Not Even Thieves Want Your BlackBerry

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is a stick up! Give me all your cash, jewelry and...is that a BlackBerry? Ewww, you can keep that. :p

In case you needed more evidence of the BlackBerry plummet from relevancy or that iPhones are winning the smartphone war, a thief has been mugging Columbia's students and has, sadly, been handing back their lame BlackBerrys.

Even thieves have standards, apparently. Although to put a positive spin on it, for corporate phones it could be seen as an additional level of security. ;)

As a former Blackberry owner, I have to agree with the thief. I loved the hell out of my Blackberry until I went over to the iPhone over a year ago and holy shit, I've been missing out! Keep your Blackberries! I don't want it!

Haha, you know your business is f*cked when even the criminals don't want your crap.

blackberry was the hot new thing when i was in high school in the late 90s and 2000's and they cost tons of money then only rich bastard high school kids had them.

now they suck as much balls as the iphone nobody 99% of muggers are stupid bastards....

Or maybe he is smart to know that the fucking apple hipsters are dumb enough not to notice its a stolen phone and they will fucking buy anything no matter how much it sucks if apple made it.

blackberry was the hot new thing when i was in high school in the late 90s and 2000's and they cost tons of money then only rich bastard high school kids had them.

now they suck as much balls as the iphone nobody 99% of muggers are stupid bastards....

Or maybe he is smart to know that the fucking apple hipsters are dumb enough not to notice its a stolen phone and they will fucking buy anything no matter how much it sucks if apple made it.

You're a very bitter person. I recommend therapy.

Blackberry is still the corporate phone of choice, probably due to the style, push technology, security?

Today is my last day in sales, at a giant telecommunications company ( yay ).

What an idiot. He went to one of the top business schools in the world and expects iPhones? He should have went to NYU. ;)

This. Trendy items tend to keep thier value, and the not-so-bright-people who can't afford to have the latest and greatest are always suckers for a deal that's too good to be true.

As a former Blackberry owner, I have to agree with the thief. I loved the hell out of my Blackberry until I went over to the iPhone over a year ago and holy shit, I've been missing out! Keep your Blackberries! I don't want it!

I'm sure you love the short battery life on your iPhone too. (same as with Androids)

I can get 3-4 days on my 2 1/2 year old Blackberry, while others in the office are lucky if they can get through the day on a single charge with thier iPhones/Androids. The bigger problem is that if you have to charge your phone 2x a day, your going to wear out your battery in a year.

Please return to school. Your grammar is horrible. Also fanboys are fanboys. Fandroids are no better then iSheep.

I'm sure you love the short battery life on your iPhone too. (same as with Androids)

I can get 3-4 days on my 2 1/2 year old Blackberry, while others in the office are lucky if they can get through the day on a single charge with thier iPhones/Androids. The bigger problem is that if you have to charge your phone 2x a day, your going to wear out your battery in a year.

Yes, battery life IS better, because you aren't doing anything with your damn useless BB. ;)

This is from someone who went from an iPhone to a BB. :(

Not sure what Blackberry you're using but my previous Bold 9000 had the most abysmal battery life than any phone I've ever owned, including my current 3Gs. My 3Gs isn't all that bad. It's alive for the day and I charge it at bed time. So what?

turn off the 3g on that blackberry, you should get 2-3 days out of it (iphone/android should get an day use with 3g off)

I use an 2500mha bat on my HTC desire, I can use it for nearly 2 days now between charges with 3g on all the time (2g only I get 2days and an bit more)

Don't even get me started on Blackberry's battery life. If I even think about using it as an MP3 player, the battery will give out several hours before my Android phone does. That's just push email, occasional web lookups, screen off, music playing.

Not only do my Android phones have much longer battery lives, they are not a chore to use.

Even the first gen iPhone I used had better battery life than the Bold 9k.

turn off the 3g on that blackberry, you should get 2-3 days out of it (iphone/android should get an day use with 3g off)

I use an 2500mha bat on my HTC desire, I can use it for nearly 2 days now between charges with 3g on all the time (2g only I get 2days and an bit more)

And I have turned off 3G before just to see how much I could stretch battery life by. I made it to the end of the second day. On the stock 1600ma battery.

You mean wifi, right? Asking a smartphone user to turn off 3G is like asking a touchscreen phone user to turn off touchscreen. Why the hell would you want to do that?

Please return to school. Your grammar is horrible. Also fanboys are fanboys. Fandroids are no better then iSheep.

I agree that his grammar is atrocious however there is a tiny bit of truth in his ramblings. I think we all remember the story of a woman buying an "ipad" in the McDonalds parking lot and it turned out to just be an empty box with an ipad drawn? on it.

It's a no brainer that thieves target products that can be easily flipped to someone who has few morals. I have yet to see a story of someone getting duped by a crayon colored box with "android" written on it.

You have fanbois on both sides, but you have to admit in terms of people doing crazy things for iCrap -- Apple does indeed take the cake.

On a more agreeable note -- I think we should return to the way that if you are caught stealing we chop off your hand. Not only would it highly deter Tyrone or Jim Bob from stealing your stuff it would also mean everyone in Washington and Wall street would be rocking prosthetics.

And I have turned off 3G before just to see how much I could stretch battery life by. I made it to the end of the second day. On the stock 1600ma battery.

3G does suck down lots of juice indeed.

I have my rooted HTC evo with the sprint extended battery, if I turn of 3G (and yes I've tested this) i can go upwards of 3 possibly 4 days. I don't sit and watch movies on it, and for at least 12 hours of the day at work I'm in an area with very poor 3G service (add to that I'm not supposed to use my phone at work anyway) Throw in some Juice Defender free app and I can give any black berry a run for it's money.

They could give the blackberry away for free and noone would take them. Heck my dad got a free blackberry when he made some changes to his wireless plan......It's still in the box months later.

Sheesh. I'm guessing you people never bother to read a book in Winterhold huh? It's called ''Honor Amongst Thieves''. Read it.

So I buy a mac to be virus free and a blackberry to not get mugged? Both very good selling points ;)

I had somebody get in my car, take down to the pennies, and left the Garmin GPS that they plainly had to move to get to the pennies.

For thieves its all about the easy of getting rid of a hot item and making some money. Blackberrys have nowhere near the resale value of something like an iPhone. Case in point I sold my wifes old iPhone 3G on ebay a few weeks ago for $133.50, scratches, crack and all. That's a 3.5 year old phone, the only Blackberry that sells for the same price are the very recent models. RIM's marketshare has plummeted to less than 12%, the value of their used equipment makes stealing them pretty worthless.

Let's also not forget RIM's system that allows them to make the phone unusable by having them disable the PIN. That hurts a large majority of the Blackberry resale value for stolen phones. But let's just ignore this and act like the only reason why they don't want it is because it's not a very popular/good phone(because well, it isn't).

You mean wifi, right? Asking a smartphone user to turn off 3G is like asking a touchscreen phone user to turn off touchscreen. Why the hell would you want to do that?

you need to think bit more before posting

turn 3g on when you need fast browsing or YouTube, maps

for longer bat life use 2g and better reliability for making and receiving phone calls (iphone issues) as 3g can be unreliable some times (opera mini for android and iPhone still works well even on 2g just make sure image quality is set low so its compressed more)

blackberry only needs 3g for YouTube and maybe browsing when not using opera mini

I interned for a company over the summer that uses Crackberries for their work phones. Between the horror stories of problems with the phones (one case, the screen wouldn't shut off and required yanking the battery out) and the god awful Sprint service (mind you, this was in Phoenix, and I had to experience the bad service with the company-issued Motorola cellphone), it stood to reason that they preferred their iPhones (on the AT&T network). One guy even had his calls forward from his business number to his personal phone.

Technically it should be "Not Even A Thief Wants Your BlackBerry" as it's only one guy! :p

Seriously, why hasn't he been caught yet? :confused:

This story would be well suited for Gizmodo, not [H].

Your punctuation and spelling are atrocious! Take a seat next to Cube.

It really depends what you use it for. My iPhone will last a couple of days if I'm not using it for much, just checking emails occasionally. If I start browsing with it for significant periods of time, it'll drop to a day. I've never had to recharge it more than once a day, and often I'll forget to recharge it and it usually makes it through the next day as well. When I was roaming, so only using the phone here and there for not much, it'd last ages.

For thieves its all about the easy of getting rid of a hot item and making some money. Blackberrys have nowhere near the resale value of something like an iPhone. Case in point I sold my wifes old iPhone 3G on ebay a few weeks ago for $133.50, scratches, crack and all. That's a 3.5 year old phone, the only Blackberry that sells for the same price are the very recent models. RIM's marketshare has plummeted to less than 12%, the value of their used equipment makes stealing them pretty worthless.

Resale is about the same (if not better) on Blackberries. You're a little misinformed and not correctly evaluating depreciation or company value.

I gave a relative my old Blackberry since I just got the new 9930. I sold the 9630 (released in 2009) for $80. ...I only paid $100 for it a few years ago. That means that I only lost $20 for a few years of use. How much did you pay for the iPhone 3G? $200? $300? That actually means that you took a larger hit on depreciation. Mind you, my Blackberry comparison is with CDMA phones. If I compare unlocked GSM phones, the resale value goes up.

Blackberries have multiple tiers, not just one model. The "problem" for a thief is that a Blackberry Curve is worthless, but a Bold is not. I mean, a Curve is $50 brand new anyways. iPhone only has 1 current model. ...makes things much easier for a dumbass that's robbing people.

Your use of market share is also grossly innacurate. Most people get this wrong though... Markets RARELY remain at a constant. For an assessment, you'd actually have to use raw numbers. Percentage means nothing in valuation. If you actually did look at Blackberry's financials, you'd notice that just about everything tripled in comparison to 2008. What's that ACTUALLY mean then? They sold more phones, but market growth outpaced their sales. Not a big deal really (unless their actual sales dropped, which isn't the case).

Not sure what Blackberry you're using but my previous Bold 9000 had the most abysmal battery life than any phone I've ever owned, including my current 3Gs. My 3Gs isn't all that bad. It's alive for the day and I charge it at bed time. So what?

Same for my droid incredible... Plug in at bedtime, good for the day easily. Who cares otherwise?

Back