lower memory and cpu use and speed.

Of course IE8 is loosing market share. IE9 is growing since it is the latest version. IE9 is also the most secure browser and soon Microsoft will start updating the brower automatically. With that said, Chrome is leaner and faster

Sobering moment: IE still has the lead in overall share across all versions. We're getting there, though.

Chrome also seems to handle misbehaving plugins and pages far better. I can just kill the one page pegging the CPU instead of having to lose the entire browser.

Yeah I'm gonna have to go with, why even post this article?
Since when do we compare individual versions between browsers?
And of course IE8 is slipping, those users are upgrading to IE9. Anyone who puts stock in this as a step forward to dethroning IE is sorely mistaken.

To those who use Chrome what are some of the advantages over IE8?

It is easier to just explain that Internet Explorer (All Versions) are just plain terrible rather than list the advantages of Chrome and Firefox over it.

Unless of course you just enjoy dealing with malware, activex issues, Popups, Popups you need not appearing, Advertisements on any site you don't support, for example you would obviously allow them here. And a list of other things that make IE terrible unless you just hate your computer.

I deal with about 1500 computers every single day. The first thing that happens on them is FF/Chrome get installed with FF as default (for some compatibility with a few sites) and all IE shortcuts deleted. This office went from averaging 1-2 computers down on any given week due to malware to 1-2 every few months at most since I took over. I attribute a portion of that success to FF/Chrome and Adblock Plus. Honestly outside a few places that are required due to compatibility problems with old legacy sites that refuse to update, I fail to see why anyone once educated would use IE.

I used chrome until they removed the ability to use tabs in the sidebar instead of across the top in this last update.

I HAVE to have tabs on the side, so back to firefox for me

Chrome also seems to handle misbehaving plugins and pages far better. I can just kill the one page pegging the CPU instead of having to lose the entire browser.

Thats one of the main reasons why I switched from FF, not to mention it's fast as hell! Not crazy about Google, but man they got Chrome right.

You have to have tabs on the side? Why?

Because I prefer it that way, and my job is easier for me to do with tabs down the side. sure I could get used to tabs horizontally again, but i dont have too since firefox supports vertical tabs.

Cant edit, but also wanted to add. I'm pretty much blind in one eye. i have to wear an eye patch on my left eye just to be able to focus. I can see vertical tabs easier than horizontal.

It is easier to just explain that Internet Explorer (All Versions) are just plain terrible rather than list the advantages of Chrome and Firefox over it.

Unless of course you just enjoy dealing with malware, activex issues, Popups, Popups you need not appearing, Advertisements on any site you don't support, for example you would obviously allow them here. And a list of other things that make IE terrible unless you just hate your computer.

I deal with about 1500 computers every single day. The first thing that happens on them is FF/Chrome get installed with FF as default (for some compatibility with a few sites) and all IE shortcuts deleted. This office went from averaging 1-2 computers down on any given week due to malware to 1-2 every few months at most since I took over. I attribute a portion of that success to FF/Chrome and Adblock Plus. Honestly outside a few places that are required due to compatibility problems with old legacy sites that refuse to update, I fail to see why anyone once educated would use IE.

no malware in our office cause we block it at the gateway, also we use IE9 on all our rigs. I think most people who bash and say all version of IE are crap, really haven't used any new versions thoroughly. people can get just as much malware using chrome or any other browser if people are stupid enough to click yes to everything that pops up.

Thats one of the main reasons why I switched from FF, not to mention it's fast as hell! Not crazy about Google, but man they got Chrome right.

Download Chromium builds if the whole "Google" aspect of it really bothers you that much. Open source and not branded/bundled with Google services.

Maybe its because of googles spamming "GET CHROME NOAW MUTHERFUCKAR!!! ITS THE BESTEST" on google/youtube/everything when using something non chrome. It's kind of annoying, especially when you don't use chrome because...it's just the same as everything else with a whole new set of issues you aren't used to.

I never get this "this browser is faster" crap either. They are all pretty much the same. Some do have "instant" loading bars, but the page isn't loaded until 3 minutes later. I've especially never noticed the "OMFG SPEEED!!!" that chrome is supposed to have... :p

I've especially never noticed the "OMFG SPEEED!!!" that chrome is supposed to have... :p

There's not a huge difference on a fast PC, but on an old slow PC the difference is huge. My old P4-2.4ghz laptop can barely even run Firefox, while Chrome is almost as fast as it is on my desktop. That being said IE8 runs okay on that old laptop too, but Chrome runs faster and is newer (no arbitrary lack of new versions on XP).

the only thing I love about these is these software giants have suddenly put themselves in overdrive on improving each other's browser both in security and speed. that's the beauty of competition, not fanboism lol,

Maybe its because of googles spamming "GET CHROME NOAW MUTHERFUCKAR!!! ITS THE BESTEST" on google/youtube/everything when using something non chrome. It's kind of annoying, especially when you don't use chrome because...it's just the same as everything else with a whole new set of issues you aren't used to.

I never get this "this browser is faster" crap either. They are all pretty much the same. Some do have "instant" loading bars, but the page isn't loaded until 3 minutes later. I've especially never noticed the "OMFG SPEEED!!!" that chrome is supposed to have... :p

QFT. Those ads really annoyed the crap out of me....

Also, There is no speed difference across any computer that I have used between Firefox and Chrome. Maybe those really odd computer that should be in the recycle bin..

And you are more stupid that your users.

If your users click on "click me to get $1M", downloads shits and run...there is nothing any browser can do (except some smartscreen type of things where incidentally, IE shines). I have seen plenty of people getting malware type of add-ons installed in FF/Chrome and switching to IE cause their FF/Chrome has been "hijacked".

Try to learn how to manage computers and educate your users instead of blaming IE.

There's this. I've reinstalled a lot of PC's and yet, i've never actually seeked out a download for Chrome in any of them. It's always packaged with some sort of utility or linked from a website.

There's this. I've reinstalled a lot of PC's and yet, i've never actually seeked out a download for Chrome in any of them. It's always packaged with some sort of utility or linked from a website.

I hate it when ANY software is bundled in and asks to install with any program I'm instaling.

Have you used IE9 extensively? It's not bad at all, in fact I preferred it over Chrome/FF after a month of using each browser (Opera/Safari/Chrom/FF/IE9). And yes guys, that non-stop ads about using Chrome is annoying.

There's not a huge difference on a fast PC, but on an old slow PC the difference is huge. My old P4-2.4ghz laptop can barely even run Firefox, while Chrome is almost as fast as it is on my desktop. That being said IE8 runs okay on that old laptop too, but Chrome runs faster and is newer (no arbitrary lack of new versions on XP).

Doesn't opera have a mode specifically made for older systems? I know from linux VM system you can run it on almost anything.

Many OEM computers (asus, samsung, acer I know do) come with chrome preinstalled the asus laptop I got recently had it set as the default browser until I fixed it. Which might be the cause of more people using it.

To those who use Chrome what are some of the advantages over IE8?

From the rendering perspective, tremendously better HTML5 support and better compliance with W3C & CSS3 standards. In short, a better, more interactive web experience.

From the rendering perspective, tremendously better HTML5 support and better compliance with W3C & CSS3 standards. In short, a better, more interactive web experience.

You mean because google makes it's sites so they only properly work with chrome? :p

Many OEM computers (asus, samsung, acer I know do) come with chrome preinstalled the asus laptop I got recently had it set as the default browser until I fixed it. Which might be the cause of more people using it.
The same could be said about FF too. MY G/F has a laptop that came with FF preinstalled, also doesn't most Linux distos come with FF peinstalled as the default browser? So FF used most of the same tactics to get where they are too :D.
I use FF more than anything but they are far from any better about shit than Chrome is on how they get installed ;).

no malware in our office cause we block it at the gateway, also we use IE9 on all our rigs. I think most people who bash and say all version of IE are crap, really haven't used any new versions thoroughly. people can get just as much malware using chrome or any other browser if people are stupid enough to click yes to everything that pops up.

which is why I use Chrome and Firefox, Adblock stops them from ever getting the chance to click on the stupid crap that pops up because it never pops up.

And you are more stupid that your users.

If your users click on "click me to get $1M", downloads shits and run...there is nothing any browser can do (except some smartscreen type of things where incidentally, IE shines). I have seen plenty of people getting malware type of add-ons installed in FF/Chrome and switching to IE cause their FF/Chrome has been "hijacked".

Try to learn how to manage computers and educate your users instead of blaming IE.

Thanks for your input, but I prefer the approach of never give them the chance to click on stupid shit. If I ever decide I want to work harder I will make sure I consult you. Right at this point the only malware that hits my system comes from people plugging in their USB drives. I haven't had a web related malware incident in years.

Have you used IE9 extensively? It's not bad at all, in fact I preferred it over Chrome/FF after a month of using each browser (Opera/Safari/Chrom/FF/IE9). And yes guys, that non-stop ads about using Chrome is annoying.

Yes I have and it is just as awful as 8. Slightly faster, marginally better looking but suffers from just as many broken active x controls and website incompatibilities in our environment as 8 did. IE suffers from the problem of being far too aggressive with popup blocking or not aggressive enough, there is no middle ground with it.

I'm not using it until they have a bookmarks sidebar. Just shortsighted to not have one.

I've been using chrome for almost as long as its been out but the latest versions seem to be taking a turn for the worse performance wise, especially with video. I find myself drifting back to firefox more and more. The newest version of ff is pretty good. It's a total chrome ripoff interface-wise but seems to perform better.

Back