Mythbusters' Cannonball Misfire Still Reverberating

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dang it, why didn't the Mythbusters shoot my house with a cannonball? No one was hurt, the damage will be more than paid for and you get to meet the cast! Hit the link for the full explanation and a lot more pictures.

Residential neighborhood 700 yards from a bomb disposal site? Uhhhhh

Residential neighborhood 700 yards from a bomb disposal site? Uhhhhh

700 yards outside the perimeter of the bomb site. And it isn't quite built to keep cannonballs in. Apparenty the barrel was pointed high up while they were calibrating and was not meant to be fired.

The site was there before they moved in. Tough.

Bwahahahah. That's what they say about airports at least when there are noise complaints :)

Today we'll test the myth if Mythbusters can stay on the air after shooting a cannonball into a highly populated residential area.

I was an accident. They just have to do their PR and spin doctoring right.

Anyone know how fast that thing was going to penetrate a house, cross a road, damage a roof and then come to rest inside a minivan? It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely curious.

Today we'll test the myth if Mythbusters can stay on the air after shooting a cannonball into a highly populated residential area.

Considering the residents there were excited about them showing up, including the woman who owned the house, I think they will be alright. Probably quite a bit leaner in the pockets though...

In theory, they fix the damages, maybe pay some compensation for good will, adjust safety procedures, and move on.

But folks, this is the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. The land of Extreme Over-Reaction.

So, given this is the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, the following new laws are probably already being constructed for mass-signage by the Governor, and they will pass simply because they sound like they 'protect' people.

1. The sale of cannons in TPROK is hereby forbidden.

2. The sale of Bowling Balls in TPROK is hereby forbidden, as they can be used as Cannon Balls.

3. The carrying of concealed Cannon Balls or Bowling Balls are hereby forbidden.

4. The carrying of a Bowling Ball in a Bowling Ball bag is considered concealed, and thus illegal.
5. The transportation of a Bowling Ball in a concealed Bowling Ball Bag requires the Bowling Ball have all finger holes filled in so as to make it inoperable.

6. Since Law #5 would make the Bowling Ball even easier to use as a Canon Ball, Bowling Balls modified as per Law #5 are still illegal, and since it is now more of a Cannon Ball than a Bowling Ball, the open carry of said Bowling Ball is also now illegal.

7. Based on the laws listed above, the act and/or sport of Bowling is now classified as illegal. All Bowling Alleys must be turned into Shelters.

These new laws should go a long way towards protecting TPROK from such criminal acts of Science.

This thread has made my day! Still I don't think I will be using twiiter.

The first thing I though wne someone told me and i asked, did anyone get hurt? When the answer was No I went DARN! The thing about it is, they have professionals and clearance to do these things so... don't know if that is going to be pulled from them and I'd like to see the Gov. report that you know has to be filed on the incident.

Seems they handled this very well. They immediately took responsibility, proactively offered help and even personally made sure everything was handled correctly.

Ya know...a lot of companies and people could learn from this example.

3300 ft.

THATS A WIN FOR SCIENCE!

Its very good no one was hurt, and the Mythbusters have used said firing range for many a tests (100+ I think now) and never with an incident, so its just good no one was hurt this time, and grats to Alamino county (or whichever county it is) for wanting to look into making it a better range so this doesnt happena gain and grats to the Mythbusters for all contributing to the apology and stepping up to their mistake as well and taking future precautions for the next experiments.

Considering the residents there were excited about them showing up, including the woman who owned the house, I think they will be alright. Probably quite a bit leaner in the pockets though...

If people behave rationally and keep the lawyers at least at arms length there can be positive out of this. However, if the lawyers are allowed to get close to this...nothing good will happen.

In theory, they fix the damages, maybe pay some compensation for good will, adjust safety procedures, and move on.

But folks, this is the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. The land of Extreme Over-Reaction.

These new laws should go a long way towards protecting TPROK from such criminal acts of Science.

Thanks for this; the more bad press we get, the less people from flyover states will come over here and annoy us with their gaping at our amazing state!

If people behave rationally and keep the lawyers at least at arms length there can be positive out of this. However, if the lawyers are allowed to get close to this...nothing good will happen.

That's true...but it would certainly be hard to show damages outside of the minimal property damage. I doubt this will keep Mythbusters off the air.

Amazed that TV is still on.

I rememeber a YouTube video showing what a tool Jamie was. He was walking around his shop and complaining about how worthless his employees are and that there are suppose to be 3 pencils in this area and there are only 2 pencils , etc, etc.

Amazed that TV is still on.

I rememeber a YouTube video showing what a tool Jamie was. He was walking around his shop and complaining about how worthless his employees are and that there are suppose to be 3 pencils in this area and there are only 2 pencils , etc, etc.

Everyone has bad days. But since you seem to like focusing on those kind of things..it indicates a lot about your character.

Everyone has bad days. But since you seem to like focusing on those kind of things..it indicates a lot about your character.
I'd make a quip about the fact that his name is "Dr. Righteous," but I'm laughing too hardily.

I was an accident. They just have to do their PR and spin doctoring right.

LOL, "it was an accident." That's what you say when you sleep with your bros ex at a party. Shooting a cannonball into a couple houses is a crime. Apologizing isn't sufficient. The lack of injury just makes it a lesser crime.

LOL, "it was an accident." That's what you say when you sleep with your bros ex at a party. Shooting a cannonball into a couple houses is a crime. Apologizing isn't sufficient. The lack of injury just makes it a lesser crime.

Ehh. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think it would qualify as a crime. Could the affected parties sue and be awarded compensatory and punitive damages? Definitely. But as long as Mythbusters were acting in a reasonably safe fashion, I don't think a crime was committed.

So, given this is the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, the following new laws are probably already being constructed for mass-signage by the Governor, and they will pass simply because they sound like they 'protect' people.

2. The sale of Bowling Balls in TPROK is hereby forbidden, as they can be used as Cannon Balls.

3. The carrying of concealed Cannon Balls or Bowling Balls are hereby forbidden.

4. The carrying of a Bowling Ball in a Bowling Ball bag is considered concealed, and thus illegal.
5. The transportation of a Bowling Ball in a concealed Bowling Ball Bag requires the Bowling Ball have all finger holes filled in so as to make it inoperable.

6. Since Law #5 would make the Bowling Ball even easier to use as a Canon Ball, Bowling Balls modified as per Law #5 are still illegal, and since it is now more of a Cannon Ball than a Bowling Ball, the open carry of said Bowling Ball is also now illegal.

7. Based on the laws listed above, the act and/or sport of Bowling is now classified as illegal. All Bowling Alleys must be turned into Shelters.

LMAO.

PRK residents will soon flock to Nevada to get their bowling fix while Cali DOJ spooks shadow them across the state line...

I would have demanded sex with Kari. Who cares about repairs a hole in the wall is fine....sex with Kari would have been the only solution to remedy the issue.

LMAO.

PRK residents will soon flock to Nevada to get their bowling fix while Cali DOJ spooks shadow them across the state line...

In Arizona you can bowl *and* shoot concealed cannons. As long as they're pointed towards Mexico.

Yeah, a city in Alameda County is not considered a San Francisco neighboorhood by any means. Dublin is not even Bay Area.

I understand shit happens, but this is different, this is cool shit!

If it had been my place that was damaged, I would gladly accept a personal apology from Kari herself... *hubba hubba lol* She makes science s-e-x-y and worthwhile to watch!

Thanks for this; the more bad press we get, the less people from flyover states will come over here and annoy us with their gaping at our amazing state!

Isn't everything between Vegas and New York a flyover state? :D

Seriously though, this will just give the show more press. I guarantee more people will watch it in the spring because they remembered this incident. The show is great so I have no problems with that.

Post of the day , just awsome!

Anyone know how fast that thing was going to penetrate a house, cross a road, damage a roof and then come to rest inside a minivan? It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely curious.

The news report yesterday said 1000 ft/second.

+1 lol.. being a east coast transplant in California, Ive noticed some of things about this state is comical.. though I still love it here!

Too bad they won't air that episode. :( I bet it would've been one of their more highly rated ones.

If their ratings ever dip too low all they have to do is have Kari go topless on an episode. They can blur out her nips, it won't matter. Now to find an experiment to justify that. I'm sure they can come up with something.

I mean hey, they did the one where they jammed microphones in her pants to see "if women fart". So the show isn't 100% class.

Back