Made in Texas: Apple's A5 iPhone Chip

HardOCP News

[H] News
I find it funny that Apple buys its processors from Samsung, the very same company they are suing. Hey, at least the parts are made in the U.S. now.

Apple Inc is famous for relying on low-cost Asian manufacturers to both source and assemble its popular gadgets, but the consumer device giant recently started receiving a critical component in its iPad and iPhones from closer to home - Texas. The A5 processor - the brain in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 - is now made in a sprawling 1.6 million square feet factory in Austin owned by Korean electronics giant Samsung Electronics.

That and Subaru's, you can't buy a more American made car.

Teslas?

I never understand why people are so focused on the "manufacturing" or specifically "assembly" of a good. There are so many things involved in producing a good from identifying a concept, creating a design, creating the production process, identifying supplies, managing the logistics of inputs, marketing, managing the delivery to customers, selling to customers, taking care of customers, analyzing results.... etc.

I love my job doing the last and first part. Would any of you guys in this forum really trade your job for a spot at the assembly line?

If you can count working in a bacon factory, working on a freezing and packing line as assembly, then no, although I like building stuff so I probably wouldn't mind as long as the pay and benefits were equal or better than what I have now.

Would any of you guys in this forum really trade your job for a spot at the assembly line?

The main thing is that most of those things you listed are done by 1-10 people for an entire product line, whereas manufacturing is what, 100x that number?

The less people on unemployment sucking away my own hard earned cash the better. (and moreso I want the federal reserve to be burnt to the ground and replaced by the gold standard)

If you can count working in a bacon factory, working on a freezing and packing line as assembly, then no, although I like building stuff so I probably wouldn't mind as long as the pay and benefits were equal or better than what I have now.

Ok, however doing the same thing everyday wouldn't be very attractive to me.

I also have a problem with how people define manufacturing, but this blog post over at Slate illustrates my point 100x better:

... if I build a factory where people take fresh peas and put them in cans that's a "manufacturing" facility full of manufacturing jobs and people who "make things." But if I build a facility where people take fresh peas, mix them with some basil and a touch of mint, plus olive oil, parmigiano reggiano, and pine nuts then purée them to serve you a delicious pea pesto that's a lowly service sector employment cite that couldn't possibly generate good jobs. Similarly if I make pasta then dry it and stick it in boxes, I'm manufacturing. If I make fresh pasta and serve it to you on a plate with my pea pesto that's services. The difference between manufacturing and services is not an ontological void between making things and not making things. It's really a gap between putting things in boxes and not putting them in boxes. Like if you build a bookshelf and ship to a store and I buy it, that's manufacturing. If I hire you to come to my house and install custom built-in shelves, that's services.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2011/12/12/let_them_eat_food_preparation_jobs.html

The main thing is that most of those things you listed are done by 1-10 people for an entire product line, whereas manufacturing is what, 100x that number?

The less people on unemployment sucking away my own hard earned cash the better. (and moreso I want the federal reserve to be burnt to the ground and replaced by the gold standard)

Not if they use robots. I see 1-10 per product as a good thing. The less people we need to produce 1 thing the more things we can produce. It took a hefty chunk of the population to produce food 1000 years ago. So when you go to a local market, you can buy mostly food. Go to the markets of today and look at how many different things you can buy. That's because 1 person with a tractor and combine can produce a lot of food.

(I want all the gold to be melted and used only in places where it actually provides value such as heat insulation)

erm, no one note the irony that Samsung are making Apple chips seeing as they are in global litigation ?

Teslas?

I never understand why people are so focused on the "manufacturing" or specifically "assembly" of a good. There are so many things involved in producing a good from identifying a concept, creating a design, creating the production process, identifying supplies, managing the logistics of inputs, marketing, managing the delivery to customers, selling to customers, taking care of customers, analyzing results.... etc.

I love my job doing the last and first part. Would any of you guys in this forum really trade your job for a spot at the assembly line?

A healthy economy needs good paying jobs for people of all levels of education. Sometimes physically demanding jobs should also pay well, no?

erm, no one note the irony that Samsung are making Apple chips seeing as they are in global litigation ?

There are rumors that Apple has gone with another manufacturer for the A6. If so, I'm sure the litigation played a part.

A healthy economy needs good paying jobs for people of all levels of education. Sometimes physically demanding jobs should also pay well, no?

Sometimes, if only a few people can do it. As always, supply and demand will determine pay.

But I never said that physically demanding or assembly jobs are not worth it or any good. I am just saying that not everybody who is calling for or supporting the need for manufacturing jobs really wants to be in manufacturing. And I certainly do not want a job in assembly.

So let me get this. Apple used to make hardware components but then Apple offshored that task to save money. Now the jobs are right back here in the US and Apple no longer has the technical skill to manufacture hardware components. That's some funny shit.

So let me get this. Apple used to make hardware components but then Apple offshored that task to save money. Now the jobs are right back here in the US and Apple no longer has the technical skill to manufacture hardware components. That's some funny shit.

Apple doesn't make their own CPUs. They only recently started designing them for their own mobile devices.

Back