Sony Launches the PS Vita in Japan

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The PS Vita has hit the store shelves, in Japan at least. The second coming of the portable console features a quad-core processor, a 5” touchscreen and support for motion control.

The US and Europe will have to wait to get their own version of the PS Vita until February 2012.

Hopefully it sells well and gets awesome games. Interesting how different Nintendo's and Sony's approaches to hardware are - Nintendo goes for the minimalist route and focuses on one thing per generation, while Sony has thrown pretty much everything into the Vita. I know which company is going to make more per unit though.

God that thing is fricking huge I don't think I want one its not portable, I thought we had new standards of size because its the fucking future now. the 3ds is almost to big compared to the DS lite and psp.

it's almost as big as my brick 1989 gameboy or game gear or turbo express.

and Vita is the worst name ever.

And for that price the screen better be gorilla glass or something not the cheep scratch magnet the psp and Nintendo handhelds are.

If you live in a large city go to a local mall, and you'll probably run into a demo. For example in Atlanta they are in the Discover Mills food court until the 30th and you can preorder and take home a box for xmas. It felt and looked just like a slightly bigger PSP.

I was interested until they decided to make the SD card something you can only get from them...Sorry but no thanks. I am not paying 4 times the money for a SD card that is worthless for anything else.

looks pretty sweet. I can imagine some awesome strategy RPGS or turned base strategy games making great use of the touchscreen.

I just hope it isn't a retarded FPS-mill like the first PSP seemed to be.

looks pretty sweet. I can imagine some awesome strategy RPGS or turned base strategy games making great use of the touchscreen.

I just hope it isn't a retarded FPS-mill like the first PSP seemed to be.

Good RPGs are a rarity these days on any system... Western RPGs have their charms, but most don't quite have the same luster of those from a decade ago.

full.jpg

Will wait for some games before getting interested :D Would be great if it had expanded remote play features with the PS3...something which the PSP had but was largely ignored.

And for that price the screen better be gorilla glass or something not the cheep scratch magnet the psp and Nintendo handhelds are.

Isn't the DS a clamshell?

If you live in a large city go to a local mall, and you'll probably run into a demo. For example in Atlanta they are in the Discover Mills food court until the 30th and you can preorder and take home a box for xmas. It felt and looked just like a slightly bigger PSP.

Slightly bigger than the later slims or the larger original? The PSP has shrunk quite considerably from it's original form. Plus its got a load more stuff inside!

I was interested until they decided to make the SD card something you can only get from them...Sorry but no thanks. I am not paying 4 times the money for a SD card that is worthless for anything else.

There will be adapters. On the original PSP I just use microSD cards in a memorystick adapter for cheap 16gb cards. It's unlikely they have done a whole new system so once people work out the pin outs it will be a few weeks until this can be sorted with a $2 adapter.

How comfortable will this thing be to hold for longer than 15 minutes? That's one complaint I have of the PSP.

The original. It may have been a little thinner than the original PSP but it was hard to judge because they had them tethered to a metal stick. Either way, it's not something you will want to put in a pocket but if you have no issues with a 5 inch phone being too big then the size isn't going to bother you all that much.

If only this is what the Xperia Play was from the beginning.

I wouldn't mind paying a price premium to combine a PSVita and an Android smartphone into one. One less device to carry around in my pocket. :D

It's sold over 728,000 already, which is double the 3ds's launch day sales (though thats not saying much).

The original. It may have been a little thinner than the original PSP but it was hard to judge because they had them tethered to a metal stick. Either way, it's not something you will want to put in a pocket but if you have no issues with a 5 inch phone being too big then the size isn't going to bother you all that much.

According to the spec:

PSP 1000
74 mm (2.9 in) (h)
170 mm (6.7 in) (w)
23 mm (0.91 in) (d)

PSP Vita
83.55 mm (3.289 in) (h)
182 mm (7.2 in) (w)
18.6 mm (0.73 in) (d)

I suppose no version of the PSP, even the GO would fit into any persons pocket! The main size difference is probably from the 5" screen compared to the old units 4.3". It does weigh less than the original too, despite being slightly wider/taller. So is probably more portable.

Back